Wizlabs

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 04:37

Wizlabs

Two thoughts on Wizard Laboratories:

1.) About half of them are named for spells that no longer exists (Eringya's Formal Garden for Eringya's Surprising Bouquet; Cigotuvi's Fleshworks for Cigotuvi's Degeneration, etc.) or are monster's only now (Doroklohe's Tomb for Tome of Doroklohe) while the several are named for mediocre to plain bad fixed artifacts. I'd like to suggest that each of the Wizlabs (at least) be given a fixedArt (even if it was spellbook) with the same Wizard's name that would be good in mid-late 3-Rune Run or in one of the Extended Run branches to make it a more obvious reference to new players and not just a fossil of Crawl past.

2.) There's a particular wizard that it seems like a pretty major exclusion since (s)he has two current spells with his/her name in them; Ozocubu. Be cool to see him/her show up as a Simulcrum Unique in their own lab.

[No specifics at this time; just trying to start a discussion here.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 04:49

Re: Wizlabs

Eringya's Surprising Bludgeon
+3/+3 quarterstaff. Has a 25% chance to generate a pile of fruit (either some small fruit or one regular fruit) instead of a corpse when you kill a monster.

Cigotuvi's Gloves
+2 gloves. Get one extra chunk when butchering.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 06:04

bcadren wrote:Two thoughts on Wizard Laboratories:

1.) About half of them are named for spells that no longer exists (Eringya's Formal Garden for Eringya's Surprising Bouquet; Cigotuvi's Fleshworks for Cigotuvi's Degeneration, etc.) or are monster's only now (Doroklohe's Tomb for Tome of Doroklohe) while the several are named for mediocre to plain bad fixed artifacts. I'd like to suggest that each of the Wizlabs (at least) be given a fixedArt (even if it was spellbook) with the same Wizard's name that would be good in mid-late 3-Rune Run or in one of the Extended Run branches to make it a more obvious reference to new players and not just a fossil of Crawl past.

IIRC there's already one or two Wizlabs (Cloud Mage, Hellbinder) that don't specifically reference any particular artifacts or spells at all, historical or otherwise. Wizards with removed spells or artifacts named for them don't seem like a big problem.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 08:05

nicolae wrote:IIRC there's already one or two Wizlabs (Cloud Mage, Hellbinder) that don't specifically reference any particular artifacts or spells at all, historical or otherwise. Wizards with removed spells or artifacts named for them don't seem like a big problem.

I always thought Cloud Mage was a reference to the long list of "Cloud" spells; Mephritic being the most popular...and Hellbinder is a lovely pun. The Hellbender is a kind of salamander and 'binding hell' is another way of saying making pacts or summoning demons. Each is implied to be the creator of certain spells or the original owner of an artifact at least that's how I understand it.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 08:59

There is nothing wrong with wizlabs named after spells that no longer exist. Some of them were actually made after the removal of those spells.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 12:36

Is there any chance the devs could make them anywhere near identical in usefulness and risk level? The Formal Garden is very disappointing in terms of both risk and reward, and Tomb of Doroklohe can surprise assassinate a player entering it for the first time sensationally fast...
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 14:24

There's also precedent for portals with random maps to have varying levels of difficulty and reward. If you want to tilt the chance toward a specific level of risk and reward, why not create some new maps?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 15:54

Reason for Wizard fixedarts: flavor, fun.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th August 2013, 21:51

+4 Leda's Rubber Boots {rElec, MR, Ponderous, Contam}
No penalties from shallow water.

Edit: Oops -- Leda doesn't even have a Wizlab! Never mind... :-P
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Return to Game Design Discussion