Why Remove Stat Death?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 16:12

Why Remove Stat Death?

This list of development planning (last modified today) includes "Removed stat death"
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... g:planning

If this is true, then how come? I've always thought of it as a brilliant feature. Okay, the dex death was a bit silly, but other two were actually believable. And giving monsters other ways to kill a player besides doing old boring damage is a good thing, right?

Spoiler: show
sry if I'm posting on a previously discussed topic, but I couldn't find anything on this in GDD

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 16:16

Re: Why Remove Stat Death?

The Commit wrote:Remove stat death, have stat loss below 0 cause damage instead

Death after spending a while with a stat at 0 no longer occurs, but the
negative effects (slowing, significant stat-dependent restrictions)
and the recovery period after restoring from 0 still exist, and
additional stat loss when below 0 causes some irresistible damage.
Actual stat death was rare, slightly spoilery in implementation (in
particular the death timer being precisely 90 actions) and the stat
zero restrictions remain a pretty good reason to not want to have your
stats at zero for any length of time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 16:18

Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 17:36

It's as though the dev team is trying to remove all the annoying things in Crawl ;)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 18:42

njvack wrote:It's as though the dev team is trying to remove all the annoying things in Crawl ;)

Well, some features gone is a great thing. I'm all for the nausea removal, item destruction rehauling etc. It's just the stat death was a sort of a pet feature for me I suppose. It was quirky and scary and rare enough to be interesting and add depth to the game. I recall feeling elated the first time I died to zero Int, but that's just me I guess.

Now, granted, the new mechanic is okay, but it's arguably equally spoilery and maybe even less intuitive (why further stat loss damages me?). Stat death was edgy and roguelike-like.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 18:46

being at 0 is still very lethal as you still have the half-speed, paralysis, etc. so you will want it gone, you just won't die while making that happen - and if you can't remove it, you have a "challenge" instead of an immediate death.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 19:02

rchandra wrote:being at 0 is still very lethal as you still have the half-speed, paralysis, etc. so you will want it gone, you just won't die while making that happen - and if you can't remove it, you have a "challenge" instead of an immediate death.

Exactly. Stat instadeath is gone. It's a drag to put on a piece of jewelry and drop dead. We want you to lose the game because you made bad choices, not because we made bad choices.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks: 4
Bloax, Klown, MIC132, njvack

Return to Game Design Discussion