proposal: Ash should show armour enchantment

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 12:14

proposal: Ash should show armour enchantment

When you start worshipping ash, he shows that an armour is uncursed, but not it's enchantment level, but this only adds tedium of trying on every armour that you are interest in without the danger of it sticking to you. So it would make more sense if he didn't show if it's cursed or not or he would just show it's enchantment as you can try it on without much danger.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 13:42

Re: proposal: Ash should show armour enchantment

Amnesiac wrote:When you start worshipping ash, he shows that an armour is uncursed, but not it's enchantment level, but this only adds tedium of trying on every armour that you are interest in without the danger of it sticking to you. So it would make more sense if he didn't show if it's cursed or not or he would just show it's enchantment as you can try it on without much danger.

Whether or not he shows its enchantment (I don't think it would be big deal if Ash did) he definitely needs to show its cursed status. It would make much less sense if he didn't show cursed status. However, letting him show enchantment level in addition is I think a reasonable proposal.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 15:24

and into wrote:It would make much less sense if he didn't show cursed status

yes, what I mean is that there is not much sense in not showing enchantment if there is no danger of the item to be cursed

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 16:19

Amnesiac wrote:
and into wrote:It would make much less sense if he didn't show cursed status

yes, what I mean is that there is not much sense in not showing enchantment if there is no danger of the item to be cursed

Ah, I see. In that case, your sense that it does not make sense to hide enchantment, does make a lot of sense. :)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 17:52

Amnesiac wrote:yes, what I mean is that there is not much sense in not showing enchantment if there is no danger of the item to be cursed

Well if you're worshiping ash, odds are your gear is cursed and you would have to uncurse it...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 18:12

Ash shows enchantment levels with sufficient piety if you're wearing corresponding cursed gear. His point is that if your gear is uncursed and you know a piece of armor (or weapon in 0.14) on the floor is uncursed, it's trivial to find out its enchantment level, so Ash should just give up the goods.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 18:19

BlackSheep wrote:Ash shows enchantment levels with sufficient piety if you're wearing corresponding cursed gear. His point is that if your gear is uncursed and you know a piece of armor (or weapon in 0.14) on the floor is uncursed, it's trivial to find out its enchantment level, so Ash should just give up the goods.

Sure, I was just saying this should only apply if your corresponding gear is uncursed. This should also not apply to runed/glowing weapons because distortion.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 19:06

considering all points above, he should simply show enchantment from the beginning even if you can't try on armour when your's is cursed, you will have to uncurse it when you find something worthwhile

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 19:21

That would certainly be simpler

Return to Game Design Discussion