Recommend Octopode enchanters

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st July 2013, 06:45

Recommend Octopode enchanters

Color octopode enchanters white.

Enchanters aren't melee fighters, octopodes have +0 in short blades, hexes. They get an innate stealth bonus and +4 to stealth...stabby stabby. If your stab does fail constriction is actually a semi-decent backup plan, although it's somewhat hindered by the whole no armor thing.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st July 2013, 07:14

Re: A modest Proposal: Octopode enchanters

learndb wrote:good combo:
OpEn

Really, it's well known that combo suggestions are made by the same cat which came up with "Kikubaaqudgha." Most players don't take them too seriously.

I think something really small like this should be suggested in IRC. That's how Lightli got MuSu unrecommended. Of course, the devs might not like you bugging them over something so trivial.

Also, "A Modest Proposal" makes this sound like a satire thread due to Jonathan Swift.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st July 2013, 07:59

Re: Recommend Octopode enchanters

I've renamed the thread to make the title more informative.
It's true that this kind of small suggestion is a bit more likely to be considered if made directly on ##crawl-dev.

reaver wrote:Of course, the devs might not like you bugging them over something so trivial.

Where does that come from? I'm not much on IRC lately, but I have never witness someone getting rebuked by devs because they brought up something too trivial. Worst case is being ignored.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 1st July 2013, 16:29

I mentioned this before but it's so trivial I didn't concern myself about it and never brought it to GDD let alone IRC. Interesting to see someone else feel the same way though. Perhaps you'll have more energy than I and actually get it changed.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st July 2013, 17:13

reaver wrote:
OpEn

Really, it's well known that combo suggestions are made by the same cat which came up with "Kikubaaqudgha." Most players don't take them too seriously.

Well, there is certainly effort behind the recommendations and there have been reviews of them. I think the latest was a while ago, balance and strategies have shifted since then. It would be nice to have them reviewed again for the benefit of new players.

--Eino

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st July 2013, 19:21

reaver wrote:
OpEn

I think something really small like this should be suggested in IRC. That's how Lightli got MuSu unrecommended. Of course, the devs might not like you bugging them over something so trivial.

Also, "A Modest Proposal" makes this sound like a satire thread due to Jonathan Swift.

That was entirely intentional, I love that story. Perhaps it may make people think my proposal was also satire, but I was willing to take that risk. I mean, the whole proposal was one line on my screen, and fairly straightforward ;) I also don't hang out in IRC, although if that's preferred for small things maybe I could fire it up sometime.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2013, 05:59

Dj everything should be recommended 'cause hitdudez is a great strategy. Fedhas too.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 02:10

reaver wrote:
OpEn

I've always completely avoided playing anything that isn't recommended. I figured there were very good reasons for what is or isn't recommended and it wasn't my place to question it because it's decided by people who know a lot more than I do about the game. I've thought that from when I started up until reading this thread just now. I've won a decent amount of games too, even one with 15 runes. I find it hard to believe that "most players don't take them seriously", or maybe I just don't want to be the minority..

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 6th July 2013, 04:39

Isaiadrenaline wrote:I've always completely avoided playing anything that isn't recommended. I figured there were very good reasons for what is or isn't recommended and it wasn't my place to question it because it's decided by people who know a lot more than I do about the game.

Recommended combos, such as RaBg, are recommended relative to other choices for Ra and other choices for Bg.

This is why Tr** and **Be are not all recommended. However all Tr (other than CK I guess) and all Be are relatively easy combos (some of the worst Be are probably not so great).

The biggest exception here is that CK and Wn are recommended for no races.

And of course sometimes these aren't updated or given as much thought as they could be.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Return to Game Design Discussion