Make hostile summons capable of using stairs

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 15:58

Make hostile summons capable of using stairs

With automatic summons expiring when changing levels it is too easy to escape from summons. For example escaping from Sixfirhy would be impossible without stairs.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 16:18

Re: Make hostile summons capable of using stairs

I disagree. While summoning makes the summoner more dangerous, summons themselves are annoying because there's absolutely nothing to be gained by fighting them, but plenty to lose. I do understand though that it makes stairs even more powerful, and they're already useful enough. Perhaps a compromise would be to say that enemy summons can follow you only if the summoner follows you.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 18:01

Maybe give some summoners spell which summons all of their summons from previous level to new one.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 18:47

Not sure about this. While I'm not usually too worried about player/monster parity, in this case it would be a bit confusing (and enemy summons already don't get capped (yet)). However if enemy summons are disappearing immediately when you leave their level then that is a bug which we need to fix; don't want a cheap and spoilery way to abdure hordes of enemy summons! (Actually I think this would only apply to demonic summons, in most other cases monster summons spells are completely different to player spells so they won't count for abjuration).

siprus wrote:Maybe give some summoners spell which summons all of their summons from previous level to new one.

To be honest, it's easier to just make them cast their summoning spell...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 05:09

No, I believe enemy summons are not disappearing immediately. At least own hostile summons (hostile Earth Elementals from Summon Elemental spell) are not. Still it is too easy when player species is Mu.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 06:52

Sandman25 wrote:No, I believe enemy summons are not disappearing immediately. At least own hostile summons (hostile Earth Elementals from Summon Elemental spell) are not. Still it is too easy when player species is Mu.

*derisive snort*

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 06:57

rosstin wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:No, I believe enemy summons are not disappearing immediately. At least own hostile summons (hostile Earth Elementals from Summon Elemental spell) are not. Still it is too easy when player species is Mu.

*derisive snort*

Sorry, I don't understand what you wanted to ... say?

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 07:44

a) I'm actually a minotaur.
b) I think that mummies will be mummies, and their silly mummy antics should just be tolerated or ignored.

(I'm just being silly.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 07:49

rosstin wrote:a) I'm actually a minotaur.
b) I think that mummies will be mummies, and their silly mummy antics should just be tolerated or ignored.

(I'm just being silly.)

It is actually easy for all other species too. For Mu it's just too easy. I guess I should not have mentioned Mummy. It just happened that it's my first 0.13 game and I am playing a Mu.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 07:59

Have we drifted off topic?

Are you saying that summoners are still easy? What does this have to do with escaping from Sixfirhies?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 08:03

mumra wrote:Have we drifted off topic?

Are you saying that summoners are still easy? What does this have to do with escaping from Sixfirhies?

Summoners (monsters) were more dangerous in 0.12 than they are in 0.13.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 15th July 2013, 09:59

I don't really think you fight the summoners that truly count anywhere near stairs (who cares about summon greater demon), so I can't really see the problem.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Return to Game Design Discussion