Thoughts on ||||||||||||

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 6th August 2013, 07:36

Thoughts on ||||||||||||

I have some thoughts on the new line sprint and I didn't see a thread for them.

The sprint was fun but had some annoying flaws:

- The second room was often too hard. If it spawned a phantom, orc wizard, ogre, or centaur you're dead.

- The uniques in the middle are extremely overpowered. Mara should not exist in this sprint at all, but especially not next to nikola and mennas at such an early part of the sprint.

- Loot should come before shops and altars. It's very frustrating to buy something and then find out it spawned behind the very next door. Loot segments should be a single room, and that room shouldn't have a door entrance.

- Backtracking is a huge pain, especially since stashing is often desired. The map would benefit if walls would open up as you complete rooms, allowing a much shorter path to backtrack.

- The orb run is extremely tedious and boring. Worst part of the entire sprint. This ties in with the backtracking problem.

- Food should be distributed more gradually. It causes overloaded on certain characters and there's not much you can do about it because stashing is such a pain.

- The abyssal rune was laughably easy. It should come much earlier than it does.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 10th August 2013, 06:34

Re: Thoughts on ||||||||||||

Things I learned from |||||||s:

Berserking Iron Trolls can kill anything.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 10th August 2013, 11:45

Four catoblepas can take down two executioners and a player in a corridor.

I've made it to vaults a few times, and the only books I've seen were in orc shops. Maybe there should be some books with the other loot?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 10th August 2013, 14:56

jejorda2 wrote:Four catoblepas can take down two executioners and a player in a corridor.

This is another huge problem: there's no way to dodge catoblepa dust. You can't even blink away because the dust blocks LOS. They're not fun at all.

I've made it to vaults a few times, and the only books I've seen were in orc shops. Maybe there should be some books with the other loot?

I've seen books spawn, but it would be impossible to rely on them. Sif is pretty much the only god you should use if playing a caster.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 10th August 2013, 15:26

GrBe seemed pretty powerful. I can now boast to have a 100 % win rate in at least some portion of crawl: first try of the sprint and first win. Gr can't get any more petrified and berserking stone giants fighting things one on one on corridors usually win (regardless of opposition).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 11th August 2013, 06:19

Convokers are the fucking worst in this sprint.

I really like how Wardens play though.
take it easy

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 11th August 2013, 06:54

Arrhythmia wrote:Convokers are the fucking worst in this sprint.

If you want a good laugh, try playing a Healer.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 11th August 2013, 08:06

Healers are terrible in pretty much any sprint. Need to get piety by pacifying stuff so you can heal, but have to kill everything so you're not under-leveled. Weapon sacrifice is basically the only way to get piety at all, and they're not lying around by the boxful either.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 11th August 2013, 09:51

savageorange wrote:Healers are terrible in pretty much any sprint. Need to get piety by pacifying stuff so you can heal, but have to kill everything so you're not under-leveled. Weapon sacrifice is basically the only way to get piety at all, and they're not lying around by the boxful either.

This isn't really true though since the accelerated gains means that about a dozen, dozen-and-a-half, enemies will put you at max piety.

Really, the biggest problem with Elvy in linesprint is running backwards to let your pacified buddies out, but that's linesprint's problem, not Elvy's.

e: For example, I just pacified a manticore and went from 2 stars to 5 stars.
take it easy

Return to Game Design Discussion