Bring the fantasy to "fantasy" theme = more original lore

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 05:45

Bring the fantasy to "fantasy" theme = more original lore

Most "Fantasy" themed games are not very "fantastic" at all, mostly ripping off D&D, which was ripping off Tolkien, who was mostly mixing Norse, Finnish, English and whatnot mythology.
Unfortunately this applies to Crawl too, there are the same orcs, elves, dwarves, trolls, ogres, kobolds and et cetera as in every "fantasy" game.
Now in some cases this is useful of course, as Orcs and Elves are familiar and recognizable for everyone.
Especially if it's about camp-humour or parody making fun about the cliches.

"Fantasy" is supposed to be about imagination, something that does not exist in real world and no-one has ever even thought about to be possible.
Good fantasy should drop your jaw, seeing Lady of Pain first time in Planescape Torment comes to my mind as an example of this.

So i challenge the devs to bring more original lore to Crawl.
There are already good examples of this, like Ashenzari, Jiyva, Tengus, Felids and Octopodes being quite original in the genre.

I suppose such changes would have to be introduced slowly.
Just as example Orcs and Dwarves could be renamed, given some background lore and some kind of original flavors added.

Like Orcs = Urzi, human-pig hybrid creatures living on the hills, who worship their god Beogh. They have been in war with Dvers (aka former Dwarves) for millennias.
The Dver have affinity with earth (like now). This Urzi like to torch things, including Dver villages.
HIgh Elves could renamed too, given affinity with nature and have Fedhas as god of choice for their priests.

Note that this was just an example sketched in 5 minutes before coffee break.
Just renaming species is not enough though, as they would need more background lore and possible some changes to affinities or abilities to be more original.
And definitely the adding of originality should not be done as in my example. But it should give some idea of what level of changes would be needed.

Note that the point of this post is to not bitch about Crawl, i enjoy it very much, even with Orcs and Elves :)
But there are possibilities to raise the bar even further.

edit: Looks like i posted to wrong forum instead of game design discussion. Could this be moved?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 07:33

Re: Bring the fantasy to "fantasy" theme = more original lor

I'm all for unique species being added, lava orcs/djinni/gargoyles are potentially making their way into 0.13.
Not sure about cleansing the game of more generic species though. :cry:

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 11:34

hannobal: I don't care much about "fantasy" but I dislike the tropes myself, too. On the other hand, I am a sucker for classical mythology and for history, and this is why you have deep dwarves and ziggurats in the game. By the way, especially regarding dwarves your suggestion is not valid: MD was the stereotypical Tolkien and D&D dwarf, and DD is distinctly not. I was inspired by the original Norse mythos (truth to be told, all of dwarves, elves, kobolds, sprites etc. were invented by people as ghost-like things...).

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 11:40

It should be noted, though, that some of the thematic fantasy elements are implicit in the game mechanics. Orcs, for example, are not your typical standard fantasy fare, but obviously a caste of religious warriors, disciplined and pious (high invocation). Rather crawl's Klingons than Tolkienesque orcs.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

For this message the author Utis has received thanks:
hannobal

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 13:12

Simply changing the names of species may satisfy some desire for uniqueness, but the classical labels make it easier for people to connect with the game, and quicker to get past those tropes into the heart of the game itself, which is sufficiently different (to me) from anything else with a "fantasy" theme or an "RPG" model.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 14:14

Crawl has a great mix of recognisable lore and creative new elements, which I think is the best way to approach it since one of the best thing about crawl is that it is very transparent and intuitive. New players can recognise what elves and dwarfs generally are, renaming or changing the flavour would only hinder this with no gain to the game play.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 23:46

In my opinion, there is one area where Crawl does not have sufficient original fantasy: more spells should be named after wizards. Invent more wizards, and then name spells after them!

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 04:40

I was thinking more about this yesterday, and maybe it's good to have some familiar lore (including some races) to make newbies feel more at home, like others have said in the posts above.
After all it's a dungeon crawl with simple graphics, where focus is more on game mechanics and action instead of immersion.

I've been glad to see that new content added during the last two years has been quite original and innovative.
So could be the best way to keep going forward like that and leave old races as they are.

Deep dwarves really are more original than the hill dwarves of the past.
It's also great that even the exotic races are valid choices, not just gimmicks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 07:50

People rip on D&D's unoriginality a lot but there was some crazy ass stuff in there. Fiend Folio anyone? Crawl's mix of stock and original stuff is close to the original eclectic spirit of D&D.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 08:18

Grimm wrote:People rip on D&D's unoriginality a lot but there was some crazy ass stuff in there. Fiend Folio anyone? Crawl's mix of stock and original stuff is close to the original eclectic spirit of D&D.

"Any character who enters melee with an Eclectic Spirit will be rigorously elocuted about the good ol' days of D&D for 2d4+1 rounds, forcing a Save vs. Sleep."
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 15:21

Out of curiosity, is there an official dev position on dungeon decorations? I feel that some of the regular dungeon layouts are already evocative of certain concepts (for instance, the small cross shaped one reminds me of a great hall, whereas the big circle reminds me of a coliseum) and I think it would be interesting to add a little fluff to them to make them stand out thematically more. (color the walls differently in the "great hall" and have them say "a tapestry of foo" when examined, or randomly spawn skeletons on the ground in the coliseum).
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 17:32

I'm not sure that Crawl needs more original lore or, really, if it needs lore at all. Supposing that we added the backstory concerning renamed orcs and dwarves, where would players learn about it? On the wiki? There doesn't seem to be much room in the game to carry that information. Also, Tengu are creatures out of Japanese mythology and, correspondingly, many versions of them appear in a lot of fantasy works.

At least for me, the appeal of crawl is entirely mechanically focused and it delivers a very clean but deep experience in that regard. Using "orc", "elf" and "dwarf" allows the game to carry a lot of information to the players in a single word, lowering the barrier of entry for new players. In a sense, this is exactly what tropes are for.

I'm not against the inclusion of more lore, or even the alteration of existing lore, on principle, but I don't see the need for it, and I also don't think the game has enough vehicles to carry lore.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 18:15

I see what hannobal is getting at but I agree with the subsequent posters' opinions. For me Crawl is more about enjoyment and game mechanics - the themes and names are to an extent not so important. Creating a whole new mythos might be nice for a new game, but to chop and change an established game is in my view unnecessary. As mentioned above, standard fantasy fare and terminology makes for an easier game to get into for newer players and of course does not tamper with what long standing players are used to. I agree that new introductions (which happens with each new release) are nice and make for more interest and are most welcome.

As for the view that most fantasy themes are derived from D&D and Tolkien, quite - however how does one define 'Fantasy'? One could argue that somewhere along the line the likes of "Ashenzari, Jiyva, Tengus, Felids and Octopodes being quite original in the genre" are derived from other sources of fantasy or 'Science Fantasy/Fiction'. Lovecraft springs to mind...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 18:43

TeshiAlair wrote:Out of curiosity, is there an official dev position on dungeon decorations? I feel that some of the regular dungeon layouts are already evocative of certain concepts (for instance, the small cross shaped one reminds me of a great hall, whereas the big circle reminds me of a coliseum) and I think it would be interesting to add a little fluff to them to make them stand out thematically more. (color the walls differently in the "great hall" and have them say "a tapestry of foo" when examined, or randomly spawn skeletons on the ground in the coliseum).

You mean, is there an official dev position on dungeon vaults...?

Renaming dungeon features (like rock walls to "tapestry of foo") just for cosmetic effects is sometimes frowned upon but it's not hard to make a vault that's just a giant hall with recolored walls and some dead things lying around.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 18:48

With regards to changing colors and features and so on, the official position is "use sparingly." When everyone's special, no one will be.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 18:52

You can do a lot with a little. There are several vaults that convey a "story" with clever arrangement of monsters, corpses and items.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 19:42

Only rules are no all caps or blink tags.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 20:20

I'm not sure why this needs to be said, but it seems like it does:

Fantasy the Genre != Fantasy the word in the dictionary.

As a genre, Fantasy is somewhat defined (and admittedly broader than just Tolkien and D&D), and going against the expectations and tropes of the genre changes the genre. You could replace the word Fantasy in the genre with any other word, and the arguement that it's not imaginative falls apart. If the genre were Steampunk, and the game were EXACTLY the same in all gameplay and content, simply with words and names fitting the Steampunk Genre, you wouldn't feel as you do about this.

Original lore is good in small amounts where it doesn't break immersion. If the lore is completely different, it's no longer Fantasy as a genre. If it's really your fantasy to see a game done this way, there are some great roguelikes out there with very custom and unique Intellectual Property. I love Gearhead Arena, for example, which has it's own unique style and story. There aren't dragons or trolls or orcs or other staples of the Fantasy Genre, because the genre is Steampunk (or maybe Futurepunk. not sure how i'd classify it). It's imaginative. It's unique. It's a fantasy. Fantasy (the genre) can be imaginative too, but imagination is hardly the definition of the genre itself, as you seem to think. Certain things simply should be how they are.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th September 2013, 20:56

I like storytelling a lot, and I think Crawl is a great tool for it but there are -- in my opinion -- two ways how not to go about it: first, no walls of text (compare Nethack's creation blurb screen at game start); second, no purely thematic changes of tiles, glyphs or monsters.

Examples of storytelling that I like: Slime and whatever it was before, also including the slime god; the orcs, their society and religion; the orb, heavily protected and when all else fails, even the pan lords chime in. You see, in neither of these cases there is an explicite story, but there are enough pieces that players can feel these are parts of a larger picture. On a smaller level, many uniques have a story, pieces of which they may tell via speech lines.

Of course, all of this takes a backseat behind gameplay and interface.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
Klown, Utis

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 11:44

Yes, the implicit storytelling is something that I think crawl does very, very well. I'm not so convinced, though, that storytelling really does (or should take) a backseat behind game mechanics. Rather, I think that crawl has a particular way of combining game mechanics with storytelling that I, personally, prefer to many other ways. The thing is: Make a thought experiment: Without storytelling at all, it would be a game of balancing arbitrary numbers and positioning arbitrary ASCII characters on a computer screen. It's not, it's a game of dungeon exploration and survival.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 22:46

Utis: You will witness that virtually everything added in the last years cares about flavour. I just name three random examples: Yiuf, Cheibriados, wizlabs. It is true that old and new features should be thematically linked and while DCSS sadly has sacrificed some flavour to balance or interface (I am thinking of the spears of berserkers, the portal altars of Nemelex worshippers, the colouring of toadstools, for example), many gameplay improvements did add flavour -- think of the many new and revamped uniques, or branches like Abyss, Orc, Shoals, or new and revamped gods like Elyvilon, Fedhas etc.

What I meant above is this: gameplay is crucial, flavour is cheap.

Basically, awesome gameplay ideas (e.g. interesting new monsters) are hard to come up with; finding theme for a gameplay concept is much easier. That nonewithstanding, it's of course also true that many good gameplay ideas are actually inspired by flavour -- these two are nowhere mutually exclusive.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 23:50

Utis wrote: Without storytelling at all, it would be a game of balancing arbitrary numbers and positioning arbitrary ASCII characters on a computer screen. It's not, it's a game of dungeon exploration and survival.

You don't need to have hp bars and kobolds for a game to be about survival

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks: 2
Grimm, shock

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 23:52

OEJ: This must be pre-Restoration period, right?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 20th September 2013, 23:55

I got that image off of google image search but I remember one above tengen being a famous tesuji in a fairly old game so probably

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st September 2013, 03:44

looks like the Vaults welcoming party

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
Amnesiac

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 22nd September 2013, 07:38

That image is the famous "ear-reddening move" by Shusaku in 1846.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_reddening_game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3MmTlK5WY

For this message the author shock has received thanks: 2
dpeg, Grimm

Return to Game Design Discussion