Make holy wrath auto-id'd for vunerable species.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 14:02

Make holy wrath auto-id'd for vunerable species.

Reason: it hurts.
Also because realising this decent melee guy able to 2-hit you isn't fun. Especially only when first humiliating hit landed already.
And treating any decent melee guy with shiny gun as HW-wielder is kinda tedious.

Dont forget about perfect flavour. If some weapons can rape you with sheer holiness, you surely would feel their presense.
What would be fun is a God who uses piety like a fighting game style super meter. Piety decays rapidly outside of combat, builds up during fights, spend it for secret techniques and super moves.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 14:15

Re: Make holy wrath auto-id'd for vunerable species.

This is one of the reasons to choose Ash. I get the annoyance though, but that's just one of the caveats of playing evil I guess!
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 14:32

Bim wrote:This is one of the reasons to choose Ash. I get the annoyance though, but that's just one of the caveats of playing evil I guess!

I thought up-to-150% additional damage is enough of caveat.

Wait.
Does weapon brand multiply monster's dmg rating? Or only weapon base dmg?
What would be fun is a God who uses piety like a fighting game style super meter. Piety decays rapidly outside of combat, builds up during fights, spend it for secret techniques and super moves.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 14:51

Then up-to-150% much more dangerous than electrocution's up-to-24 after some moment.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 14:55

WildSam wrote:
Bim wrote:This is one of the reasons to choose Ash. I get the annoyance though, but that's just one of the caveats of playing evil I guess!

I thought up-to-150% additional damage is enough of caveat.

It is, but pre-identifying it is a bit much the other way. I could almost imagine a partial identify when it's close (within two squares) a sort of 'you feel a strong holy aura' but, as mentioned, elec and distortion are much worse, and we wouldn't identify them.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 15:03

WildSam wrote:Then up-to-150% much more dangerous than electrocution's up-to-24 after some moment.

If you're not using your escape mechanisms to get away from dangerous things later in the game then obviously you deserve to die, yes.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 25th May 2013, 16:38

The point of monster holy wrath from the vulnerable species point of view is that it is dangerous. It's actually pretty fun when, say, a vault guard is actually inflicting damage on your melee character. So let's not make it less dangerous by adding some strange exceptions for no reason.

Return to Game Design Discussion