Idea for a new rod

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 00:26

Idea for a new rod

Simple idea really. Dowsing/Divining rod, or rod of dowsing/divining.

Spell 1: sense/detect water
cost 1
reveals all water on the current floor.(mostly for flavor, merfolk, octopodes, or flying characters might be able to take advantage of this. or people in ice form.)

Spell 2: sense/detect monsters
cost 3?

Spell 3: sense/detect items
cost 5?

Essentially a rod that uses the dowsing card effects, with magic mapping replaced by detect water, because the ability to magic map repetitively for free seems too overpowered. this rod is useful for pretty much any build(particularly stealthy characters) and seems quite fun to me, without being too overpowered. just an idea i got from watching some nemelex characters. any opinions?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 00:36

Re: Idea for a new rod

eclecticist wrote:Spell 2: sense/detect monsters

That's too powerful and will make Ash a not so good choice for stabbers.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 00:43

Sandman25 wrote:
eclecticist wrote:Spell 2: sense/detect monsters

That's too powerful and will make Ash a not so good choice for stabbers.

not necessarily. ash does it passively. whereas a rod is an activated effect that you need to swap over to even to use. and it's not like ash stabbers wouldn't benefit from it. and rods are rare items. so betting on finding a specific one isn't a reason for a stabber to not go ash.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 00:48

i was also thinking about replacing the detect monsters with detect portals, if that did prove to be too powerful. i just like the idea of a dowsing rod really

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 01:23

minmay wrote:This existed in old versions of Crawl, along with a divinations spell school. Both were removed for very good reason.

well alright. i'll take your word for it and drop it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 01:24

Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 01:29

Here's a really old post detailing why divinations were removed (the reasoning for them not working as spells applies equally to rods).

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 02:03

evilmike: It's quite curious for me to reread the rant you linked after more than three years (I wrote it): it mentions traps and remove curse scrolls and those are also gone...

eclecticist: I understand that a dowsing rod would be a cool item. However, as explained, free divinations are out of the questions. It would work as soon as charges are limited. One could say that this would technically make it a "dowsing wand" rather than a "dowsing rod" but the item would be unlike a wand in that it (a) doesn't need targeting and (b) could feature several spells.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 04:52

you can make randart wands & rods. you can, not me. it could be like a wand of random effects but great effects instead. or it could be like, every enemies worst night mare dmg wise, and pound out randart level dps with a wand. you can do that with like every other thing fighting, spellcasting, but not evocations unless you have 100000x decks. you can also make randart disposable evocable anime girlfriend pillows but i want more things like the lightning rod which is probably who knows not even in the freaking game anymore, it never spawns
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 07:28

dpeg:

Remove curse scrolls? Gone?

You only wish. (I wish, too.)

Actually I wondered about your mental state when you wrote that post, because you also addressed evilmike, who has not posted in this thread. I think you meant MarvinPA

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 11:54

At least detect curse scrolls are gone.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 20:40

I'm sure dpeg meant detect curse and not remove curse...If remove curse is gone all that cursed gear will become a lot more scary ;)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th September 2013, 20:48

Sorry folks, it was extremely late. But you all figured it out from the context!

Doing game design on drugs, sleep deprivation and destitution for half a decade.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 6th September 2013, 04:06

i admit my drug use in regular font size
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Return to Game Design Discussion