Small Ash interface improvement

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 12:27

Small Ash interface improvement

It would be nice when a skill with Ash's skillboost reaches 27, you got a question wheter you wan't to change training setup, since you may not want to improve it further (which only will has an effect if you uncurse some stuff or abandon Ash)

Or are there some simple option I'm not aware of? Maybe than it should be the default.
Last edited by sanka on Monday, 8th April 2013, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 13:35

Re: Small Ash improvement

I'm not at all clear on what you mean by "change training setup". It sounds like you want to freeze your skills or something, but I don't see why that would be good.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 14:03

I think what sanka means is that when you're bound you get a skill boost to whatever slot (say axes), but it doesn't ask you if you want to choose another skill once you get to 27 skill with it bound - it instead just keeps on training even though you''re not getting any benefit (other than if you uncursed yourself).

I do think this is a good idea, because sometimes when you're training your main weapon skill up to max, you forget to keep checking back to see if it's reached maximum level whilst bound, and you're not actually getting any benefit if you know you're not going to uncurse yourself.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 14:09

I see. Seems better suited to an interface improvement than a god ability.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 7th April 2013, 14:17

BlackSheep wrote:I see. Seems better suited to an interface improvement than a god ability.

Maybe just "Your divinely-improved <X> skill has reached level 27; Ashenzari can improve it no further. --more--"

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 07:43

Re: Small Ash interface improvement

I imagined an interface improvement of course, sorry for not being clear enough. I tought that mentioning a possibility of an option (I meant the config options like autopickup, etc.) makes it clear. I updated the title a little bit.

I was not sure if it is possible to put up a "More" prompt now - I could not figure it out.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 07:52

This could be a rules change instead - actually prevent training skills past enhanced-27. (I know that sometimes you might want to. It's OK that you wouldn't be able to without uncursing some stuff.)
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 07:55

Maybe a similar message could apply to Okawaru's heroism:

You reached level 22 at Armour. Okawaru can improve it no further
--more

Edit. Though I think it is possible to customize it using "force_more_message += You reached level 22"
since we know it always happens at level 22.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 07:57

the skill boosts fluctuate depending on cursed slots and also piety, which you lose/spend, so i don't see how you can do this elegantly.

with oka it's even easier, since you want a whole number (22). you can even set up a --more-- for that if you want. (you can also just pay attention.)
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 11:44

In the skill menu, one key activate the "promp mode". When in it you then choose a skill, and enter a number (if nothing it remove previous promp). When the skill reach the number, a promp text appear, (You just reach # skill level in ****, press enter to continue).

But I'm not sure if it's that useful, and the skill menu is already one of the must cluttered.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 8th April 2013, 14:41

varsovie wrote:In the skill menu, one key activate the "promp mode". When in it you then choose a skill, and enter a number (if nothing it remove previous promp). When the skill reach the number, a promp text appear, (You just reach # skill level in ****, press enter to continue).

But I'm not sure if it's that useful, and the skill menu is already one of the must cluttered.

I'd ALWAYS use this prompt mode. In the tide of a tough battle (say, branch ending) it's so easy to forget about your skill training and end up with something like 13 T&D... Yes, paying attention can be hard and unfun. Ash is a special case also, as she has non-integer magical numbers for skill values (like, IIRC, 23.8 to "max" a magic skill with full bound in jewelry) which don't get notified about.
Offline greaterplayer (who cares). I don't always play online, but when i do, i streak felids.
Zot:5 on easy mode video
Double Skullcrusher

Return to Game Design Discussion