Jiangshi, sixfirhies and boulder beetles.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 18:50

Jiangshi, sixfirhies and boulder beetles.

Just thought I'd mention I don't think these monsters are very fun to fight, burst movement has bothered me for a while but it wasn't important when it was sixfirhy only because sixfirhies are so incredibly rare until they can be just ignored. I don't like it used on monsters players are likely to meet earlier because to the unspoiled player it's not apparent at first what they do. They get the "okay this guy stands still for a while then closes in really fast" idea sure, but then can't actually do anything with that information (or anything relevant at least) because as opposed to basically every other monster they have encountered until then jiangshi have weird movement rules and the tiles they can cover in one go are uncertain, which can lead to problems pretty fast.
With boulder beetles it's simple, their rolling doesn't go well with their slowness because if one of them is relatively close to you and you're for whatever reason maneuvering around it (particularly so when moving diagonally one tile away), it can just start rolling and suddenly be two tiles away from where it was a moment ago and you have to have dealt with them plenty of times before to know how to avoid getting hit properly. The sparse dust clouds they generate should help guess the direction they're going, but at short distances which is the only time you'd need help to guess it it doesn't do anything, and you shouldn't have to play guessing games to avoid 3d20 EV ignoring damage at the depth they spawn.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
crate

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 19:15

Re: Jiangshi, sixfirhies and boulder beetles.

I have other problems with boulder beetles. The fact that they can still hit you for 3d20 EV-ignoring damage "rolling" 0 squares is grade-A nonsense. I would rather see them act more like OOD does and/or allow EV to work. I had only sort of noticed this behavior before but playing a felid brought it to the forefront.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 20:05

Seconded that boulder beetles need to scale with distance. Maybe 1d20 per tile rolled, capping at 3 or 4?

As for sixfirhies and jiangshi, would it be better to give them slow movement and let them cast semicontrolled Blink? It would end up working pretty similarly but it would be more transparent.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

For this message the author Igxfl has received thanks:
khalil

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 13th August 2013, 20:20

I don't have problems with those monsters, though... I would rather make some monsters less annoying, like death drake rotting your HP

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 05:00

I've never seen a death drake outside of the ones summoned in zot. Do they even spawn anywhere else?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 05:01

KennySheep wrote:I've never seen a death drake outside of the ones summoned in zot. Do they even spawn anywhere else?

There's at least one Swamp end that they're placed in.
take it easy

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 12:47

KennySheep wrote:I've never seen a death drake outside of the ones summoned in zot. Do they even spawn anywhere else?

They're HD 9, so polymorph has a decent chance of producing them.

Return to Game Design Discussion