Suggestions regarding chunk management

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 03:55

Suggestions regarding chunk management

Inspired by the discussion near the end of the "What in crawl isn't fun" thread. The ideas follow in increasing order of radicalness.

For me, one of the most annoying aspects of the food system is chunk management. Even though they eventually rot away, you've still got multiple chunks from multiple enemies in multiple states of decomposition (normal and rotted) clogging up your inventory. Is there really a reason to distinguish which enemies these chunks came from? There's no difference between eating a bat chunk and a rat chunk. Your inventory should just aggregate all chunks of a common status into single stacks, so you only might have a stack of regular chunks, contaminated chunks, and maybe rotted chunks.

Second and slightly more radical - condense all chunks you have into a single stack (meat chunks) that keeps track of the counts of each type of chunk. The chunks can always be ordered in terms of their appeal (normal > contaminated > all others, rotted > normal > contaminated as a ghoul, etc), so it's not a problem to only present the user with the most appealing chunk in the stack (still reporting the counts of each type of chunk you've got, maybe when the stack is inspected). An exception to this is mutagenic chunks, but they could just be handled in a separate stack.

Finally, how about just getting rid of chunks altogether? 95% of the time, a player's use of chunks consists of butchering an enemy, eating all of the chunks from the enemy that they can, and moving on. When butchering an enemy, why not just allow for this process to happen automatically ("Would you like to butcher and consume the meat from this corpse?")? This would get rid of a lot of the keystrokes involved in the normal process (butchering, eating chunks individually, all of the inventory management related to chunks). Corpses would essentially produce virtual chunks that are immediately consumed by the character - trolls for example will basically eat until the supply is exhausted, while other characters will eat until not hungry (just imagine the leftovers from a corpse are discarded). The process would be very similar to how a vampire drinks blood, except that butchering tools would still be required.

Here are some aspects of gameplay that are and aren't affected:

-RE: Chunk types. You could get the same gameplay effects by applying the properties while you're eating "virtual chunks" from a corpse. Some of the mechanics would have to change slightly, as you're eating all of the chunks in one go vs. one at a time. Sickness and nutrition gained from eating a contaminated corpse would follow some sort of continuum.
-Sublimation of blood. Perhaps allow the spell to work on corpses. Some rebalancing would be required here since you couldn't just have sublimation on a corpse equal the sum of casting sublimation on each of the chunks that'd result (giving a full MP bar in one turn, say), and there's still some annoying inventory management involved (could be resolved by merging all corpses into a single stack of flesh). One way to balance it might be to have the spell automatically convert corpse flesh in the inventory into MP over a number of turns, sort of like MP bar regeneration that's fueled by corpse weight your inventory (consuming the weight as it goes, with limited duration).
-Time spent consuming multiple "virtual" chunks. You would be interrupted if anything interesting were to come into view. You could either resume your consumption where you left off, or have the rest of the corpse go to waste (as with vampires).
-Certain aspects of chunk management. Carrying chunks for later use, so that you have a buffer in case you fall into hungry, or really need to cast lots of spells or berserk. It's true, these sort of things would be totally gone, and it's probably the biggest loss from this system. Could be made up for by carrying corpses. Corpses are less granular in weight than chunks, so corpse management might end up being even more annoying than chunk management. Initially, I was thinking that carrying corpses around would be impractical enough that no one would bother doing it, but that's probably not the case. Unfortunately, I think this point alone probably kills this idea, unless you just completely forbid the picking up of corpses...

In retrospect, I think I like idea #2 the best (merge all chunks into a single stack). Although it'd be nice if the interface provided an easy way to instantly butcher and consume all chunks from a corpse.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 04:45

Re: Suggestions regarding chunk management

You need chunks for sublimation of blood, so it still needs to be possible to carry them.

What I wouldn't mind is if chunks were auto-dropped as soon as they are no longer useful - if you don't have saprovore or sublimation, this is when they start to rot.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 04:50

On merging chunks, distinguishing them is important for simulacrum, but other than that I agree it would be nice.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 05:13

With merged chunk stacks, would the game be able to remember how old each chunk is?

Actually, if that is hard to do, an elegant way to handle that would be to just give chunks a "half-life" like radioactive isotopes (50% degrade in X # turns).

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 05:17

Incidentally, this is a good idea just like getting rid of racial ammo - it's an even less relevant distinction whose only effect is to clutter up the inventory.

TGW

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 07:06

danr wrote:With merged chunk stacks, would the game be able to remember how old each chunk is?

Think potions of blood.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 12:06

At least autodrop of unwanted chunks should be an easy improvement.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 28th February 2011, 06:08

To give a few more details on this, I imagine that the color coded counts of each chunk type would appear next the chunk stack entry in your inventory:

f - 5 chunks of flesh ( 1 / 2 / 2 )

Then, on inspecting the item, you can see the exact identities of the chunks:

f - 5 chunks of flesh

A piece of meat found in the dungeon. It looks rather unpleasant.

1 chunk of bat flesh
2 chunks of hobgoblin flesh
2 rotting chunks of orc flesh

Chunks of this type may occasionally cause sickness
These chunks are rotting away before your eyes. Eating them is completely out of the question.

The interface for the simulacrum spell would have to be revamped, but I could see a cast of the spell just presenting you with a menu that lets you choose from the chunks that you have.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 27th March 2011, 01:00

dpeg wrote:At least autodrop of unwanted chunks should be an easy improvement.

Maybe put it as an option setting? Rotting chunks can still be used for sublimation of blood.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 12:53

hxy wrote:
dpeg wrote:At least autodrop of unwanted chunks should be an easy improvement.

Maybe put it as an option setting? Rotting chunks can still be used for sublimation of blood.

Potions of blood work for sublimation, right? Can everyone get the ability to create potions of blood if chunks are removed entirely? Make it an item or low level spell if needed.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 28th March 2011, 12:58

jejorda2 wrote:Potions of blood work for sublimation, right? Can everyone get the ability to create potions of blood if chunks are removed entirely? Make it an item or low level spell if needed.

What are you talking about? We are not removing chunks.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 01:30

To expand my chunk merging suggestion a little more with some cases I didn't consider:

-Using simulacrum. I could see the spell presenting you with a selection of chunks to animate from your inventory (enter selects previously animated chunk type). This wouldn't be much more work than wielding a chunk stack (as now), and might even be slightly more convenient.
-Dropping chunks. In nearly all cases, if you're going to drop n chunks, you're going to want to drop your n least desirable chunks. The exception is a simulacrum user. It seems pretty awkward to base an aspect of the interface on whether or not you've learned a spell, but the easiest thing to do would be to present an additional menu upon selection of the chunk stack that allows you to select which chunk types you wish to drop. It'd be better if the drop screen automatically expanded your chunk stack (for simulacrum users only?), but you would run out of letters with which to drop things. I suppose you could actually bind the chunk types to the capital letters starting from A.

It might seem like a bad idea to give simulacrum some slight interface clunkiness, but I think it's worth it to make the common case (all characters without simulacrum) worth it.

Return to Game Design Discussion