Big Wings mutation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 18:51

Big Wings mutation

One problem I have with the Big Wings mutation is that it seems to overlap with magical forms of flight. I'm fine with tengu getting their flight abilities, seeing as they're expert air magician bird people, and I'm also okay with black draconians eventually getting similar abilities, since they also specialize in Air Magic. However, any other type of draconian (or gargoyles in trunk -- I'm not sure what happens when they get to fly through leveling, but I had one who got big wings from a potion of mutation) who gets the wings mutation suddenly gets an ability that's basically identical to using a ring of flight, which doesn't really make sense. They're physically lifting themselves into the air by flapping their wings, not through any sort of magic.

What would make sense to me is to give the Big Wings mutation its own ability: no MP cost but maybe a higher food cost, and the flight has a limited duration (your wings will get tired, after all). Alternatively, the flight could last as long as you want, but at the cost of increased metabolism. It would also make sense to make characters flying using the mutation vulnerable to petrification/paralysis like the various flying monsters out there -- if you stop moving while flying via completely nonmagical means, you then drop like a rock (possibly into water or lava).

Granted, this issue is rare enough for it to be mostly insignificant; I've only gotten draconian/gargoyle wings through random mutations like twice. Plus, it's not something where adding it will significantly change the game: Jorgrun will suck a bit more for the rare winged character that runs across him in the Shoals, but there aren't many other situations where having physical flight instead of magical flight would matter. I just figured that this was something that was inconsistent and seemed like the sort of thing that would be relatively easy to implement (though I admit to having no experience with coding whatsoever).
Last edited by spudwalt on Saturday, 31st August 2013, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 00:31

Re: Big Wings mutation

But tengu get to fly faster and get very relevant EV bonuses.
Gargoyle flight is just permaflight with no bonuses, black Dr is the same.
Only non-black Dr/not yet XL 15 Gr can develop the strong wings mut btw.

EDIT: Oh yeah and mutated flight (unless you're a less than XL 15 Gr) is temporary too.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 00:54

Is gargoyle flight permanent? It seems odd that a living statue would be able to fly better than a slightly mutated dragon person...

Mostly I just posted this because the ability granted by the mutation doesn't seem to fit the flavor, though I suppose it's possible they changed it in 0.13.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st August 2013, 02:27

It's actually level 14 Gr, but yes, it's permaflight (Functionally identical to boots of flying afaict)
  Code:
 19773 | Lair:3   | Gained mutation: Your wings are large and strong. [gargoyle growth]
 19773 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 73/84 MP: 23/23
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion