How about more "money" tiles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 16:47

How about more "money" tiles

It just occurred to me that one thing that could be more interesting in the game is the money loot. This would be a cosmetic change only, but I think it would make vaults / branch ends look more enticing.

Some ideas:
- Different tiles for different sized piles of gold. So if there are just 0-20 GP, it's a smaller stack than when you find 20-40GP or whatever.
- Same as above, but instead of bigger stacks, you would have tiles of gemstones that are worth different amounts for different sized "piles" of GP. You could just have different coloured rocks for different value ranges and when you pick it up it would say "You pick up a gemstone worth about 37 gold pieces".
- even more enhanced: actually create new items with fixed values. Eg. 1 coin = 1 GP, a ruby = 25 GP, a diamond = 50 GP, etc. Then when piles of "gold" are generated, the game would create them out of whatever denominations were needed to make up that pile, and put the highest-value one on top so the player can see from a distance a rough idea what the pile might be worth without having to mouse over it or whatever.

For all of these, as soon as you pick them up, they just become part of your gold count. It would create visual interest and excitement for vaults.

This is NOT intended to create a Nethack-like game of ID-ing and carrying around piles of precious stones.

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
coyo7e

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 17:42

Re: How about more "money" tiles

I would like to see more money tiles too. Having their graphic based on amount of money makes a lot of sense.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 21:28

Good idea have single coin tile for small amount 1-25g stack of gold tile for higher amount 25-100g and more stacks or pile of gold tile for over 100g.
The flail fails to defends itself.
You open the flail like a pillowcase!!!

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 22:00

I agree on amount of gold dispalyed by coin amount but not "gems" or stones or such.
It reminds me of arcade digger/bomberman etc/ games =)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 22:35

I like the idea of different appearances for different small and large amounts of gold, but I'd go with the simplest version. Have small amounts look some spare change someone dropped, have medium amounts stay the same, and have large amounts look like a pile of coins and gems. Having the appearance actually add up to the amount would just be work that no one really notices; in the time it took to see how much is there, you could have just gone over and picked it up.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 21:04

Might be cool. How would this work out in terms of the console interface, though? Suppose it would be safe enough to just ignore it for that and leave them as standard gold $s.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 22:08

Megabass wrote:Might be cool. How would this work out in terms of the console interface, though? Suppose it would be safe enough to just ignore it for that and leave them as standard gold $s.

Using different colors to signify worth could work, especially if tiles had some gems in them, though colors suggesting different coins could work too (brown for copper, gray for silver, yellow for gold and white for platinum). Messages would need a slight change, perhaps, so it wouldn't suggest that you pick up copper gold ;) to something along the line of "you pick up copper coins worth x gold." or just "You pick up valuables worth x gold." and let the player figure out which color is worth what. Of course, this is just some visual flavour, because I think it's unlikely that anyone ever made a decision in Crawl based upon the worth of a given pile of gold.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 00:09

I don't see why it would matter in console: just leave it the same.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 10:10

I think there's a Crawl design principle that says tiles players should never have more (or less) information than ASCII players... this one seems like a trivial difference, but I reckon they'd stick to their guns on that issue.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 10:18

joellercoaster wrote:I think there's a Crawl design principle that says tiles players should never have more (or less) information than ASCII players... this one seems like a trivial difference, but I reckon they'd stick to their guns on that issue.

Nah. Seriously, not an issue. You can already check the size of a gold pile with Ctrl-X, so we wouldn't give away anything that's not already there. Plus, there's plenty of precedence where tiles allow showing something at a single glance (wielded weapons etc.) where console requires use of e.g. the 'x' command.

Just imagine: in console, all weapons of a skill type get the same colour. You can't distinguish a katana from a triple sword at a glance, or an executioner's axe from a handaxe. :shock: Compared to that, gold amounts are peanuts.

I like the suggestion. Whether the high value piles should include gems depends on the result (i.e. how it looks), but I think it might be misleading.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 10:21

jpeg wrote:You can already check the size of a gold pile with Ctrl-X

Haha. Something new, every day.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 22:32

Yeah, I knew that. I just think this would give more visual pop to loot chambers - right at a glance you get a sense of how "rich" it is.

Return to Game Design Discussion