Idea to return Gargoyle's self petrification.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 06:01

Idea to return Gargoyle's self petrification.

I think the idea is cool, if it was reworked and done right. I was thinking it could potentially be used as an out of combat regen 'safe' ability.

You spend an upfront cost of Hunger to go into a 'rest' state where enemies will ignore you and you regenerate your health and MP. You can't move, attack, or cast spells, have no metabolism while in statue form and have high AC and GDR (But blunt weapons will smash you easy.) If you use it in combat, enemies will still attack you.

Thoughts? It could give Gargoyles a way to regenerate in dangerous areas. Though a tradeoff could be that they have very slow, or no regeneration.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

For this message the author Xion350 has received thanks:
XuaXua

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 06:38

Re: Idea to return Gargoyle's self petrification.

I also liked the concept of self-petrify, but I don't think a "dormant healing" form is going to be very attractive.Optimal play would mean Gargoyles would end up doing a lot of backtracking to safe areas every time they wanted to heal, which is a lot of work to do nothing, and being able to rest in dangerous areas is meaningless if you "wake up" surrounded by the very enemies that made you need to rest in the first place.

It is late though, and maybe I'm missing something. Could you give me an example of when you would want to go into that dormant state instead of simply casting/wearing Regeneration?
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 06:49

For an early game Example... You just killed a unique of some kind and are low health. You go into the Dormant state and begin resting. Meanwhile an adder comes into view then passes by while you're resting.

You wouldn't really need to do any backtracking to heal since enemies would just treat you like part of the scenery and just wander by if they're active.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 09:33

This was sort of suggested in the big gargoyle thread (a 'laying dormant' ability) and no one commented on it/picked it up. Although I sort of think it's an ok idea, I prefer gargoyles as they are now without any gimmick and I feel this might be difficult to balance/be made useful.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Return to Game Design Discussion