Str and Dex in 0.13

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 17:16

Str and Dex in 0.13

As I read Str and Dex will be more important for fighting (double value?) in 0.13 than they actually are.

• This includes a slight buff for Chei worshippers and demigods, doesn't it?
  • Does it imply other important changes?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 17:21

Re: Str and Dex in 0.13

Turukano wrote:As I read Str and Dex will be more important for fighting (double value?) in 0.13 than they actually are.

This includes a slight buff for Chei worshippers and demigods, doesn't it?
Does it imply other important changes?

The 'double value' specifically refers to the amount of bonus damage conferred to melee attacks from having high Str/Dex, that was very small before, now it is less small. It still comprises a pretty small portion of the damage done in melee.

Yes it means a slight buff for Chei/Demigods

I'm not sure what you mean by "other important changes" There are other changes in .13, some of them do involve the treatment of stats, that one change doesn't really impact anything outside itself though.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 17:27

2 times x isn't a big deal when x is extremely small to begin with

It's still a tragedy every time a draconian gains str as one of his random stat gains

For this message the author Volteccer_Jack has received thanks:
prozacelf

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 7th August 2013, 17:31

Alright, it's a *slight* buff for Chei worshippers and demigods. Thanks for your answers!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 18:45

I will say the increase in damage from having very high strength is noticable, with the new !!!!'s and !!!!!'s in combat. Worshiping chei and having good unarmed I'll see !!!! attacks when I get a near-max roll, and can even hit !!!!! with things like blade hands.

That said, you're worshipping chei for this, and it's probably not a balance issue, but as a dirty chei lover, I like the change a lot.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 14th August 2013, 00:45

Blade hands get more damage increase from strength than most weapon attacks.

Return to Game Design Discussion