Proposal: Crushing like a grape?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 19:12

Proposal: Crushing like a grape?

Minor text complaint:

"Crush" is to pulverize into powder, grind or pulverize between two objects as to cause breakage of brittle parts. Grapes aren't "breakable" or "pulverizable" being a squishy thing.

The thing you do to a grape is called squishing, when you use a simile, for instance "You crush the <death yak> like a grape!" it has to use a verb which is applicable to the object.

I suggest that that message should be "You squish the <death yak> like a grape!" or "You smash the <death yak> like a grape!" or "You crush the <death yak> like <some thing that's particularly crushable>!"

"Smash" being the verb which can only refer to the action (hitting something with force) is at least non-specific and generic enough to apply to things which are either crushable or squashable (Smash being my second choice after squish, mainly because grapes aren't really any more smashable than anything else).
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 19:13

Re: Proposal: Crushing like a grape?

"You crush the crocodile like a crouton!"
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 19:15

Igxfl wrote:"You crush the crocodile like a crouton!"

*rofl* this would make sense *and* makes me giggle.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 19:31

Merriam-Webster defines crush as "to squeeze or force by pressure so as to alter or destroy structure", and Oxford describes it as "deform, pulverize, or force inwards by compressing forcefully". Crawl's use of crush is totally consistent with these definitions.

is this really an issue
take it easy

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 19:44

"You criticize the crawler like a curmudgeon!"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 20:04

Arrhythmia wrote:Merriam-Webster defines crush as "to squeeze or force by pressure so as to alter or destroy structure", and Oxford describes it as "deform, pulverize, or force inwards by compressing forcefully". Crawl's use of crush is totally consistent with these definitions.

is this really an issue

Issue? No "Minor thing that vaguely annoys me and is easy to change should some dev feel the urge and agree with me" yes.

While you can "Crush a grape" a grape isn't particularly any more "Crushable" than anything else, so when you say "I'll crush you like a grape" why is the grape important in that sentence? Why is it any more significant to "Crush something like a grape" then it would be to "Crush something like a sandwich" or "Crush something like a pirate hat"?

Whereas using the verb "squish" we *know* that grapes are particularly squishable, to the point where it's become an idiom to "squish something like a grape" In the same way you could "Peel something like a banana" because Bananas are particularly "peelable"

Not that it's a big deal, everyone knows what "Crush" means and it's not like it's not communicated that it means "You hit them hard with a crushing weapon" it just feels awkward and a little mixed-metaphor-ish.

If you want something particularly "crushworthy" you'd use "a tin can" or some such.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 20:20

mixed-metaphor

So glad you said that because now all I have to do to make my point is quote Shakespeare:

"to take up arms against a sea of troubles"

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 20:24

I CRUSH YOU LIKE A FORMICID.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 20:25

Volteccer_Jack wrote:
mixed-metaphor

So glad you said that because now all I have to do to make my point is quote Shakespeare:

Shakespeare was a hack :p

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 20:30

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th July 2013, 21:16

Volteccer_Jack wrote:
mixed-metaphor

Repel/Deflect Missiles is a better solution on most characters.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 01:04

Siegurt wrote:While you can "Crush a grape" a grape isn't particularly any more "Crushable" than anything else, so when you say "I'll crush you like a grape" why is the grape important in that sentence?

because when you crush a grape it goes splat and you get mushy remains everywhere, presumably resembling the effect of applying your mace vigorously to a centaur's dome

is this your first time working with Metaphor and Imagery

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 04:03

One-Eyed Jack already gave the link but needless to say: this is a reference that a lot of people will understand and it's good crawl humour. Let's leave it at that eh ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th July 2013, 19:28

Ooooh I could lock a thread.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
mumra

Return to Game Design Discussion