Suggestion: Autofight should pursue submerged spaces

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th June 2013, 01:35

Suggestion: Autofight should pursue submerged spaces

Autofight automatically goes after monsters... to fight them.

Autofight does not approach submerged spaces (spaces with monsters in them that generally appear when you're next to them) or water spaces that have an invisible monster standing in them (showing a submerged tile, in Tiles).
Autotravel does not travel when submerged spaces (or said invisible monster in water tile) are visible.

I am of the opinion that Autofight should go after submerged spaces.

- - -

In other news since I have your attention and a slightly related note: as of the v.13 build I am using, antennae detect monsters in deep water, but do not show the typical "invisible monster outline" on the appropriate deep water tile. Is this intentional?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 15th June 2013, 02:24

Re: Suggestion: Autofight should pursue submerged spaces

XuaXua wrote:In other news since I have your attention and a slightly related note: as of the v.13 build I am using, antennae detect monsters in deep water, but do not show the typical "invisible monster outline" on the appropriate deep water tile. Is this intentional?

This could be an accident related to the cloud display changes I made. But what is shown there instead?

Regarding the OP: submerged monsters are basically just really annoying and something more drastic needs doing about them.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
Sporkman

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th June 2013, 03:32

There is a message of existence, but otherwise it is just still deep water.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th June 2013, 07:40

That would make Swamp so much less annoying. I am tired of "There is a disturbance nearby!" disabling both of my favourite buttons (o and Tab). Of course, there might be some lua/ini tweak I have no idea about, but in that case it should be default IMO.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th June 2013, 13:39

The thing is, these spots are never NOT enemy monsters ( though there is the friendly Ely fish...).. Allies don't submerge and invisible allies are more detectable.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 15th June 2013, 14:06

I guess the idea is that melee water monsters can be easily killed with a +0 spear or ranged weapon at no danger unless they have submerge, like giant goldfish skeletons in that one kiku vault

Whether that means the inclusion of the vitally important giant goldfish and the deadly and infamous jellyfish is worth the annoyances that submergence caused is another issue I guess

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th June 2013, 23:45

Another similar complaint/suggestion about autofight: can it be made to attempt to break out of nets and webs? This is mainly because of Spider Nest.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Wahaha, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th June 2013, 14:37

Without submerge, clouds would be way more effective against water monsters. Probably the only way to make water monsters interesting w/o submerge is to give them all ranged attacks of some sort so that they can meaningfully interact w/ characters who aren't standing in/next to water.

Alternately, a water monster w/o ranged attacks which creates water wherever it goes -- or in advance of its path -- could be interesting. An aquatic boring beetle, if you will.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th June 2013, 15:56

Probably the only way to make water monsters interesting w/o submerge

are you implying they are interesting now? I would really like to see water (and lava) monsters removed from crawl entirely

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Lokkij

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 17th June 2013, 17:10

Lasty wrote:Without submerge, clouds would be way more effective against water monsters. Probably the only way to make water monsters interesting w/o submerge is to give them all ranged attacks of some sort so that they can meaningfully interact w/ characters who aren't standing in/next to water.

Alternately, a water monster w/o ranged attacks which creates water wherever it goes -- or in advance of its path -- could be interesting. An aquatic boring beetle, if you will.

With the new temporary water code, this sounds interesting. Could make for some interesting vaults. I also support turning giant goldfish into rifle fish, and giving them a ranged water breath attack.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 17th June 2013, 17:20

crate wrote:
Probably the only way to make water monsters interesting w/o submerge

are you implying they are interesting now? I would really like to see water (and lava) monsters removed from crawl entirely

No, though I can see how it could easily be read that way. What I mean is that the current melee-only water monsters would be even more boring and pointless (though less tedious) if they were exactly the same but without submerge. My overall point is that water monsters aren't inherently boring, but that melee-range ones w/o some kind of gimmick that forces engagement or creates zone denial are totally pointless.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 18th June 2013, 04:50

Drag out deep water? Ha. Monster drags out LAVA with it.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th June 2013, 05:58

replace them all with krakens, krakens are awesome

Return to Game Design Discussion