Back from the Dead

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 13:40

Back from the Dead

Playing a Xom CK, I was facing Pikel when Xom decided to infuse the area with divine lightning.

The lightning killed Pikel, one of his slaves, my Xom-allied lemure.. and myself. I saw my HPs at -2 as it was processing the messages of each of the results of the lightning - but apparently I gained a level and the HP gain from the level gain kept me alive.

Intended? Not that I'm complaining, mind you.. but do level gains/area damage like that process simultaneously game-wise even though it doesn't process simultaneously display-wise?
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 14:37

Re: Back from the Dead

I'm pretty sure it is intended that Xom 'Not' directly kill you with his divine acts. Polymorphing an enemy or summoning one to indirectly kill you fine, but he won't kill you directly.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 15:50

I tried to test this in wiz mode, but I found it nigh impossible to get all the variables correct- dealing lethal damage to the player and and enemies in such an arrangement that the enemies give enough XP to provide health that would make the lethal damage not lethal any more? I couldn't get it to work.
Davion Fuxa wrote:I'm pretty sure it is intended that Xom 'Not' directly kill you with his divine acts. Polymorphing an enemy or summoning one to indirectly kill you fine, but he won't kill you directly.
I'm 99% sure this is correct.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 18:37

Interesting. Ok, well that makes a little more sense then than having all those variables click at the exact same time to save my bacon.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 19:11

Divine lightning in particular sets your health back to 1 directly after the explosion, if it would have killed you.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
tcjsavannah

Return to Game Design Discussion