Is it possible to..

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 10:49

Is it possible to..

Remove the max level limit and make the dungeon infinite? Maybe through a sprint or modifying a config or something like that?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 10:52

Re: Is it possible to..

impsy wrote:Remove the max level limit and make the dungeon infinite? Maybe through a sprint or modifying a config or something like that?

I think you would need some special monsters also.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 11:21

No, but in practice you should be able to set the level limit high enough that you don't care about the difference between say 512 and infinity (you'll be dead long before then anyway!). See source/branch-data.h.

As Sandman25 suggests though, the generation information for existing monsters is balanced for the existing depth values, and at the very least you would need to tweak the information indicating what depths monsters typically appear at, otherwise the latter levels would be pretty same-ish (monster generation may even fail for lack of available monsters).

As it is, there are already complains that D20-D27 is pretty samey.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 14:45

We could develop extended extended end game which would gradually get harded and harder so hard that it would be basically impossible to beat it. And if somebody beat it they could add some even harder stuff.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 14:52

siprus wrote:We could develop extended extended end game which would gradually get harded and harder so hard that it would be basically impossible to beat it. And if somebody beat it they could add some even harder stuff.

Some games have unlimited dungeon levels so it is impossible to win the game and players can only compare how many levels they survived before dying.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 15:03

Isn't pan long enough?

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Klown

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th August 2013, 15:49

Sandman25 wrote:
siprus wrote:We could develop extended extended end game which would gradually get harded and harder so hard that it would be basically impossible to beat it. And if somebody beat it they could add some even harder stuff.

Some games have unlimited dungeon levels so it is impossible to win the game and players can only compare how many levels they survived before dying.

There is no need for infinite dungeon as where everything get harder and harder till infinite. You just need dungeon that get gradually harder untill it becomes impossible. Infinite dungeons can only be generated by coding and each dungeon level will be more or less the same. If you plan finite but impossible dungeon you can have more versatility in stuff ya gotta clear.

Anyway my main point is i'd rather see more verstile end game, compared to dungeon where monster gradually get tankier and do more damage. (actually I'd be happy seeing end game at all since 95% times i die pre lair and 5% other times i die in lair or soon after it :( )

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 10th August 2013, 02:47

Before considering such a thing as siprus' idea, we should first fix extended. Extended can be pretty dangerous in places (eg. Tomb) but overall it's more grindy and less interesting/challenging than early and midgame. See for example crate's posts about crate_crawl and the reason he invented that custom win condition: basically , 'getting a character through extended just isn't as interesting as getting them up to D20'. My vague impression is that this is caused both by poor monster balancing and by having an overall excess of resources/options at that point.

Return to Game Design Discussion