Ashenzari warns you...

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 7th September 2013, 00:28

Ashenzari warns you...

...of the Ogre Mage's spells!

I propose that Ashenzari should, with similar frequency to weapon warning, let you know which spellbook (perhaps by highlighting it in the monster's x->v window) a monster with multiple potential spell lists has. Sometimes that can be super important not to find out the hard way. If this is untenable to program for some reason, a warning about a random (or the 'worst') spell on the monster's list could achieve a similar end, though with a bit more player hassle.

Another thought is to tie the frequency of monster spellbook clarification to how bound you are in magic.

Wizlab Walloper

Post Saturday, 7th September 2013, 01:48

Re: Ashenzari warns you...

...I'm not really sure Ashenzari needs a power boost.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 7th September 2013, 02:58

Edit: Severely misread the original post, ignore this.
Last edited by reaver on Saturday, 7th September 2013, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 7th September 2013, 03:23

That's not what the initial post is talking about.

This seems like a pretty minor effect and having to go into the monster description to take advantage of it sounds awkward. Naming a specific "strongest" spell from the list might get around that a little bit I guess, still not sure if it'd be worth it (and I don't know if every list has a single obvious strongest spell).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
reaver

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 7th September 2013, 03:28

I'm pretty sure 'strongest' could be approximated by finding the highest level spell they can use, and randomly choosing one in the event of a tie. Or maybe constrict the list to damaging spells if that's more what is being aimed for here.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 7th September 2013, 05:48

Daggtex wrote:I'm pretty sure 'strongest' could be approximated by finding the highest level spell they can use, and randomly choosing one in the event of a tie. Or maybe constrict the list to damaging spells if that's more what is being aimed for here.

No, I'm pretty sure the point of the proposal is to let Ash ID sources of banishment, so that rather than having to treat every POTENTIAL source of banishment as a threat (or just prioritizing MR), one can just keep rollin' right along until Ash tells you to pop a scroll of fog and get out. Which would kind of defeat the point of banishment.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 7th September 2013, 16:27

I'd be fine for being warned about a random spell an enemy has. It's a logical magic version of Ash warning you about an enemy's draining weapon. (Personally, I was looking forward to getting a heads up on fiend-summoning liches than banishing Ogres.) I agree it's pretty minor. If it's not worth the effort, it's not worth the effort.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 9th September 2013, 13:32

I'm fairly certain trunk currently lets you examine an enemy to see what spells it knows.
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 9th September 2013, 13:56

MoogleDan wrote:I'm fairly certain trunk currently lets you examine an enemy to see what spells it knows.

Yes, however enemies with multiple spell sets have all possible set described. Ash could simply remove all but the correct one.

For this message the author 1010011010 has received thanks:
MIC132

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th September 2013, 14:00

I'd go for removing all but the correct one. It just means that sometimes you don't immediately put on a ring of MR after seeing an ogre mage, because looking for banishment is probably the main thing I'd do with this.

Return to Game Design Discussion