Changes to pick up

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 23rd December 2010, 17:52

Changes to pick up

I use the numpad for movement and have [TAB] set for auto explore. What this means is that neither of my hands are anywhere near the ',' key, so I've always used 'g'.

Someone recently introduced a change on crawl.develz.org that makes 'g' prompt you for a number of items if there are multiples. This is somewhat annoying for me. I suppose I could fix this by just remapping the keys, but it seems kinda ridiculous for a game to ask you how many of the 43 gold pieces you want to pick up.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 02:14

Re: Changes to pick up

I endorse this change. I hate having to pick up all 20 scrolls of teleportation from my stash only to drop 18 because initially I wanted to pick up only two.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 08:07

tcjsavannah wrote:I endorse this change. I hate having to pick up all 20 scrolls of teleportation from my stash only to drop 18 because initially I wanted to pick up only two.

Actually this doesn't change anything for stash, because you get the prompt when standing on a single pile of items. When there is several items, you already can choose quantity in the pickup menu.

That being said, I use g for pickup too and I wish there was an easy way to select all (g or enter). I already fixed the gold issue (no prompt).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 10:46

galehar wrote:That being said, I use g for pickup too and I wish there was an easy way to select all (g or enter). I already fixed the gold issue (no prompt).

Thank you, galehar! Gold being quantifiable was an oversight on my side.

I don't think the prompt_for_int routine (or however it's called, too lazy to check now) can currently handle anything that's not a number, but leaving the prompt empty (just pressing Enter) is interpreted as 0, which would be easy enough to change to "full amount". Also makes more sense, after all, opting out of pickup is not at all necessary.

As for , vs. g, I have no idea which would require more players to remap their keys and after a miniscule poll on IRC went for g. It would be easy to switch g and , around, if necessary.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Return to Game Design Discussion