Fighters start with barding

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 19:15

Fighters start with barding

Of course, it's only if they are a Naga, Centaur, or some future barding race.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 19:32

Re: Fighters start with barding

What's the premise for why Fighters on Naga or Centaur should start with Barding when no other species start with Shoes or even have special considerations for their equipment (outside of perhaps Spriggans starting with a Buckler instead of a Shield)?
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 19:35

Fergy wrote:Of course, it's only if they are a Naga, Centaur, or some future barding race.

Feel free to read the thread in GDD that begins with "You must read this before ..."

IV.Think hard about what it is you are trying to achieve. Proposed changes must be solutions to actual problems in the game, or genuine improvements to gameplay. Give reasons.

Examples of good reasons for new proposals:
___ seems overpowered in situations where ___ because it allows players to ___. I think this could be resolved by...
A lizardman species would be an interesting new combination of such and such attributes and abilites, and fill the following empty niche...

Examples of bad reasons:
Unarmed combat is broken.
A rat species would be awesome.

For this message the author Tenaya has received thanks:
mumra

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 19:38

No.

As Tenaya said, please read the sticky before posting any new threads. (On the plus side I see no reason to bother explaining why this is an obviously terrible idea since there's no attempt to give any reasoning for it in the first place).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
rebthor

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 20:25

Davion Fuxa wrote:What's the premise for why Fighters on Naga or Centaur should start with Barding when no other species start with Shoes or even have special considerations for their equipment (outside of perhaps Spriggans starting with a Buckler instead of a Shield)?

Yes bardings take place of the boots slot, but they are not boots, they are a continuation of the armor slot. With normal shaped races, the armor slot includes a set of leggings. I would imagine scale armor would include leggings of some sort.

Why would a fighter that has his torso covered in +6 ac scale mail leave the majority of his body uncovered? It doesn't make sense to me (in a rp way).

For this message the author Fergy has received thanks:
danharaj

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 20:32

Going down a deep, dark, dangerous dungeon full of horrible monsters to get some supposedly cool artifact which properties or powers you don't even know doesn't make much sense to me (in RP way) either.
I wish you could build a house and start a family in Crawl. Or open a shop. Do something about it, please.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 20:46

That thank was an accident. This proposal has no merit IMO because all it does is arbitrarily buff Naga and Centaur fighters. If your only justification for a gameplay change is "RP" or whatever, then you don't actually have a justification.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 20:56

I don't think fighters should start with them, but adding barding to another class could be an interesting way of differentiating a class. Naga/centaur barding normally only comes late-mid game, and is much rarer than other armours. A game without snake pits can often lead to no barding until quite late (I didn't find one in my last naga game till around lvl 20) Yes, you do normally get advantages for the races which need them (speed for centaurs/stealth for nagas) so there is some balance, but still, it might be worth it for differentiation.

How about if this wasn't for fighters, but for artificers (as in, they're a very prepared class - having already brought wands with them) that makes sense in an 'rp' way (not that anything else does or it should matter) but they also don't have anything that exciting about them anyway. This could go to a different class, it doesn't have to be artificers, but I could see it would be an interesting way to branch out.

It's really not a terrible idea to have it as a starting 'gift', although it could have done with some explaining why it's a problem to start off with.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 22:24

I think maybe if you pick the Heir talent you should start with a barding of running, which you can then bless to move EVEN FASTER.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks:
pivotal

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th April 2013, 22:25

Fergy wrote:Yes bardings take place of the boots slot, but they are not boots,

can you tell the devs this so that ^f "boots" stops finding bardings thanks in advance

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
pivotal

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th April 2013, 00:47

mikee wrote:I think maybe if you pick the Heir talent you should start with a barding of running, which you can then bless to move EVEN FASTER.

But only if you play a bard.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th April 2013, 01:04

I think a gentle euthanizing will serve this discussion best.

Return to Game Design Discussion