How about a Jiyva background?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 12th August 2013, 20:25

How about a Jiyva background?

There needs to be a background that starts worshipping Jiyva, for fun and challenge.
Maybe an oozemancer or something?
Jelly themed spells to go with it (summon ooze, some kind of pseudopod transmutation) would be cool too.

This game needs more ooze, don't you think?

For this message the author Matanui3 has received thanks: 2
Klown, Styro

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 12th August 2013, 21:21

Re: How about a Jiyva background?

I've had the same thought about my favorite god, Fedhas, but unless it grants a unique challenging early game to have the background, few will go for it.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 12th August 2013, 21:26

Each religious background detracts from the Ecumenical Temple and the god choice therein, and also from the random altars you find. This is why over the course of the Soup, religious background have become less, not more. (For reference: you used to be able to start with Beogh, Makhleb, The Shining One and Zin.)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 03:20

Trog(Berserker) is good for beginners and a starting point for many new players.
Lugonu(Abyssal Knight) and Jivya(Slime Knight) make sense because by the time you see their altars, you already have full piety with a God that is fitting for your character and probably better.
The other zealots don't have to be there. You can grab them all 10 minutes into the game and have them exalted by your worship by Lair.

For this message the author Klown has received thanks: 2
KennySheep, khalil

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 03:30

Slime Knight? Poor.

Religious Crusader for Slime? Oozader.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 11:46

This should exist online from March 31st to April 8th.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 20:38

dpeg wrote:Each religious background detracts from the Ecumenical Temple and the god choice therein, and also from the random altars you find. This is why over the course of the Soup, religious background have become less, not more. (For reference: you used to be able to start with Beogh, Makhleb, The Shining One and Zin.)

Yes, but you can't get Jyvia in the temple.
She's basicly sheer luck. If you don't find a extremely rare early game vault (I've only seen one), and her altar doesn't appear outside the entrance to slime, then you can't get her untill your caricter can handle extended.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 21:03

Not necessarily true. One time I ninjaed the Jiyva altar next to TRJ just because I could before I had obtained any runes. It was tricky, especially since I was playing a Felid and therefore was as frail as a wet paper bag, but it's certainly doable.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 21:14

Slime Knight for 0.13!

For this message the author Klown has received thanks:
Abominae

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 21:21

Oozader was better name :D

I'm all for this just because of the name if that is the name. Otherwise I couldn't care less. (probably bad background to start with anyway.)

For this message the author siprus has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 21:25

I wouldn't want jellies to eat all my items from the start

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 22:44

Amnesiac wrote:I wouldn't want jellies to eat all my items from the start

That's why I said it would be good as a CHALLENGE.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 00:40

Snotling

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 02:00

I think the neutral jellies would be a balance issue in the early game, since they would likely annihilate most early D creatures.

On the other hand, a starting background would allow players who want to follow Jiyva to do so without encouraging them to grind through 30 or so cleared levels sacrificing junk after conversion. This would be a very good thing.

For this message the author Skrybe has received thanks:
Klown

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 02:04

Grimm wrote:Snotling

That's a species.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 02:13

Honestly; Abyssal Knight and one for Jiyva background seem fair, since you can't see them early game normally...for religious backgrounds to be GOOD, it'd be nice to also start with themed/unique equipment...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 16:37

I'd be happy with an ooze knight starting background, but I'd be equally happy if there was just a guaranteed Jiyva altar outside of the slime pits.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 17:55

I implemented this on my local copy. I copy/pasted some monk code and it as of so far works, except they don't show up on the menu. You can specify it via the command line, though. I'll post a patch if anyone's interested.
EDIT: On further inspection, it doesn't actually work yet. they lose their religion on turn 20 for some reason...
EDIT2: Oops, forgot to set piety. Fixed it. :oops:
EDIT3: It works perfectly now. :D Here's the patch: http://pastebin.com/hAmny4gN

For this message the author godzilla has received thanks:
Skrybe

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 20:16

How do you implement your patch?

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 22:23

bcadren wrote:How do you implement your patch?

Well, on Linux (maybe OS X too), put it in the source directory, then run "patch -p0 < ooze.patch" (without the quotes) and compile it as normal. Don't know how to do it on other platforms, though.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 23:26

^ On Windows with MINGW, you can do the same once 'patch' is installed. see here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 01:05

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 01:29

^ Yes, that is the best + cross-platform solution if you have a working git install. If you just have a snapshot, though (eg. via the 'download master as tarball' button on gitorious), then there is no guarantee that you'll have a working git install.

It is a good point though because a working git patchset would improve the chances of godzilla's changes getting in, just because it would be easier for devs to test.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 02:39

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm pretty sure the lack of a Jiyva background is intentional. Jiyva's a great god, don't get me wrong -- but religious backgrounds are rare for very good reason.

AK is the closest conceptually -- and it works because:

1: Lugonu altars are almost never found outside the Abyss -- even more rarely than Jiyva altars outside Slime
2: Lugonu's first ability directly enables an Abyss start, which is neat

I really don't think a Jiyva background should make it in. As it is, finding an altar is a rare treat that presents an interesting choice; a starting background makes that treat all the less special.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
dpeg

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 10:12

njvack pretty much hit the nail on the slimy head.

There were long discussions in the devteam about the pros and cons of having a Lugonu start. One pro argument which Jiyva is lacking is this: you can use Abyssal Knights to learn about the Abyss. If you've been banished a couple of times and died miserably in the Abyss and hate the game because banishment always happens after you've invested hours into another guy, then CK allows you to experience the Abyss right away. In other words, CK has an anti-spoiler aspect to it. A zealot of Jiyva wouldn't.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 11:29

A lot of games don't reach Lair-Slime Pits
Most don't switch to Jivya even then.

Why is a God in the game if less than 1% of games see it put to use?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 11:36

Klown wrote:A lot of games don't reach Lair-Slime Pits

Why not? What's the problem? Does it break the gameplay balance somehow?

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 14:16

dpeg wrote:njvack pretty much hit the nail on the slimy head.

There were long discussions in the devteam about the pros and cons of having a Lugonu start. One pro argument which Jiyva is lacking is this: you can use Abyssal Knights to learn about the Abyss. If you've been banished a couple of times and died miserably in the Abyss and hate the game because banishment always happens after you've invested hours into another guy, then CK allows you to experience the Abyss right away. In other words, CK has an anti-spoiler aspect to it. A zealot of Jiyva wouldn't.

Thank you, by the way, for updating the Jiyva altar code without pushing the depth way down.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 14:53

Yup. You never need to go to Slime (again, unlike Abyss). Honestly, though, I think Slime instead of Vaults is a pretty defensible choice for some characters.

Because Jiyva is awesome.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 14:54

Blacksheep: You're welcome! I was flabberghasted to see that such a beautiful and early opportunity -- to die, or to take on Jiyva -- should be removed. Just had to step in to stop the horror :)

In other news, jellies are now speed 10, which is a marvellous change. No more jelly kiting -- rejoice!

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
ebarrett

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 14:57

dpeg wrote:In other news, jellies are now speed 10, which is a marvellous change. No more jelly kiting -- rejoice!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 15:08

They also nerfed some of their stats, so they'll play a little differently. I'm anxious to see how it works now.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 16:27

So basically now you should have already identified your blasting wand before you run into jellies, to not get your equipment corroded, and if you see jelly and aren't close to stairs you should start blasting right away.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 16:57

Closeness to the stairs doesn't matter as long as there's space between you and the jelly. They're now the same speed as you, not faster.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 17:13

oh no, a speed 10 creature with no ranged attacks
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 18:13

Jelly kiting sucked so hard that I usually broke down and just risked the equipment damage anyway. I always contended that speed 9 was basically the most annoying possible speed for jellies: slow enough to kite, but fast enough to take the whole damn day doing it. At least now there's not much incentive to run in circles for 20 minutes if you can't take a jelly out at range.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 18:43

njvack wrote:Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm pretty sure the lack of a Jiyva background is intentional. Jiyva's a great god, don't get me wrong -- but religious backgrounds are rare for very good reason.

AK is the closest conceptually -- and it works because:

1: Lugonu altars are almost never found outside the Abyss -- even more rarely than Jiyva altars outside Slime
2: Lugonu's first ability directly enables an Abyss start, which is neat

I really don't think a Jiyva background should make it in. As it is, finding an altar is a rare treat that presents an interesting choice; a starting background makes that treat all the less special.

Yeah, you called it. I don't think it should make it in, either, to be honest. I just wrote it because I could. :lol:

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 17:50

pratamawirya wrote:

Why not? What's the problem? Does it break the gameplay balance somehow?

No, but neither did MD, and those were used in a lot more than 1% of games before they got removed.

For this message the author khalil has received thanks:
Klown

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 00:45

I love mutations. Cool mechanic. Feels good.
When there was a survey i filled it with "more mutatin' stuff pls".
I play like 95% of my games as Ds because they mutate. Like always. Hellfire! rC+! Whooay! Claws! Bigger claws! Yea!
Single species favor mutations (not "instrinct properties", but changes). Like 4 don't let you mutate (a lot, in case of Halflings).
Rest are just mutation-neutral.
There is 3 mutation-related gods. Zin hates. Xom isn't really nice guy.
Only Jiyva is cool mutatin' god. Oh. And rare/late/very late. Sucks.
Last time i went Ash because Ash got forgiving level-based wrath and rushed for Jiyva, guess what I got.
Guess.
Nothing. No altar. I just wanted Jiyva, because it's single reliable way to get a lot of good mutations (without high decrease of game length expectation).
I love mutations, got it? And i get no fucking altar. Dived slimes and died in unfair fight because i can't stand such a cruelty.
Except Ds and Jiyva there are those b.mut potions. Rest of Crawl aren't really eager to give you mutations which are good. And they're "good" actually.
So there is no much variant for mutation lover, except playin' Ds.

On other side, i like never really learned something about Abyss because i play AK.
Start here is just like "invoke"/"find exit nearby and leave"/"run around for a while, pick up bread ration, see hellion, invoke"/"abuse merfolk, get XL 9, see hellion, invoke".
So it's not really helps to explore Abyss. Always thought it's like pure flavour (at least after moment you made starter version of Abyss with silly loot).

tl;dr:
Abyss start not really helps to figure out Abyss. Jiyva start can help to figure out mutations.
I play a lot as Ds and drink mut pots in many cases (and those shiny fontains), but there are muts i never saw (or just like couple of times).
If "figure out Abyss" is okay to let AK start here, why we can't have Jiyva start.
It will be still challenge god. Pls make Oozader.
Last edited by WildSam on Saturday, 17th August 2013, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
What would be fun is a God who uses piety like a fighting game style super meter. Piety decays rapidly outside of combat, builds up during fights, spend it for secret techniques and super moves.

For this message the author WildSam has received thanks:
Klown

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 00:47

dpeg wrote:Each religious background detracts from the Ecumenical Temple and the god choice therein, and also from the random altars you find. This is why over the course of the Soup, religious background have become less, not more. (For reference: you used to be able to start with Beogh, Makhleb, The Shining One and Zin.)

A Jiyva background, like a Lugonu one, does not detract from the Ecumenical Temple because neither of these gods are available there.

The other argument I always hear for why there isn't a Jiyva background is that this god would make the early game much more difficult. I think there are a lot of races that would benefit from a Jiyva start, primarily Felids and Trolls. Neither is as loot dependant as most races (so jellies eating up all the loot isn't as much of a problem), and both races have a playstyle that synchronizes well with Jiyva in my opinion.

Also, if Yred and Trog of all gods can get their own starting background, Jiyva definitely should.
Last edited by goo on Saturday, 17th August 2013, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author goo has received thanks:
Klown

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 00:56

Just found an altar of Jiyva on like d:4 playing trunk, so im guessing youll have a better chance to find it early now.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 01:48

goo wrote:A Jiyva background, like a Lugonu one, does not detract from the Ecumenical Temple because neither of these gods are available there.

Devil's advocate here, but starting with Jiyva (or any god) essentially removes the decision making process upon finding the Temple. So in that respect, it does detract from it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 02:00

ajon wrote:Just found an altar of Jiyva on like d:4 playing trunk, so im guessing youll have a better chance to find it early now.

Sometimes that happens, even in .12

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 02:41

XuaXua wrote:
ajon wrote:Just found an altar of Jiyva on like d:4 playing trunk, so im guessing youll have a better chance to find it early now.

Sometimes that happens, even in .12

I've seen the same Jiyva altar twice in about 300 games, so I wouldn't say it's common. (Both times were D:2, by the way).

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 03:02

Skrybe wrote:
goo wrote:A Jiyva background, like a Lugonu one, does not detract from the Ecumenical Temple because neither of these gods are available there.

Devil's advocate here, but starting with Jiyva (or any god) essentially removes the decision making process upon finding the Temple. So in that respect, it does detract from it.

Devil's advocate advocate here, if Jiyva is not available in the temple or as a starting background, the choice to play a Jiyva worshipper is practically removed from the decision making process. To worship Jiyva, unless you find a lucky early altar, you either have to...

1.) Go godless until you can safely traverse the Slime Pits.

or

2.) Pick a god and then abandon them for Jiyva.

The cons for either of these decisions far outweigh the pros. Jiyva, while fun to play, is merely "average" in the power department. By the time you actually can locate a Jiyva altar there is little reason to actually convert. There are only two real reasons to switch, to trivialize Slime Pits and to remove bad mutations. By the time a character can reach the bottom of Slime and convert they already can probably deal with the Royal Jelly in combat, and the choice to not have to fight him and get a free rune is usually not worth incurring god wrath and having to start building piety for a new god from scratch. (This choice is similar to switching to Lugonu in the Abyss in order to escape it if you can't find an exit, except that decision actually has serious pros and cons and is the complete opposite of a no brainer.)

As for removing bad mutations, Zin can do the same and is much more easily accessible (as well as the fact that some of his piety can transfer over to TSO or Ely if you choose to switch to them). The amount of effort required to get a Jiyva worshipper off the ground is strictly not worth the reward of being one. If a god is so difficult to worship, that god needs to be more powerful than the regular pantheon in my opinion to make up the difference. There would actually be a real decision to make there. "Should I try to go through the game godless/deal with wrath from my current god and dive down into Slime 5? The chances of me dying are much higher than normal, but if I actually make it then my character is much more powerful than he would be otherwise." High risk, high reward. Currently the decision to become a Jiyva worshipper is high risk, average (at best) reward.

However, if there were an "Oozader" class, just the very choice to play that class has both pros and cons and would require a lot of mulling over, making the choice to play one not a no brainer. Starting with Jiyva would be a great boon to the unarmed combat playstyle, as well as help deal with the hunger clock. (Would be a GREAT and fun start for Trolls) Also, the mutation roulette is fun and would insure each game would be different, insuring variety. (Demonspawn anyone?) These are all the pros, but the player would also have to deal with the huge penalty of a limited access to loot, and it would also create a minigame of trying to find good equipment before a slime eats it. The player would have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons. The decision to play this class requires a lot more thought than most classes (barring the Chaos Knight which is the ultimate high risk high reward class.)

Also, an Oozader/Slime Knight class is extremely flavorful and unique. What other games have that?! It would offer a completely unique playstyle and starting kit. It may be a challenging start compared to some, but what's wrong with that? The devs have made it clear they are ok with challenge races, so why not challenge classes? Compare that with Death Knights, a class that according to everything I've read about the dev's design philosophy should have been axed long ago. It's a generic "evil paladin" trope for one thing (which makes it even more confusing why it's still in since Paladins were removed a while back). The exact same playstyle can be replicated by starting as a fighter and finding a Yred altar (which are not hard to locate), or starting as a necro and hybridizing. There is no reason for this class to exist. The other zealot classes make sense and offer something unique (Berserkers are the ultimate beginner friendly class and help people learn how to play, starting as a Healer offers a unique playstyle of trying to pacify your foes instead of murder them, the AK start has already been covered, and the CK lets players leave their fate almost entirely in the hands of the RNG God) Death Knights have very little to offer. They could be swapped with Oozaders/Slime Knights and the game would be much better for it in my opinion.

Finally, a Demonspawn Oozader might possibly be the most fun character to play...ever.

For this message the author goo has received thanks: 2
Klown, xnavy

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 03:17

There are only two real reasons to switch, to trivialize Slime Pits and to remove bad mutations.

what about the instakill ability that has no resistance checks

or the free hp/mp/food on a regular basis

or the wide array of helpful mutations

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 03:18

As was already explained, this won't happen. Feel free to try out the patch from earlier in the thread if you want to implement it locally though!

Return to Game Design Discussion