Cheating Trapdoor spiders

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 05:22

Cheating Trapdoor spiders

So, I was recently playing a VpEn and got Spider nest and was continually frustrated by Trapdoor spiders. My tactic for almost everything in spider was EH -> stab (or confuse ->stab) and consistantly (~%50 of the time) trap door spiders would 1. fall asleep 2. hide under the floor. 3. pop out from under the ground the very next turn and bite me and unable to EH'ed. the average time for things asleep when i EH'ed them was 5 turns (always >1) so the hiding has killed the enchantment. I'm not sure why this was happening. For what it's worth i've had some other odd encounters with trapdoor most notably poping out from under the ground while it was asleep (spawned asleep not EH), though that was some time ago. I'm on 0.13-a0392-g85ae4b4 that I built but I haven't touched anything to do with ENCH_* or monsters. Is this a bug or is it supposed to happen?

I've got nothing againts hiding under the ground, it is a good tactical suprise, just not when ive just put them to sleep.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 05:54

Re: Cheating Trapdoor spiders

thanks, it is annoying. Though nothing is going to beat the hilarity of "A trapdoor spider leaps out of its hiding place under the floor". Fast asleep. :D 'cept maybe torment immune ballpythons.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 06:06

Shouldn't it be changed so that trapdoor spiders just stay asleep when they are affected by EH? From the sound of it, to me it seems like trapdoopr spiders burrow under the ground while being asleep and then somehow manages to unburrow to appear somewhere else.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 11:18

minmay wrote:Trapdoor spiders have done this since forever

We have very old bugs. Time doesn't magically turn them into features.

and it's been known about since forever

By whom? Has it been reported?

probably not a bug. It is stupid though!

How can you think it's not a bug? Trapdoor spiders hiding when falling asleep is supposed to happen when they are wandering, not when they've just been put to sleep. It is a bug.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 12:10

This reminds me that the interaction between trapdoor spiders and conjure flame is still weird. Currently, you can just lure the spider into the cloud and then press "." a couple of times until it dies. You won't take any damage while the flame is doing its job.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 12:37

galehar wrote:By whom? Has it been reported?

More than once.

The first issue was supposedly fixed. The second one is a separate issue, but the second comment mentions that trapdoor spiders hide after being hit with ME. As metabolic englaciation does not appear to make them hide, I assume this person meant EH.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 13:11

I assume it was during the time where Metabolic Englaciation functioned as mass EH, as it is quite an old report.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 4th May 2013, 13:26

Is the phenomenon of orb spiders taking an extra step after they get EH'd also a bug?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 5th May 2013, 02:42

galehar wrote:It is a bug.

I thought it was an arachnid.

Just saying.
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

For this message the author SchwaWarrior has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, TotallyWizard, zrn

Return to Game Design Discussion