Noisy shouldn't be an interface screw

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 13:40

Noisy shouldn't be an interface screw

I've been using a couple noisy-branded weapons recently, and while all is understandable and the flavor is there, the weapon has also launched a few sounds that indicate portal timeout. This includes the "rushing water" message from a sewer expiring. While the sewer is obviously not in Gehenna: 6, with my settings, this causes stop messages.

I don't want to ignore the "rushing water" and similar timeout messages.

The mechanical intent of Noisy is to drive nearby monsters to your location, nothing more.
The thematic intent of Noisy is to provide amusing text to the message list, which I tend to ignore because autoexplore/tab.

Noisy should be prevented from using messages reserved for portal timeout which may interfere with gameplay.

Opinions?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 15:40

Re: Noisy shouldn't be an interface screw

Agreed.
Somewhat related - unless there is an init option to automatically stop you whenever you're rotting that I am not aware of, "You smell decay" is both a useless flavor message and a sign that you're rotting. I want to use force_more on the latter, without being stopped by the former.

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 15:59

Apparently this was always a weapon noise message, and sewers just ended up duplicating it coincidentally when they had timeout messages added. Fixed.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st September 2013, 03:21

Cool. As you know my heavy history of creating bugs for Mantis, I figured I'd get opinions here first. I did think it was a bug, but wasn't sure if it was intended to be a sort-of slap-in-the-face for Noisy players.

Not sure if you want to also eliminate "You hear a grinding noise" from the list, which implies wall destruction; either I missed a boring beetle on the level, or it's also a qualified sound. At least, based on my experience, it doesn't replicate the jelly floor item consumption sound.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion