Condense Fruits

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 00:15

Condense Fruits

There are 13 types of fruit, some of which are completely identical [{Orange, Banana, Lemon}; {Pear, Apple, Apricot}; {Choko, Rambutan, Lychee}]. The last set is completely unheard of by most American and British players.
Having multiple kinds of fruit adds a little flavor, I guess, but it's not worth spending that many inventory slots on for a Fedhas Worshipper or simple Omnivore character.
I'd like to suggest collapsing it to two. Like Bananas and Grapes.

Similarly collapsing Cheese and Pizza to one slot and Beef Jerky and Sausage to one slot wouldn't lose much but would save inventory slots.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 00:43

Re: Condense Fruits

bcadren wrote:Similarly collapsing Cheese and Pizza to one slot and Beef Jerky and Sausage to one slot wouldn't lose much but would save inventory slots.

Saving inventory slots wouldn't be the reason for this; limiting interface annoyance would be. Is it that bad right now? I don't think so. Maybe a bit for Fedhas worshipers, but that's about it. Stacking would be fine, it wouldn't be THAT big of a difference one way or the other when it comes to fruit, but again, this should be implemented to streamline things, not to buff inventory space.

If anything the 52 inventory slot max should be made MORE, not LESS, meaningful as a constraint. But sacrificing convenience and straightforwardness of commands by giving up fruit stacking is probably not a good MANNER in which to make that maximum matter more.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 02:42

minmay wrote:I'd PREFER to make food WORK something like GOLD and RUNES do, where they DON'T take up SLOTS in your INVENTORY. But that's JUST my OPINION.

THEN I am pleased to ANNOUNCE that we AGREE at least as to the CONCLUSION if not the REASONING. You HAVE to excuse ME I have TOURETTE SYNDROME of the FINGERS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 04:58

bcadren wrote:{Choko, Rambutan, Lychee}]. The last set is completely unheard of by most American and British players.

This is not a good reason.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks: 2
MIC132, savageorange

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 10:36

and into wrote:THEN I am pleased to ANNOUNCE that we AGREE at least as to the CONCLUSION if not the REASONING. You HAVE to excuse ME I have TOURETTE SYNDROME of the FINGERS.

WTF, you have FINGERS? What kind of a MONSTER are YOU?

And yes, I think OP's idea is a good one and minmay's even better. At least fix the fruits, please, and let's see the number of Fedhas players skyrocket!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 10:57

R2QFxcvsdf8.jpg
R2QFxcvsdf8.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 5347 times

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 11:41

Solution: eat them. There, no more inventory space taken.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
MIC132

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 13:27

That doesn't help Fedhas worshipers.

I would just have a large fruit slot, a medium fruit slot, etc. Then, you can still find an Orange, Banana, and a Lemon, but they just go into the same slot. Keep the flavor (and the art diversity), remove the UI annoyance.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 14:14

In a game with a hard limit on inventory slots which treat the smallest and largest of items equally, having a myriad of food items that all work the same is kind of obnoxious. Jerky, sausage, cheese, pizza, honeycomb plus 13 types of fruit is silly. If you're not worshiping Fedhas, the majority of these items are just snacks that delay needing your next chunk for a few dozen turns. There's been a ruthless desire to get rid of redundancy and pointlessness in other aspects of the game. Why is there even hesitation on this issue?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 14:49

BlackSheep wrote:In a game with a hard limit on inventory slots which treat the smallest and largest of items equally, having a myriad of food items that all work the same is kind of obnoxious. Jerky, sausage, cheese, pizza, honeycomb plus 13 types of fruit is silly. If you're not worshiping Fedhas, the majority of these items are just snacks that delay needing your next chunk for a few dozen turns. There's been a ruthless desire to get rid of redundancy and pointlessness in other aspects of the game. Why is there even hesitation on this issue?

Because then you couldn't throw "funny" one-liners like "Solution: eat them".

Also, in addition to fruit and other permafood problems, couldn't this minmay's reform also solve the constant chunk management (dropping rotting chunks to make room for not rotted chunks which take up multiple inventory slots)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 14:53

I have little sympathy for people who bemoan chunk management. The game all but automates it, and at any time you can press 'd,' and drop all your rotten chunks (assuming rotten chunks are useless to you).

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 15:15

"Pieces of fruit" could be a single item type using the speech database for messages like pizza does. Presumably the flavour message for strawberries/grapes/sultanas would be "a handful of <whatever>" to justify them having whatever nutrition value the item ends up getting, sounds good to me.

BlackSheep wrote:Why is there even hesitation on this issue?

Patches welcome!

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 15:17

BlackSheep wrote:I have little sympathy for people who bemoan chunk management. The game all but automates it, and at any time you can press 'd,' and drop all your rotten chunks (assuming rotten chunks are useless to you).

Yeah, well a couple of more keypresses and you can drop the all the fruit as well. I don't want to make those keypresses. Regardless of your lack of sympathy, I'd rather not have chunks take up inventory slots (like rest of the food if the suggestion was to be implemented) if there isn't a very good reason against it. (Simulacrum might have problems if the chunks become weightless as well but there are probably ways around it like just increasing the chunk cost or rotting rate or something).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 15:26

Code:
auto_drop_chunks = yes
auto_eat_chunks = true

There, now you don't have to press anything.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 17:26

I've had a macro for "d\{6]rotting\{13}\{13}" since like 0.7 or some such, good to know about "d," although the help text for d, from the drop menu is... a little confusing at first glance.
  Code:
Global selects:  ,   select all     *   invert all      -   deselect all
Note that for dropping, the , command uses the drop_filter option, which
narrows the range of items to be (de)selected. The default are useless items.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 17:42

Tiber wrote:That doesn't help Fedhas worshipers.

I would just have a large fruit slot, a medium fruit slot, etc. Then, you can still find an Orange, Banana, and a Lemon, but they just go into the same slot. Keep the flavor (and the art diversity), remove the UI annoyance.

I think this post might be too much information :p

But in reality, I think we'd be better off dealing with it like what you and Marvin said. I don't really care about grapes v. sultanas, just that I have 23 small pieces of fruit.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 17:50

For some reason we have a ton of different fruit items, all of which function as identical ammunition for growing plants. Would it be possible to instead make the seeds from the fruit be the ammunition involved? Planting a seed makes a lot more sense to me than magicking a snozzcumber.

1) You could have seeds be generated by eating fruit, allowing Fedhas worshipers to get more benefit from them than everyone else.
2) You could have Fedhas worshipers automatically pulp the fruit on pick-up; where most players would get 15 strawberries, they get 15 seeds.
3) You could give Fedhas worshipers an ability to convert all fruit in their inventory into seeds in one fell swoop, so they can choose between snacks and acid horror as they see fit.

I don't really care how this is implemented, but I think this would create the inventory convenience everyone is asking for and makes a lot more sense to boot (apart from the part where every fruit has exactly one viable seed). I also like how this wouldn't result in a generic FRUIT item; it's not a huge part of Crawl, but I appreciate the individuality of the food items, even if they do make headaches.
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Return to Game Design Discussion