"Good" Gods ability: Destroy Unholy Artifact

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 8th September 2013, 23:32

"Good" Gods ability: Destroy Unholy Artifact

This run-through I just converted to The Shining One and promptly found a Book of Death, and that got me thinking: How about the ability to destroy "unholy artifacts" such as this when you're converted to a Good god? Thought it would add some flavor and get rid of some junk, maybe grant a small amount of piety for doing so. Same for weapons of pain or draining and stuff like that.

And this is just me, but I would love to be able to blast altars to Yred, Kiku, and Makhleb when at high piety with The Shining One. Just for flavor and fun. Maybe that would cause the affronted god to spawn a bunch of undead/demons in response.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 8th September 2013, 23:39

Re: "Good" Gods ability: Destroy Unholy Artifact

as opposed to Elyvilon's existing ability? ('p' over an evil weapon, or at lower levels, any weapon)

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 8th September 2013, 23:50

In addition to. This isn't destroying weapons specifically, this is destroying any items that are considered particularly evil. Consider books such as Book of Death, Book of Unlife, Book of Demonology, etc. Not meant to be a huge addition or game-changer, mostly a flavor option that I thought would be neat and not difficult to implement, basing it on the existing Elyvilon weapon destruction and Trog book destruction.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 9th September 2013, 03:04

TSO used to let you do this for piety; it was removed some versions ago. I imagine it was because it let you go around and vacuum up all the evil things in the dungeon after a late-game conversion, which was a too-easy, too-annoying way to get piety.

Altar desecration is, IIRC, planned for Lugonu. But a wrath revamp would probably need to happen first. Crawl's gods don't always get along well, but only Lugonu, I think, would go so far as to defile the altars of the other gods in the pantheon.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
galehar

Return to Game Design Discussion