Weapon Skills

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 21:16

Weapon Skills

There was a discussion I read awhile back about wanting to change the weapon skill so its more useful as you raise the skill level, I just had this thought today so decided to post it, apologies if this has already been suggested before.

When you raise a weapon level, at certain marks your character gains a special passive ability that is either triggered randomly, or under certain conditions depending on the skill.

Example: (Not saying the following should be used, but examples of type.)

Long Blades:

Lvl 10: Gain Double Strike passive ability, 10% chance to activate, deals 2 attacks 75% dmg. (then have it gain incrementally for the, say, next 5 levels, til its maxed out at 25% chance to activate at 90% damage

Lvl 18: Gain Honor Guard passive ability. 15% chance to retaliate when receiving melee dmg. (I'm horrible at wording I know.)

Lvl 27: Gain Shinar active ability. At cost of 30 hp and 30 mp deal massive damage to one target.

Anyways, thats my idea. Don't know if it fits with the crawl philosophy or not, but it would be a way to encourage people to max out their skills.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 21:45

Re: Weapon Skills

There is an old proposal on the dev wiki to give a bonus for every skill at level 27:
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ll_mastery

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 7th June 2013, 22:58

Sorted wrote:Lvl 10: Gain Double Strike passive ability, 10% chance to activate, deals 2 attacks 75% dmg. (then have it gain incrementally for the, say, next 5 levels, til its maxed out at 25% chance to activate at 90% damage

I'm actually thinking about proposing a new staff type (three-section staff) that would do something similar. Not quite that and I want to consider weapon delay and such before I throw it out here. But something that would give a reason to train staves higher than 14.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 00:12

For what it's worth, the increase in damage is usually enough to make me want to train low delay weapons to higher skills. I rarely finish games with my weapon skill below 20, even while using, e.g. a lajatang or demon blade.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
battaile

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 8th June 2013, 01:12

Hmm. I rarely train past min delay so I wasn't really aware that the damage increase was noticeable. Of course I tend to play guys where melee is definitely a lower priority than spells or stealth.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 9th June 2013, 04:48

I don't like the idea of anything involving hard breakpoints of the sort you're describing. The only skills I can think of right now that have such a thing are weapon skills (for mindelay purposes) - other instances of this have been actively removed (EVP for armour being the most recent casualty), and at least one dev (galehar) has semi-actively been looking into reworking weapon formulas to make the magic numbers go away.

I acknowledge the base problem, but when the base problem involves magic numbers, adding more magic numbers is counterproductive.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 9th June 2013, 05:13

sgrunt wrote:I don't like the idea of anything involving hard breakpoints of the sort you're describing. The only skills I can think of right now that have such a thing are weapon skills (for mindelay purposes) - other instances of this have been actively removed (EVP for armour being the most recent casualty), and at least one dev (galehar) has semi-actively been looking into reworking weapon formulas to make the magic numbers go away.

I acknowledge the base problem, but when the base problem involves magic numbers, adding more magic numbers is counterproductive.

everytime i read a thread that has a dev pposting that stupid dev wants to take cut something, why do u want to take out magic numbers from crawl, i can`t stand it!!!!!!!HERE is the what all devs think AND say `cut cut cut cut` its OBVIOUS they would get to the numbers i read what even they saud on irc
well i cant fucin`g take it anymore. i am forking crawl, i am learning c+ and lua as one language. dungeon crawl: magic number sludge dwarves and it wi;; be on kjickstarter so u can give me money to make the game and learn to programing lancuage. and it will be combine potion ½nds and cook with cood, to make it better, so food can interesting is crawl, if u give generelsy. also u name your own unique with $40, and i get the money :mrgreen:
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Grimm, neil

Return to Game Design Discussion