Brogue Style Following

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 03:37

Brogue Style Following

I'm not sure if this has been talked of much or not but Brogue simply deals with enemies following you between floors better than Crawl does. The current implementation isn't intuitive and can quickly degenerate to stair dancing. Is this topic worth discussing at all?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 03:39

Re: Brogue Style Following

What this would lead to is dragging entire floors of enemies towards staircases that end/begin in a corridor. Wide open levels would become trivial, because the combat could be dragged to another more claustrophobic level. In brogue, you don't even need a corridor, since enemies can't attack diagonally under certain terrain circumstances. crawl light has brogue style pursuit, and it can be heavily abused in this manner.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 07:49

Stair dancing isn't a very good tactic anyway, since in many situation it means taking hits for 2 turns from all sides. While it can be useful, the situations where it would in theory help most - ie many dangerous monsters - are simultaneously the ones where it's the most dangerous. Sometimes it is still useful, like on V:5, but I think what twelve describes is a much stronger tactic. Basically stairdancing where you are not exposed to hits.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 3rd May 2013, 11:04

Brogue has a very tight food clock so lots of things work there that wouldn't work at all in Crawl.

Return to Game Design Discussion