Distortion IDing

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 06:33

Distortion IDing

Am I the only one who finds the whole unwielding mechanic in combination to unidentified brands more annoying than anything? Detect curse doesn't show anything, so the only way to ID it without wielding it is an identify scroll or getting hit with it by a monster. Weapon switching is crucial, and unwielding means a trip to the abyss 99% of the time, so wielding it may as well be a death sentence for low level characters. I understand the need to balance out its powerful effects, but there's no way to avoid its punishment even if you never had any intention of using it. So I guess what I'm asking is, is this intended to be a more serious "sticky curse" mechanic, or is this behavior that could stand to be changed?

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 15:21

Re: Distortion IDing

It's nowhere near 99% of the time, more like 20%. The other day I removed a distortion weapon and all it does was teleport me across the level - not even gold Glow.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 17:55

Players tend to only remember the worst things that happen to them or exaggerate. IIRC banishment only happens 10% of the time. I once had to unwield a distortion weapon several times in a row for it to banish me in Pan.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 17:56

Tiber I know how you feel, the first half dozen times I unwielded distort weapons I ALWAYS went to the Abyss and ALWAYS died soon after. It's just the RNG having its way with you. Just don't wield-ID weapons until you're past XL 10, or otherwise tough enough to survive the Abyss.

And the first time you, with a feeling of dread, unwield one of the things, and then get only a minor miscast effect...the feeling of relief is intense. :D

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 18:11

Ok, I was using hyperbole. I've only really had an accidental distortion wielding a few times, but every time it's ended with me in the abyss. But, my question still stands. Is the distortion brand unwielding mechanic designed to discourage wield IDing, or is that simply a byproduct of preventing abuse? If it's the latter, does leaving it the way it is add to the game?

And Grimm, I'll probably still just unwield it as soon as I find it. In most cases, I'm more than willing to throw a character to the wall to see what sticks, than to invest more time where I think it will end badly.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 18:21

Is it just me or dose it seem a bit weird that Vamperic Weapons prevent you from equipping them when they can kill you, while distortion weapons don't even offer the slightest warning until it is too late?

'Course distortion weapons don't cause instant death like vamp can, but it sure as hell can feel that way at times.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 18:56

Distortion weapons add a little unpredictable risk to test ID-ing every weapon you come across- risk that you can't trivialize with detect curse, or remove curse. It's there so test ID-ing all weapons isn't a no brainer- for the same reason that we throw some dangerous potions and scrolls into their respective ID minigames.

Distortion weapons are sufficiently rare enough that it's not a major threat though- just an occasional risk. And if you do accidentally stick on to your hand, there's nothing wrong with using it for a while if you fear the abyss. It's really only unfair on a blunt weapon- where you will have to unwield soon to butcher. Then your best bet is to stock up on abyss supplies, remove, and hope for the best.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 20:40

I definitely picked up a non-artifact demon whip of distortion yesterday. I think it came from one of the hell-knight dudes though, and I know they have special weapon spawning rules.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 20:49

If you can take down hell knights, you shouldn't have any serious worry about the side effects of distortion. It's the random pre-Temple kobolds that are plain unfair.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 21:00

I'm pretty sure a quarterstaff is blunt, actually. Or did you just mean maces & flails?

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 28th February 2011, 00:36

I just picked up a +2,0 hammer of distortion on D7 in trunk. Thankfully, I'm following Ash, otherwise I would have succumbed to the desire to know just what the runed part was about.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th February 2011, 04:56

Tee hee - my SpAK took a dagger of distortion off psyche (I thought she just carried chaos weapons?). That should let me clear the Orc Mines, and buy that +5 quick blade I found in a shop, which I will distort once I enchant the heck out of it.

Tee hee.

Return to Game Design Discussion