Tentative Proposal- More casting forms

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 22:17

Tentative Proposal- More casting forms

Asking before I waste time thinking/coding it, but I think there is room for more transmutations that are beneficial to casters. I was thinking something like either a single Elemental form spell that transforms you into an elemental form based upon what you're highest elemental magic school is - or random if there are equally trained ones - with the benefits as an attunement bonus to that element - ala ring of fire/ice - and either a large casting penalty to the opposite or a smaller casting penalty to the opposite school but a minor penalty to the other two schools as well - e.g. fire form gives a medium penalty to ice and a minor penalty to earth and air, but a large bonus to fire - while also giving say rF+ and rC- or even rF++ and rC-- (based on form, dont really know what would be appropriate for Earth and Air forms) depending on how balanced the rest of the spell is. I think this would open up the transmutations school a bit earlier to casters and makes the earlier levels in it until lichform is castable more meaning as well as allowing transmuters to transition into combat casting instead of relying more on buff spells for combat. It would probably be something like a 5th or 6th level spell and purely transmutations (as it necessitates training another elemental school by virtue of how the transformation works). Thats all I've thought of at the moment, any opinions?

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 22:26

Re: Tentative Proposal- More casting forms

I think the idea of transmutations that are useful for something other than melee combat is a reasonable thing to explore. For this specific idea, I worry that introducing yet another enhancer is too much. In all seriousness, I wonder if you couldn't turn something like present djinni into a transmutations form.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th August 2013, 23:07

Let it work like summon elemental, where you have to find some of that element to make it work. So it's better for some elements than others, and position matters more.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 02:32

ackack wrote:. In all seriousness, I wonder if you couldn't turn something like present djinni into a transmutations form.

Something like:

Spectral form (name subject to change) - Level 6 Transmutations

You assume a spectral form of pure energy, trading physical vitality for increased energy available for use in spellcasting

Gain the Ep effect from Djinni race (without the 2x cast cost)
-20%hp (to compensate for the lack of 2x cast cost)
reduced (but still existant) spell hunger
melded boots(?)

so an XL 13 deep elf wizard with 10 Spellcasting would have 0.8 * 0.8 * (6 + 11*13/2 + 2*13/8) = 52 + 25(I think not really sure how the mp formula works) = 77 Ep
That seems ok, might be a bit low, and when the form ends the remaining Ep should go into Hp first then mana if there is any left over.

This seems like something that you wouldnt want to use all of the time and enhances your spellcasting enough to make it worthwhile as by the time you get it you can cast a fair amount of mid level spells at the cost of being very weak when the spell wears off yet wouldn't make you tanky beyond all reasonable expectations

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 16:37

Maybe give a transmutation spell which turn you into undead and removes spell hunger completely... oh wait that already in the game.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 17:23

Necromutation certainly qualifies, but it's a two-school level 8 spell. Something a little lower-level would certainly be appreciated:

Awakened Form - Level 7 Transmutations / Charms. Grant a rank of Wizardry, recover MP as though under the effects of Ambrosia, MR reduced to 1/3

Resplendent Form - Level 5 Transmutations / Fire Magic. Raises MP cost of all spells by 1, grants a moderate boost to spell power, adds TSO-style Halo aura

Spellslick Form - Level 7 Transmutations / Charms. Grants Weakness, raises MP cost of all spells by 1, reduces base delay of all spells by 2 AUT.

Feel free to point out horrible imbalances here :P
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 17:41

And the piece de resistance:

Giant Orange Brain Form: Level 9 Transmutations. Melds all equipment except caps and wizard hats, +27 Intelligence, flying, can't open doors, replaces attacking with Shadow Creatures.
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 19:42

Perhaps something like the following?

Leyline Tap: Level 4(?) Charms/Transmutations. You meld temporarily with the dungeon floor, becoming unable to move (and immune to being knocked back by trampling creatures) - obviously, this spell can only be cast when not flying. Your newfound connection with the world around you ensures that you recover an extra 2 MP every turn, on top of your usual mana recovery. Unlike most transformations, this one cannot be ended prematurely without risk - attempting to detach from the leylines without letting the spell run its course triggers a magical explosion, with size and power depending on the remaining time, that damages you and possibly any nearby creatures.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 20:44

RandomEntity wrote:Perhaps something like the following?

Leyline Tap: Level 4(?) Charms/Transmutations. You meld temporarily with the dungeon floor, becoming unable to move (and immune to being knocked back by trampling creatures) - obviously, this spell can only be cast when not flying. Your newfound connection with the world around you ensures that you recover an extra 2 MP every turn, on top of your usual mana recovery. Unlike most transformations, this one cannot be ended prematurely without risk - attempting to detach from the leylines without letting the spell run its course triggers a magical explosion, with size and power depending on the remaining time, that damages you and possibly any nearby creatures.

This seems like more the right type of idea.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th August 2013, 21:28

RandomEntity wrote:Perhaps something like the following?

That's pretty cool actually. But it seems worse than Sub. Blood, a lower level spell. Maybe Leyline Tap should also act like a spell enhancer (like Archmagi) while active?

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 04:44

I'm glad that the thought is appreciated. I'm afraid that my instincts on balance are rather sketchy at best - I still seldom get as far as the Lair, and my understanding of the game as a whole is consequently limited. A more general buff to spellcasting success and/or power, an increase in the amount of mana recovered, or perhaps other benefits that I've not yet thought of could be good ways to modify the spell. Increasing the mana recovered or lowering the cost of spells while it's in effect seems like a good idea, as otherwise it generally costs you potential flight options and offers no benefit for two turns, making it pretty clearly underpowered.

EDIT: On reflection, I like the idea of decreasing spell costs a good deal, because I don't think any other game element has yet explored that idea, and because depending on how it's implemented it seems like it could encourage interesting decisions/behaviour, depending on how the reduction was implemented. A flat reduction gives a lot of emphasis to low-to-mid-level spells, since they would get the largest proportional decrease, while a fractional reduction would tend to encourage higher-level spells (probably less interesting, since high-level spells are already generally preferable).

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 18:28

Vehumet used to decrease spell costs of spells level 5 or higher, by one mp. I'm not entirely sure why it was removed, but it was nice. If it was flat reduction, even on lower spells then level 1 spells become free. A percentage reduction would be weird since we're dealing with small integers.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 17th August 2013, 19:15

1010011010 wrote:Vehumet used to decrease spell costs of spells level 5 or higher, by one mp. I'm not entirely sure why it was removed, but it was nice. If it was flat reduction, even on lower spells then level 1 spells become free. A percentage reduction would be weird since we're dealing with small integers.
elliptic wrote:Remove Vehumet's MP discount for supported L5+ spells.

The sharp cutoff between L4 and L5 never worked very well; why would you ever
use a L4 spell if you could just spam fireballs for 4 MP or L6 spells for 5
MP? This ability created an artificial change in spell balance for Vehumet
characters, so let's remove it for new Vehumet.
If the from caused a flat MP cost reduction that didn't distinguish by spell level I think it wouldn't have this problem (I do like the idea). I'd also make it reduce other MP costs for God abilities or Evocable items, so that it'd have a bit more utility.

On that note, what about a form that reduced Piety costs for Invocations? We don't have anything that messes around in that space.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:

Return to Game Design Discussion