Nepocsis, god of permanent allies for healthy summoners

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 17:47

Nepocsis, god of permanent allies for healthy summoners

Nepocsis, god of tyranny

Nepocsis is a god of control and forced domination. He allows players to use some of their max hp to dominate the minds of intelligent monsters, turning them into permanent minions. At higher piety levels he lets the player slaughter minions that have served their purpose for mana, and gives a couple ways to fire around friendly slaves.

Purpose:
To provide casters with permanent allies similar to what melee classes get with Beogh and Yredelemnul, to give summoners some more interesting strategic options than just mobbing enemies, and to incorporate some of the ideas in the “max hp cost for summons” proposal to encourage the use of beefy spellcasters like naga and deep dwarves.

Given Abilities:
None

Dominate: Costs: 3MP, max hp Smite targeted ability usable on normal intelligence or higher monsters, opposed by magic resistance. Successfully dominating an enemy turns it into a permanent ally, but lowers the player’s maximum health based on the dominated creature’s hit dice. The player’s maximum health returns to normal when the monster dies (their current hp is unaffected).

Dominated creatures do not gain any experience themselves, and will never grow any more powerful than when they were dominated. Named unique monsters are ineligible for domination (“______ refuses to bow to your will!”).

Recall: Costs: 2MP, food exactly the same as Yeredelemnul’s recall.

Cull: Costs: food, 1mp Instantly kills a dominated monster, returning mana to the player based on the target’s hit dice and current health. (creature HD) * (1 + Invocations * 0.05) * (% of target’s current health) mana returned, something like that.

Scatter the weak: Costs: food, 2mp Beam targeted, instant spell. Does no damage, but pushes friendly monsters in its path to either side to let the player easily fire through their horde of friends.

Gathering power: Costs: piety Instantly teleports all friendly monsters in the player’s LOS adjacent to the player, letting the player surround melee enemies with monsters.

Sigil of Control: Costs: piety The player temporarily gains the ability to fire spells through their allies and summons, and makes these allies immune to any damage caused by the player’s spells.

The cost in food, piety and max hp for all of these abilities will need to be determined. Dominate and Scatter the Weak should be usable near constantly, within reason. Gathering Power and Sigil of Control should only be useful in emergencies due to their steep piety costs, to balance out them being the only things Nepocsis followers spend piety on in the first place.

Appreciates/depreciates:

What I have here is subject to change. Right now the idea is to be an easy god to build piety for in the early game, but difficult in the extended end game to keep his piety-costing powers from being abusable by late game casters.

Flavor-wise, Nepocsis values social order and obedience so having a more restricted code of conduce would make sense. It just didn't seem like a good idea gameplay-wise.

Appreciates:
Piety for killing intelligent, living creatures not following a god

Depreciates:
Piety lost over time

Is Deciding to Worship Nepocsis a Meaningful Choice?

Nepocsis’s mana regeneration mechanic is the riskiest (and probably worst) offered by any of the spellcasting gods; the player’s maximum hp is lowered for using it and there is always a chance slaves will die before they are culled. He also doesn’t offer any spellbooks, forcing the player to possibly risk needing to hybridize if they get unlucky and don’t find any useful books. In return, Nepocsis offers permanent and quite probably terrifying servants, the ability to easily fire beams around them at enemies and easy access to recall.

A character planning to make heavy use of summons and conjurations would get the most value out of this skillset, but due to the risks it certainly isn't a no-brainer choice for a summoner to pick Nepocsis. Also, since species with more HP could maintain a sizable army of the worst of whatever monsters they are currently encountering, it isn't a no-brainer choice for a non-summoner to not pick Nepocsis either. Any character who wants allies, has enough health to not be crippled by the hp costs and uses any ranged attacks and/or spells ever could get good use out of this god.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 17:48

Re: Nepocsis, god of permanent allies for healthy summoners

So, thoughts? I tried to put the two parts most likely to be problematic right in the title. I know enough C++ to try building this, if there’s any interest. Hell, even if there isn't any interest from anyone but me building it could be a fun project.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 18:46

From what I've read in other new god proposals the current philosophy is to have gods be useful regardless of, and have abilities orthogonal to, playstyle; the more focused gods like Vehumet and Trog are mostly grandfathered in from Linley's Dungeon Crawl. Nepocsis seems pretty focused on casters, given that they're the ones who can most afford to lose the HP since they have less direct enemy contact. Melee characters probably won't want to risk it since they're constantly on the front lines, arrow users can't use Sigil of Control to fire through the horde and stealth characters don't want the noise that having followers brings.

I think some pretty large changes will have to be made in order for there to be any chance of this making it into trunk.
Wins: DEWz^Veh (4 runes), DEWz^Veh (15 runes), DEWz^Sif (3 runes), HOBe^Trog (3 runes), MiDK^Yred (3 runes), DECj^Sif (4 runes), GrBe^Trog (3 runes), DECj^Vehu (3 runes), MiFi^Wu Jian (3 runes), DEFE^Veh (3 runes), DEFE^Veh (15 runes)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 18:54

I figured arrow users didn't need to be included in sigil of control, since they already have portal projectile for that.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 19:02

KennySheep wrote:I figured arrow users didn't need to be included in sigil of control, since they already have portal projectile for that.

Sure, assuming they actually have it. Only Warpers start with it; Hunters, Arcane Marksman, and any backgrounds using slings or thrown objects will have to find a book with it first.
Wins: DEWz^Veh (4 runes), DEWz^Veh (15 runes), DEWz^Sif (3 runes), HOBe^Trog (3 runes), MiDK^Yred (3 runes), DECj^Sif (4 runes), GrBe^Trog (3 runes), DECj^Vehu (3 runes), MiFi^Wu Jian (3 runes), DEFE^Veh (3 runes), DEFE^Veh (15 runes)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 19:11

That is true, but I still don't think this is all that big a deal. Sigil wasn't designed with shooting single targets in mind, scatter the weak was. You're making it sound like I haven't given archers any options here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 21:20

There are already two different permanent ally gods (Yred and Beogh). I really don't think crawl needs a third.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 21:30

crate wrote:There are already two different permanent ally gods (Yred and Beogh). I really don't think crawl needs a third.

I just want one for a class I like playing, honestly. We have two, they're both for fighters, one's only for orcs.

I'd be just as happy with making Yred have somethng to help shoot conjurations through the horde, really.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 22:45

KennySheep wrote:I'd be just as happy with making Yred have somethng to help shoot conjurations through the horde, really.

Try learning bolt of draining

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 22:51

KennySheep wrote:I'd be just as happy with making Yred have somethng to help shoot conjurations through the horde, really.
Then why not propose that Yred let's you shoot conjurations/ranged attacks through the horde? It would be a lot less work and I think it would be an interesting addition.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 23:17

crate wrote:Try learning bolt of draining

Kinda dumb to base a strategy around a spell that's not in a starting book. Venom bolt would probably be a better bet.

reaver wrote:Then why not propose that Yred let's you shoot conjurations/ranged attacks through the horde? It would be a lot less work and I think it would be an interesting addition.

Didn't think of it at the time, tbh.

Just getting to shoot over allies comes off as boring to me, plus stepping on Fedhas's toes. The main things I liked in this proposal were being able to clear a path to a desired target, and slaughtering permanent allies for some mana. The rest of the god was sort of built around that. Both of these probably wouldn't be out of place on Yredelemnul.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th June 2013, 23:51

oh right undead are immune to poison now, that works too

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 28th June 2013, 12:42

Undead aren't immune to freezing cloud, but most are highly resistant to it, so it still works pretty well also.

The "clear a path" ability wouldn't do anything unless your allies are prevented from simply moving right back into the tiles they vacated, because most of the time that's exactly what they would do.

Using smite-targeted abilities to de-hostilify enemies is a lot like Ely, but in this case the "pacified" monsters fight for you, give you full XP when you kill them (which you can do automatically), and restore mana. The HP penalty would slightly offset the fact that this is otherwise just plain better, but the extra mana you gain from culling your minions can more than make up for a casting of Regeneration.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 28th June 2013, 14:31

Clearing a path would be an instant ability, like Chei's temporal distortion, it's still your turn after using it. It would only really work to open up a path and shoot once though, before all the minions move back. Being able to leave some sort of cloud of antipathy to keep minions from going into an area for a couple turns could work too.

Return to Game Design Discussion