A question on permadeath

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:03

A question on permadeath

First, I would like to make sure that no-one mistakes this for a suggestion to remove permadeath or something stupid like that. Rather, I am curious as to what brought about certain features.
More specificly: Why Permadeath?
I've only heard two reasons for it, and neither of them seem to hold up too well:
1) There's no tension if there's nothing to loose, and if there's no tension, there's no fun.
While this makes sense at first glance, every game out there that isn't a roguelike lacks permadeath and they're still fun.
2) Rogue did it.
This one doesn't make sense at first glance. A large portion of Crawl's fun comes from things that other roguelikes lack, such as being playable without doing any grinding.
I was wondering if someone could clarify a bit for me. I'm new to the crawl community, so there's a good chance that there's some reason I know nothing about.
Thanks in advance.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:14

Re: A question on permadeath

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=What_a_roguelike_is

You can ask "why?" about any of the features of roguelikes, and many different RLs do depart from the basic definition in some way or another, but if you have no "Game Over" in your game, it's not a RL anymore, IMO. Other games may be fun, but I don't go back to them repeatedly once I get to the end. It's permadeath that has kept me playing RLs for almost 10 years straight even though I've all but abandoned almost all other computer gaming. Without permadeath, these would just be cheesy indie turn-based games.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:28

khalil wrote:1) There's no tension if there's nothing to loose, and if there's no tension, there's no fun.
While this makes sense at first glance, every game out there that isn't a roguelike lacks permadeath and they're still fun.

Well, nobody has ever claimed that it was the only way to have fun with a video game. Fun is very subjective, and different people enjoy different kind of video games. Other kind of video game use different kinds of mechanism to create the fun. Sense of progression is a powerful one. With level up and loots, you can have people spend hours (and money) doing the same thing over and over (farming) just to improve their characters.
Roguelikes uses a different mechanism. Permadeath creates tension. Every decision is made more significant because you have to suffer the consequences. Death is frustrating, victory is exhilarating.
Some people only start playing seriously after their character has reached a certain point. They say that if you die after 10 minutes, you can just start again. And for some reason, this is the same people who find the early game boring. Without permadeath, there's no tension. Without tension, the game is boring, there's no fun. Anyone who has ever tried playing in wizmode or save-scumming has experienced it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:29

It's probably possible to make a rogue-like that doesn't use permadeath.

A big part of Crawl is accurately making risk assessments over and over. If you take away permadeath, you take away the penalty for taking dumb chances, and you take away the incentive to make the risk assessment correctly. Then the thrill you get from succeeding is diminished. A rogue-like that didn't use permadeath would probably revolve around something other than risk assessment.

Other non rogue-like games often offer things like challenges to dexterity (almost any real-time game), or puzzle-solving, or roleplaying, or the ability to play against other human opponents.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:39

I'm thinking Crawl would probably be better if it offered a first person perspective and we could use twitch skills to defeat opponents.
kekekela is my in-game name

For this message the author battaile has received thanks:
brendan

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:54

khalil wrote:2) Rogue did it.

If you look back further in computer game history, you'll start asking a different question: "Why not permadeath?"

I started playing computer games on the ZX Spectrum. Back then there were basically no games that didn't feature permadeath. The ability to save your game more-or-less didn't exist (a notable exception I can recall was something called Out of the Shadows, a very old RPG game with a number of things in common with what we'd now call Roguelikes, but saving your game was not an easy operation since it involved recording the save data onto an audio cassette tape...)

So basically from my perspective, the ability to save and load your progress easily and at will is an extremely recent development in the computer game world, and in my experience not one that has in any way made games more fun. There's zero actual challenge if your character is effectively immortal. Sure there are exceptions like, "how fast can I beat this level? how high a score can I get?" but those sort of metrics hold limited entertainment for me. The first time I beat Crawl felt like such an enormous victory, and it'd be impossible in my opinion to replicate that feeling in a game without permadeath.
Last edited by mumra on Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks: 3
dassem, Golden_Eye, n1000

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 16:54

khalil wrote:There's no tension if there's nothing to loose, and if there's no tension, there's no fun.

While your language is imprecise and wrong (every non-roguelike game does not lack permadeath, and every non-roguelike game is not fun) your logic is also messed up and wrong. There are fun non-roguelike games that possess many features that crawl does not, such as

• 3D graphics
  • narrative and plot
  • macro- and micro-managed city building simulation
  • collectable collecting
  • rhythm-based gameplay
Just because these things exist does not imply that crawl would be better off if it adopted them. This is a common fallacious line of thinking that keeps coming up in this forum: "other game x has this mechanic y, and game x is fun, so crawl would be more fun if it included mechanic y." No. You can take your pick of which logical fallacy that statement commits, but it's just not true.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 17:48

khalil wrote:Whassup with permadeath?

Aside from the other reasonable points which have already been raised, Crawl was designed to be fun considering that it's a game with permadeath. If you eliminate permadeath, the things that make Crawl fun stop being fun. The game becomes "alternate holding tab and o until you win".

That said, if you really would prefer Crawl w/o permadeath, you already have the option to play without it, either by save-scumming or using wizard mode.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 18:14

minmay wrote:most popcap games before bookworm adventures have permadeath

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 20
evilmike, Galefury, Grimm, mrbobbyg, mumra, MyOtheHedgeFox, njvack, rebthor, ryak, tcjsavannah and 10 more users

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 19:57

mumra wrote:
khalil wrote:2) Rogue did it.

If you look back further in computer game history, you'll start asking a different question: "Why not permadeath?"

I started playing computer games on the ZX Spectrum. Back then there were basically no games that didn't feature permadeath. The ability to save your game more-or-less didn't exist (a notable exception I can recall was something called Out of the Shadows, a very old RPG game with a number of things in common with what we'd now call Roguelikes, but saving your game was not an easy operation since it involved recording the save data onto an audio cassette tape...)

So basically from my perspective, the ability to save and load your progress easily and at will is an extremely recent development in the computer game world, and in my experience not one that has in any way made games more fun. There's zero actual challenge if your character is effectively immortal. Sure there are exceptions like, "how fast can I beat this level? how high a score can I get?" but those sort of metrics hold limited entertainment for me. The first time I beat Crawl felt like such an enormous victory, and it'd be impossible in my opinion to replicate that feeling in a game without permadeath.

I suppose that's where our points of view differ. I've always felt that permadeath seems a bit cheap, especially when my wizard walks down the stairs into the maw of a six headed hydra. I have played a couple of games from that era (and before that), but they were all zork style text adventures, where saving consisted of typing save and hoping you hadn't made the game unwinnable.(Douglas Adams, I'm looking at you.)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 20:17

khalil wrote:I've always felt that permadeath seems a bit cheap, especially when my wizard walks down the stairs into the maw of a six headed hydra.

Crawl's design aims to avoid unavoidable instadeaths. I think it's extremely likely that you're either exaggerating or that there was a way of avoiding death that you just didn't think of.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 20:27

mumra wrote:
khalil wrote:I've always felt that permadeath seems a bit cheap, especially when my wizard walks down the stairs into the maw of a six headed hydra.

Crawl's design aims to avoid unavoidable instadeaths. I think it's extremely likely that you're either exaggerating or that there was a way of avoiding death that you just didn't think of.

It's probably the second. Still, not sure what I was supposed to do when I walked around a corner and found Mennas on Swamp:5. Only encountered him once and I already hate him with all of my hate.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 21:05

I think it makes roguelikes REplayable, but only because it comes in conjunction with randomness and (hard) choices.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 21:15

khalil: As you can see, pretty much everyone around here swears by permanent death. You are free to speculate that those folks have been brainwashed by the developers but there might be a reason why permadeath is regarded so highly in these circles.

Why Mennas hits so hard? He is a character, and you will certainly remember him. You'll feel good when you manage to not-fight him the first time, and you'll feel even better the first time you beat him in some fashion.

If you really would like your roguelikes complete with reloading, then I hear there are some. TOME, Dungeons of Dredmor and others regularly get mentioned when it comes to permalife. I can assure you that Crawl will never go that route. We like our players, and we like 'em dead!
Properly dead, that is, not half dead, almost but not quite dead, undead or let-me-try-just-one-more-time not dead.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
rebthor, ZipZipskins

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 21:18

I agree with dpeg and pretty much everyone else who explained permadeath's value. In virtue of this, I beg delevopers to remove felids once and for all :D
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
rebthor

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 21:20

Permadeath can be super annoying on a game that's not designed for it -- I'd probably feel super pissed if I permalost a MMORPG character I'd spent literal weeks (and literal dollars) on, for instance, or a SimCity I'd been working on for ages, or a game like GTA where dying in hilarious ways is part of the fun. But in a game like Crawl (or other roguelikes), they're balanced around the assumption of permadeath. There aren't really any places in the game where I would feel that I'm putting in too much effort that will come out wasted -- in the end, all I'm doing is murdering letters of the alphabet, stealing their punctuation, and killing more letters of the alphabet, and the biggest tactical decisions I make are based on finding ways to kill letters of the alphabet more efficiently. I don't have to sit down for an hour with a notebook meticulously planning my character build or my SimCity or whatever.

Plus, permadeath has the added benefit that it feels really, really good to pull off some trick at the last moment and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 21:32

khalil wrote:Still, not sure what I was supposed to do when I walked around a corner and found Mennas on Swamp:5.

I should also point out we have a whole board called Dungeon Crawling Advice where you can post your morgue file and ask this kind of question.

Without seeing your morgue I have no idea but maybe:
- Don't go to Swamp:5 if your character isn't capable of dealing with some serious threats
- Quaff speed and run away from Mennas even if your character IS capable of dealing with some serious threats
- Train your skills differently so you can survive and escape these encounters better
- etc.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 21:34

dpeg wrote:I can assure you that Crawl will never go that route. We like our players, and we like 'em dead!
Properly dead, that is, not half dead, almost but not quite dead, undead or let-me-try-just-one-more-time not dead.

I never expected it to do so. I just wanted to know what the thought process behind permadeath was.
To all who responded, thank's for taking time to explain it to me.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 16th April 2013, 23:37

BlackSheep wrote:You can ask "why?" about any of the features of roguelikes, and many different RLs do depart from the basic definition in some way or another, but if you have no "Game Over" in your game, it's not a RL anymore, IMO.

Permadeath is a frequent feature of roguelikes, but I don't think it's a necessary one. I'd argue that Diablo is a RL in pop culture trappings. (Of course, even it includes a permadeath mode). If you started with "no permadeath" as an explicit design goal, I think you could come up with a pretty traditional-looking RL that generated tension in other ways.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2013, 02:00

Thanks for the ZX Spectrum comment. - Me too! :-)

I suspect the real answer is that some people play high-stakes poker not for the thrill of winning but for the buzz of just avoiding a catastrophic loss.

To me, it's the investment in the character that makes the excitement: I am always very busy, so a successful character represents a lot of my free time and probably took me several weeks to nurture. Squeaking through a close call that would have ended his life is exciting. Knowing I could just reload would remove that whole aspect.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2013, 05:48

dpeg wrote:We like our players, and we like 'em dead!

I assume this will be on the promotional material for the boxed version

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2013, 05:58

nicolae wrote:But in a game like Crawl (or other roguelikes), they're balanced around the assumption of permadeath.

I am not sure it can be called "balanced". I play another game (eador.com) where player can have multiple "characters" (even simultanously). When a character "dies", it is resurrected in 2-6 turns (depending on place where it happened) so it is possible to win the game despite every character died at least once. Though usually it does not happen if another player/AI plays it right, partly because the ressurection is very expensive and you lose all army/can lose some equipment.

In crawl when your character dies, it's game over.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2013, 15:30

khalil wrote:Still, not sure what I was supposed to do when I walked around a corner and found Mennas on Swamp:5. Only encountered him once and I already hate him with all of my hate.

If he hasn't cast silence yet (and he usually hasn't on the first turn he's in view) you can just read a scroll of teleport and then start walking away from him. Also, the things mumra said.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2013, 18:19

Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure it can be called "balanced". I play another game (eador.com) where player can have multiple "characters" (even simultanously). When a character "dies", it is resurrected in 2-6 turns (depending on place where it happened) so it is possible to win the game despite every character died at least once. Though usually it does not happen if another player/AI plays it right, partly because the ressurection is very expensive and you lose all army/can lose some equipment.

Yes, that's what permadeath means. What's your point?

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
Sandman25

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2013, 21:43

minmay wrote:I'd argue that Diablo as a roguelike is a nutsack car situation

Someone actually made that game:

http://sos.gd/roadlike/
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 04:01

Sandman25 wrote:
I am not sure it can be called "balanced". I play another game (eador.com) where player can have multiple "characters" (even simultanously). When a character "dies", it is resurrected in 2-6 turns (depending on place where it happened) so it is possible to win the game despite every character died at least once. Though usually it does not happen if another player/AI plays it right, partly because the ressurection is very expensive and you lose all army/can lose some equipment.
r.

I'm not sure if it's perma death. In strategy game you're HP is your army (kind off). So yes you loose a soldier forever (unless you've got real good medics), but you don't loose the game right away, only when you loose all your army/checkpoints.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 05:42

varsovie wrote:I'm not sure if it's perma death. In strategy game you're HP is your army (kind off). So yes you loose a soldier forever (unless you've got real good medics), but you don't loose the game right away, only when you loose all your army/checkpoints.

A more abstract definition of permadeath would be more like "the game is over, with no way to restore from an earlier point, and the only option is to restart from the beginning". Which would apply to, say, Tetris as well as roguelikes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 05:49

and chess

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 05:51

nicolae wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure it can be called "balanced". I play another game (eador.com) where player can have multiple "characters" (even simultanously). When a character "dies", it is resurrected in 2-6 turns (depending on place where it happened) so it is possible to win the game despite every character died at least once. Though usually it does not happen if another player/AI plays it right, partly because the ressurection is very expensive and you lose all army/can lose some equipment.

Yes, that's what permadeath means. What's your point?

My point is that it is not a balanced game where you can meet extremely dangerous monsters who can one-shot you and the game is over after that. Being killed by Lernaean hydra on the same turn you see it is a typical example of this. Paralyze/Confuse from Grinder/Sigmund is another.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 06:06

Sandman25 wrote:My point is that it is not a balanced game where you can meet extremely dangerous monsters who can one-shot you and the game is over after that. Being killed by Lernaean hydra on the same turn you see it is a typical example of this. Paralyze/Confuse from Grinder/Sigmund is another.

Those case are extremely rare or people would never win streaks of 10 or 20 games. When people mention being one shoted as soon as foo come into LOS, it's almost always an exaggeration. When you start asking questions or checking morgue files, you realize there is one (or several) things they could have done to avoid it.
It can happen but it is so rare I don't think it's relevant to this discussion.

From the philosophy section of the manual:

The possibility of unavoidable deaths is a larger topic in computer games. Ideally, a game like this would be really challenging and have both random layout and random course of action, yet still be winnable with perfect play. This goal seems out of reach. Thus, computer games can be soft in the sense that optimal play ensures a win. Apart from puzzles, though, this means that the game is solved from the outset; this is where the lack of a human game-master is obvious. Alternatively, they can be hard in the sense that unavoidable deaths can occur. We feel that the latter choice provides much more fun in the long run.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 06:08

galehar wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:My point is that it is not a balanced game where you can meet extremely dangerous monsters who can one-shot you and the game is over after that. Being killed by Lernaean hydra on the same turn you see it is a typical example of this. Paralyze/Confuse from Grinder/Sigmund is another.

Those case are extremely rare or people would never win streaks of 10 or 20 games. When people mention being one shoted as soon as foo come into LOS, it's almost always an exaggeration. When you start asking questions or checking morgue files, you realize there is one (or several) things they could have done to avoid it.
It can happen but it is so rare I don't think it's relevant to this discussion.

From the philosophy section of the manual:

The possibility of unavoidable deaths is a larger topic in computer games. Ideally, a game like this would be really challenging and have both random layout and random course of action, yet still be winnable with perfect play. This goal seems out of reach. Thus, computer games can be soft in the sense that optimal play ensures a win. Apart from puzzles, though, this means that the game is solved from the outset; this is where the lack of a human game-master is obvious. Alternatively, they can be hard in the sense that unavoidable deaths can occur. We feel that the latter choice provides much more fun in the long run.

Yes, I am ok with permadeath in crawl. Just didn't like word "balanced" :)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 09:42

Sandman25 wrote:Yes, I am ok with permadeath in crawl. Just didn't like word "balanced" :)

I think you misunderstood this usage of "balanced". Saying "the game is balanced around permadeath" is not the same as saying "the game is balanced" or "permadeath is balanced".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 09:47

mumra wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Yes, I am ok with permadeath in crawl. Just didn't like word "balanced" :)

I think you misunderstood this usage of "balanced". Saying "the game is balanced around permadeath" is not the same as saying "the game is balanced" or "permadeath is balanced".

Yes, very probable.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th April 2013, 21:34

mumra wrote:

Yes, exactly. Balance decisions in Crawl are based around the idea that when you die, that's it. Which is why, for instance, no one's added instakill potions to spice up the ID game, and conversely, why there are no amulets of life saving. Taking about balance is meaningless without some metric or standard, anyway -- what metric could you use that would unequivocally regard permadeath as unbalanced (or balanced, for that matter), regardless of player preference?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 14:59

@Khalil:

As someone whose views on the matter somewhat mirror your own, I wanted to mention a couple things on the subject. I like that crawl has permadeath. It gives life meaning. It gives my crawl meaning. It makes 'survival' a laudable goal whereas in most games survival is trivial, etc. In this respect I agree with everyone in this forum. . .

. . . and then I die.

That right there? For pretty much any character of mine who gets as far as the Temple or the Lair, is just a moment of fury and frustration. Watching anywhere from two to eight hours of my day - or possibly three hours a day for a whole week - all going up in smoke. Because of -let's face it- 90% of the time my own mistakes. I mean, yes, sometimes you're dealt a super hard hand. But most the time you do something wrong - like autofight two giant spiny frogs at once while berserked instead of systematically drawing them back to a hallway because: "Fuck it, i'm strong enough, i shouldn't have to worry". Only now you've aggroed a death yak horde . . .way to go einstein. And because you're playing too fast/ not thinking clearly you try to walk away for two turns BEFORE initiating the teleport and realizing you wont run in time, etc. etc.

So I post a morgue file. I bitch about it to my friends. I complain how retarded it is that a game which can take 8-15hours to beat has no save capacity unlike, say, Mario Bros. which can be beaten in <30 minutes easily. And then, when I'm ready, I own up to the fact that it was my loss. It was my mistake, and here's how I can do better next time. Then queue up another. Over time I got better and better at getting to the "take responsibility for your mistake(s)" stage sooner, and won more often as a result.

I do believe that Stone Soup is too long a game to not be able to 'perma-save'. And I'm talking average play of an average player here, I mean, I've personally done a <2hour 3-rune MiBe before and I know that there are times out there that make that look ponderous. But then, asked the simple question: can you think of a better way to do it? I've got no answers. There is simply no way to punish a player hard enough to make death scary other than to threaten him with the loss of his progress that isn't just tedious or functionally the same as killing him.

To retread what's been said before: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a skill game precisely because it has permadeath. If you could save anywhere anytime, it'd just be a horribly subpar, turnbased, grindy-game. For comparison I offer up Mario Bros 3 on the NES vs. the Super NES (AllStars). In the former, at least for players of my skill level, death was always a nagging concern. 1-ups were treasured. The player was legitimately threatened with loss of progress as the game progressed and this made you play harder, more carefully, and smarter. Until you learned about warp whistles :(.

AllStars on the other hand - i'm not kidding here - my brother and I farmed the first world for 'P-wing' items so we could fly through the 8th world to beat the game trivially. We weren't good enough to clear that last world "legitimately" so we found a way to remove the threat, and the permanent save system was the reason we could do that. There's a beautiful quote which I no longer remember in all its eloquence that says gamers tend to be masters at finding the 'optimal' path of least resistance direction of play that will bore them the most and then doing it repeatedly. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (until you've beat the game) doesn't have one. I find this awesome.

On a completely different note, I wanted to give you an internet thumbs-up for the respectful manner in which you broached this extremely touchy subject on this board and your receptive attitude towards everyone's opinion even where you disagreed with them. I admit I hadn't expected it, and wish there was a way I could give you an internet thumbs-up for it.

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

For this message the author BountyHunterSAx has received thanks: 2
ApsychicRat, MIC132

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 15:06

Beautyful post. You really explained the feeling of most permadeath-RL players well, I guess.

For this message the author Frelus has received thanks:
BountyHunterSAx

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 19th April 2013, 22:36

BountyHunterSAx wrote:@Khalil:
To retread what's been said before: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a skill game precisely because it has permadeath. If you could save anywhere anytime, it'd just be a horribly subpar, turnbased, grindy-game. For comparison I offer up Mario Bros 3 on the NES vs. the Super NES (AllStars). In the former, at least for players of my skill level, death was always a nagging concern. 1-ups were treasured. The player was legitimately threatened with loss of progress as the game progressed and this made you play harder, more carefully, and smarter. Until you learned about warp whistles :(.

AllStars on the other hand - i'm not kidding here - my brother and I farmed the first world for 'P-wing' items so we could fly through the 8th world to beat the game trivially. We weren't good enough to clear that last world "legitimately" so we found a way to remove the threat, and the permanent save system was the reason we could do that. There's a beautiful quote which I no longer remember in all its eloquence that says gamers tend to be masters at finding the 'optimal' path of least resistance direction of play that will bore them the most and then doing it repeatedly. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (until you've beat the game) doesn't have one. I find this awesome.

-AHMAD

That is a good point. However, just because that game lacked permadeath and was grindable doesn't mean all games that lack permadeath are grindable.
Since you brought in sidescrollers, I'll pull one of my favorites out: I Wanna Be The Guy!
It has infinite lives, and there is not an inch of grinding to it.
However, I will admit that comparing it to DCSS is a bit apples and oranges, as IWBTG is basically an anti-crawl, reveling in all the cheap deaths. (THE APPLE FELL UP! APPLES AREN'T SUPPOSED TO FALL UP!)
You should still totally try it. It's fun.
http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 20th April 2013, 18:01

Personally, what attracted me to roguelikes is procedural generation, not permadeath. They're very random and that's something I enjoy very much. And of course, the many different combos you can try playing only add to my excitement about the genre.

I've come to like permadeath though. In ToME, I usually play in adventure mode 'cause that game's deaths feel much more unfair than DC:SS. I've come to realise that if I lose a life or two in one of the early dungeons, I just don't feel like keeping the character alive and I kill them off at the Eidolon to start a new one. So in a way, I guess I've slowly become accustomed to permadeath.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 24th April 2013, 19:18

Permadeath works for Crawl because it tries its damnedist to avoid the dreaded Yet Another Annoying Death. There are no nearly-unavoidable insta-kills, such as a Gnome with a wand of death rounding the corner and oneshotting you, poison spikes instantly killing you, and so on (using Nethack examples because I know that well). The game is unpredictable, yes, and SOMETIMES you end up walking down steps right into a hydra, but for the most part you can tell in advance if you should retreat - so long as you can evaluate the situation well.
The abyss isn't a toilet...
Confidence Interval wrote:Though if you find yourself there you may well conclude that you have been emmerded, to misuse a French term.

The sheep explode! Xom roars with laughter!

Return to Game Design Discussion