Implementation of a jump attack ability

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th August 2013, 18:08

Re: Implementation of a jump attack ability

gammafunk wrote:Yes, scaling attack power by evocations is a good thing to consider. One problem is that we don't want it to add too much additional damage, but giving 1% more per level of evocations for a single attack is perhaps too little. Either way, evocations skill will likely end up affecting the attack in some way beyond range.

Well, if the current set damage increase is 120% maxing at 127% is "around the same" which is why I selected it, I personally think that 152% damage (2%/evocation) might be a bit much, but you'd hit the higher bonuses earlier, perhaps a scaled down effect later (so it's better from 1-10 than it is from 11-27) would be more appropriate something like:
  Code:
{
      int sk_bonus;
      sk_bonus = you.skill(SK_EVOCATIONS, 20)
      damage_done += damage_done*stepdown(sk_bonus,50)/1000;
}

Would give a growth of 10% bonus damage at Evo 5, 15.85% bonus at Skill 10, 20% at skill 15, 23.22% at skill 20, 25.85% at skill 25, and would max out at 26.78% at Evo 27

You could give an effective skill level of 5 for mutation level 1, 15 for level 2, and 25 for level 3....
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 2nd September 2013, 14:43

I find this to be an interesting experiment, though I think it should move to it's own skill, something you'd have to invest a lot in if you wanted to use, rather than randomly find (or mutate into) which skill effects relatively little. I'd also like to suggest a recoil on miss (you just fell and hit the ground with force). Leveling the skill could affect range, damage, accuracy, exhaustion time and recoil.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd October 2013, 05:57

Jump attack is now in trunk. The only two major changes between the version in the experimental branch and this latest are the following

• You can attempt to jump-attack a square with no visible monster. If it turns out there was no monster, the jump fails and you lose the turn.
  • If any of the possible landing sites have traps, clouds, exclusions, or deep water/lava and you have expiring flight/transformation, you'll be prompted before the jump.

Before dangerous landing sites were not considered. Now jump will consider sites with clouds, traps, and deep water lava (even if you have expiring flight/transform), but will make the necessary prompts to the player first.

There have been a number of suggestions for e.g. damage, accuracy, and incorporating evocations in a more meaningful way. I'll take a careful look at those; thanks for the feedback, and thanks to those who tested it in the experimental branch!
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion