Formicids (Was: Dwants)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 19:34

Re: Formicids (Was: Dwants)

Lucy also seems reasonable to use for a Formicid to me (because uncontrolled god-blink is better than no blink at all) As does TSO (because he's a decent all around problem solver in extended for just about anyone, particularly those who specialize in melee combat) As does Makhelb (because healing, ranged attacks and powerful summons are good things to have, particularly when you don't have some of the movement and hasting capacity that other races do)

Kiku, Veh, Jiyva, Fedhas, and Sif would all be about the same as with any other race, Oka, Trog, Nemlex, and Chei all seem worse for Fo than for other races.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 19:39

Yeah, Trog would suck, considering you can't berserk, but I guess you could still use Hand of Trog or Brothers in Arms. How are Okawaru and Nemelex worse for Formicids, though? They've got +2 evocations for Nemelex, and Okawaru helps them do shield+2-hander (though I guess losing Finesse is kinda big).

Do spells like Passage of Golubria or Phase Shift work for Formicids, or does their stasis block them, too?
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 19:45

spudwalt wrote:Do spells like Passage of Golubria or Phase Shift work for Formicids, or does their stasis block them, too?

Phase Shift and Passage of Golubria both work for formicids.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 19:48

spudwalt wrote:Yeah, Trog would suck, considering you can't berserk, but I guess you could still use Hand of Trog or Brothers in Arms. How are Okawaru and Nemelex worse for Formicids, though? They've got +2 evocations for Nemelex, and Okawaru helps them do shield+2-hander (though I guess losing Finesse is kinda big).

Do spells like Passage of Golubria or Phase Shift work for Formicids, or does their stasis block them, too?

Yes to both of those spells working. And Yes, that's why Oka is worse for Formicids than for other races, (And in extended, it's quite possible to train those last 5 points so heroism becomes less useful, whereas finesse is never not-useful for anyone who attacks with a weapon)

Nemelex is slightly worse for Formicids for similar reasons (Some cards are not useful; Again in extended, summon and attack cards become less useful, whereas escape cards usually retain the same value, and Formicids can't use all of them)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 19:49

Well, looks like I finally have a reason to use Passage of Golubria.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 20:08

Formicids can also speed up by using spider form.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 20:37

For what it's worth I won a FoBe in experimental branch, and I found it worked fairly well. Sure you can't zerk but Trog's Hand is still good and Brothers in Arms still rip everything you want to be ripped. Also Trog's G(S)C gifts are pretty remarkable. I got a vamp one in Lair and it carried me through the game easily.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 20:43

BlackSheep wrote:Formicids can also speed up by using spider form.

I just noticed that a Formicid in spider form wearing a ring of poison resistance still has poison vulnerability. Should they get double the penalty like that?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 21:11

Please don't turn this into a Chei-wars thread. If you want to debate the merits of the god or discuss ways to improve Chei, start a new thread.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 22:26

BlackSheep wrote:Please don't turn this into a Chei-wars thread. If you want to debate the merits of the god or discuss ways to improve Chei, start a new thread.

Done.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
dpeg, Mankeli

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 11th November 2013, 23:52

FoVm^Chei got to and was comfortable in lair, until I died to the first hydra, "one more hit should kill" syndrome. A lucky Wiz ring in D5 but no rPois for most of it. plenty of conj, poison and invocation, decent defensive and weapon skill. Translocation would be nice as a cheibrodite but step from time is nice as a formicid.

also, Fomicid can't beserk even though chei would only allow the strength buff.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 01:21

Siegurt wrote: Oka, Trog, Nemlex, and Chei all seem worse for Fo than for other races.

Even with heroism alone I think Oka is a solid choice for Fo-plus he gives you armor and weapon.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 02:07

I still think +2 exp apt is pretty ridiculous (not sure Fo need another thing to differentiate them, and +1 exp is already quite good). I also 100% agree with whoever was saying poison vulnerability is mostly just a hassle (increased resting). That's more of a commentary on how poison works than on Fo though. I love the dig/shaft/stasis dynamic, and really approve of the species as a whole. Just a couple things need to be polished up, but it seems very good overall.

Also, is shafting disallowed in Hell? I looked through 4tharraofdagon's winning FoFi log and it looks to me like he shafted heavily in the Hell branches. If it is disallowed for some reason, I think that is kind of silly. Not being able to haste/tele is already quite a big penalty in the Hells, I don't see anything wrong with being able to speed up floors 1-6, which are mostly tedious anyways.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 02:13

nordetsa wrote:
Siegurt wrote: Oka, Trog, Nemlex, and Chei all seem worse for Fo than for other races.

Even with heroism alone I think Oka is a solid choice for Fo-plus he gives you armor and weapon.

Sure, but the claim that Fo get less from Oka than other species (specifically, Fo do not get finesse) is true. Oka is still perfectly viable I'm sure. Only Fo__ of Chei sounds like it would be extremely hard, but I think that's fine.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 12:58

I've been out of Crawl for months, just wanted to say the mere idea of Formicids brought me back to it.

I love them. Not much more to say. Brb play some more formicid.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 13:27

and into wrote:
nordetsa wrote:

Sure, but the claim that Fo get less from Oka than other species (specifically, Fo do not get finesse) is true. Oka is still perfectly viable I'm sure. Only Fo__ of Chei sounds like it would be extremely hard, but I think that's fine.

I don't understand.

Fo's stasis already prevent haste/swiftness, so kitting is clearly reduced to a really low level, so Chei only bring her slowness to the whole.
Step From time even give you a TP-like ability you could not have without her (or the few similar god-ability(ies?)).
Even more, the stats bonus coupled to the high fo's Stealth skill let you handle threats nearly the way you want, wearing heavier armor than a stabber while staying stealthy, doesn't it ?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 13:44

tompliss wrote:I don't understand.

Fo's stasis already prevent haste/swiftness, so kitting is clearly reduced to a really low level, so Chei only bring her slowness to the whole.

Most characters has a simple option to avoid unwanted fights: walk away. Chei worshipers do not have this option. Since fights you rather want to avoid is quite common in crawl, Chei worshipers usually want to use some other option.

Stealth is good, but not reliable, and step from time is very expensive if that is the sole escape option for every single encounter where you do not want to fight. I guess it's possible to win with a Fo of Chei, just I guess wining without a god would be easier.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 16:25

Hey, has wand acq been changed for Fo so that they don't get sticks of tele and haste?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 16:32

You want them :
You can TP ennemies away, and haste your allies ;)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 16:58

That sounds completely worth not having much greater chances to have a stick of HW.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 17:02

The primary driver of acquirement has been: can the item be used. Even if it can only be used suboptimally, those wands can still be used.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 17:27

I ran into a nasty bug though: When going with Oka and getting finesse online I get constantly the message "you cannot use finesse because of your stasis". I get this message multiple times per turn so it is making this character unplayable. I've seen others play Okawaru games so this is probably already known so I didn't open a ticket in Mantis. Inform me, if this isn't the case, please. Version crawl_tiles-0.14-a0-788-g14b720c.

This _might_ have been fixed. If you still have the save, could you update to latest trunk and see if the message still gets spammed?

Also, is shafting disallowed in Hell?

You can shaft all you want in hell.

Hey, has wand acq been changed for Fo so that they don't get sticks of tele and haste?

Not currently.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 19:01

pubby wrote:You can shaft all you want in hell.

Somehow, this just sounds dirty.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
onton, spudwalt, Tiktacy

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 20:23

Yo pubby, how come dwants have -2 throwing? They can still chuck ruks perfectly fine with zero skill which is more than enough in the early-mid game, so it doesn't stop them from doing that and later on I feel it screws a bit with needle stabbing for... well, no reason I can see.
Besides if they are the third race allowed to chuck ruks I don't see why you'd want to make offensive throwing a bit more obviously good for them, although a buff to throwing would not be mainly in benefit of that but needle stabbing.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 20:26

not sure if this is bug or intended, but I'm playing FoAK, and the bend space ability works normally.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 20:28

I figured bend space works because Lugonu is the god of the Abyss, where translocations/stasis just kinda fizzle. It's a divine ability given by the god of "not even stasis can protect you now!".

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 20:37

Awesome. so, Lucy gives the best scape options for Fo, right now, doesn't it?
and you can even search the abyss for some stuff (i got an amulet of warding), cuz the anttenae lets you escape from any threat...
it's fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 20:38

Yeah, I just assumed it worked for the same reasons that bend SPAAACE works with the amulet on, or why trog's regen works on a DD, because a god trumps mortal limitations.

Also because it makes FoAK much more interesting.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 20:51

yes it does.
as does [insert nice 2H weapon] of distortion and shield.
I am having lots of fun. never tought this would make into trunk.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 20:54

One thing I like about formicids-- you can use teleport traps to ditch monsters from the start.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 21:33

Yeah, teleport traps are cool. I ran into a player ghost and lured him into a teleport trap. No more ghost problems for most of the rest of the level.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 21:34

Don't do it in ZoT5. Nothing worse than OoF, Ancient Lich and Klown (which you lured into the teleportation trap earlier) between you and stairs when you are retreating from other dangerous monsters.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 21:36

One thing is worse: dying.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 2
Hirsch I, Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 12th November 2013, 22:31

dck wrote:Yo pubby, how come dwants have -2 throwing? They can still chuck ruks perfectly fine with zero skill which is more than enough in the early-mid game, so it doesn't stop them from doing that and later on I feel it screws a bit with needle stabbing for... well, no reason I can see.
Besides if they are the third race allowed to chuck ruks I don't see why you'd want to make offensive throwing a bit more obviously good for them, although a buff to throwing would not be mainly in benefit of that but needle stabbing.

Well, I imagine it's rather hard to use a blowgun when all you have are spiracles!

Anyway, the reason throwing is -2 is to make crossbows competitive with large rocks. I like the idea of using crossbow+shield, and I think it would be a shame if that play-style was completely outclassed. Needles are fun too, but there are other species which can do that already.

not sure if this is bug or intended, but I'm playing FoAK, and the bend space ability works normally.

Intended. Passage of golubria works too.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 02:15

pubby wrote:
dck wrote:Yo pubby, how come dwants have -2 throwing? They can still chuck ruks perfectly fine with zero skill which is more than enough in the early-mid game, so it doesn't stop them from doing that and later on I feel it screws a bit with needle stabbing for... well, no reason I can see.

Well, I imagine it's rather hard to use a blowgun when all you have are spiracles!
Do they have bladders

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 02:40

If Mummies and Gargoyles can use a blowgun, I think every other species should get +5.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 03:42

Pubby these guys are mad cool mate, gj.
Although one thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not sure the rPois- is achieving its intended effect. It was dangerous in a couple of places because well, you need two sources to have rPois+ and stop parrows and some bolts from murdering you but the vulnerability was most noticeable during the game due to making me rest a lot (although during the worst part I had a tla) and little more.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 04:02

dck wrote:... but the vulnerability was most noticeable during the game due to making me rest a lot (although during the worst part I had a tla) and little more.

After some more testing, I agree with this take on poison vulnerability. In most cases, it is not a big deal during a fight, but leads to a lot of key-mashing to rest after the fight.

Really liked the 2H+large shield combo, and should have won my most recent game (but made one too many poor decisions in Pan).

For this message the author MrPlanck has received thanks:
earLOBe

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 04:41

well, I was obliterated by poison in 9 of 10 games I played as Fo. killed me a lot more than Stasis.
but I guess that is just me being a shitty player.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 23:57

Just a thought here... Since they have four arms, shouldn't they be able to wear 4 rings?
After all, octopodes with 8 arms wear 8 rings.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 23:59

^ Good suggestion on the multiple rings!

One fun option I've been experimenting with is formicid staff-berserkers, since they can wield one-handed with a shield. Lots of artifact lajatang gifts, nice! :)

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:44

Tristian wrote:Just a thought here... Since they have four arms, shouldn't they be able to wear 4 rings?
After all, octopodes with 8 arms wear 8 rings.

4 rings would be too good. But maybe a second set of gloves?
Winning races: Ce, DD, DS, Dj, Dr, Fo, Gr, HO, LO, Mf, Mi, Na, Og, Tr
Winning backrounds: AK, Ar, As, Be, Cj, DK, Fi, Gl, Hu, Mo, Pr, Su, Wn

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 23:14

Four rings should be out, I think. The species has enough slots as is. However, another set of gloves is a nice idea because it plays so well on the six legs of insects. If you really wanted to, you could say that they wear the rings on their antennas. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 23:26

dpeg wrote:Four rings should be out, I think. The species has enough slots as is. However, another set of gloves is a nice idea because it plays so well on the six legs of insects. If you really wanted to, you could say that they wear the rings on their antennas. :)

OTOH I've always had trouble picturing an ant-human wearing boots, which formicids can, I would give them two sets of gloves, but no boots :)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 02:23

Just give them two "strong" arms to prevent inevitable 4 ring questions.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 02:51

A single arm and a giant beard.
one of the gloves goes on the beard.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 02:52

dwarfmountainant

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 09:32

dpeg wrote:Four rings should be out, I think. The species has enough slots as is. However, another set of gloves is a nice idea because it plays so well on the six legs of insects. If you really wanted to, you could say that they wear the rings on their antennas. :)

This would allow ring swapping with cursed gloves. Which would be a good thing in case of a second glove slot. Otherwise, you'd want to be able to differentiate your ring hands to wear-id gloves on your ringless hands. Which would be clumsy and boring.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 11:01

Oh, little thing about the Formicid's entry in the wiki :
when given the choice between ranged weapons (so for Hunter and AM), formicids can choose large rocks, right ?
shouldn't it be put in the articale, as for ogres
Ogre hunters are given a choice of large rocks instead of javelins.

Ps: I mean, given how nice FoAM are, with their Large rocks to kill the early nemesis (yeah, adders, I talk about you), their book of hexes (oh, look, a nice bonus), and the fact that they can play the stealthy assassin (killing with stealthy 50kg rocks).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 11:15

Playing some other Fo and I've just lost one early on.
I was on D:4 and I had spent my only heal wounds to survive a snake poison (whose attack btw did almost nothing). One kobold enters in LOS, the first action is to poison me with his blowgun. I'm immediately on red poison status, I kill him without taking more damage, but with no curing (I hadn't found any yet) or heal wounds avaiable I'm doomed to an unfair death.

I believe Fo should really start with a couple of healing pots, to avoid this unavoidable deaths, or even better to get a more flavorued and working pois- mut.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok
PreviousNext

Return to Game Design Discussion