Xom Chaos Knights

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:47

Xom Chaos Knights

I see in trunk that CKs are now Xom-only, and have been given +2 leather armour.

Building off another thread, I'd like to ask if consideration was given, or could be given to, providing CKs with chaos-branded weapons. This could either be equipment, or perhaps it could be a god ability to give a temporary chaos brand, if such could be implemented with Xom, or Xom could with great frequency simulate the chaos brand on the player's weapon. Or it could be a common early gift from Xom.

Now, on the whole, I think chaos can actually be a good brand, provided you have means of escape, but most people consider it too dangerous to use - perfect for Xom!

No other class gets a branded weapon, but on the other hand, no other class has a god who is hoping for them to die in an amusing way and actively trying to make that happen. Also, it is regarded as a very mixed blessing as a brand, and probably more dangerous than good.

I assume the +2 leather armour was given to attempt to balance Xom's capriciousness, but to me something that makes the player safer is out of flavour for Xom.

So I suggest trading the +2 leather armour for a chaos brand in some form.

Credit to MrMonkey for brainstorming the idea.

For this message the author danr has received thanks: 2
Curio, pratamawirya

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:52

Re: Xom Chaos Knights

danr wrote:Or it could be a common early gift from Xom.

Um... isn't this already the case? If Xommie decides to grace his precious with a weapon gift, there's a good chance it's chaos. Failing that, there's always Crazy Yiuf (pretty common) or that Xom overflow vault (rarer).

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 04:57

Well, I haven't played Xom at all really. How common is this as a gift? I'm thinking, like, 90% chance of getting it by D:3. Ideally though I'd see it as starting equipment.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 05:39

Well... uh, time for some data! I made a Xomtest character and mashed &X for a while forcing Xom acts.

Took 42 Xom acts for the first chaos brand, which was the 5th gift. 19 Xom acts, 5 gifts, till the 2nd one. 77 Xom acts, 18 gifts to number 3.

So... based off that very limited data, say you get a chaos branded anything every 46 Xom acts. To get one by d:10 then you'd need to get 4 or 5 Xom acts a level. You might be able increase your odds by by doing zany things that make Xom more likely to act, and or by wielding a cursed weapon (so Xom thinks it's funny to gift a weapon you can't currently equip).

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 05:57

Thanks for the number crunching!

So that's not really what I'm talking about, I'm talking about starting equipment or very high chance of getting it very early.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 06:53

Crazy Yiuf seems to spawn in 75% of the games I've played--chaos is actually one of the more common early brands.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 07:30

Chaos brand is useful only for Xom's amusement, attack dangerous enemies and you'll get killed sooner or later. I use Yuif staff on pop corn monsters to please Xom and switch to normal weapon against real opponents. I would do the same with the starting chaos brand weapon

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 00:52

I'm kinda surprised Xom doesn't chaos-brand your weapon at any point.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 01:02

Is chaos brand really that dangerous? It makes many fights a lot easier - you get enemies paralyzed, confused, in addition to the regular brand effects of flame, freeze etc.

Occasionally it heals or hastes an enemy - you just have to remember to be prepared for that. And perhaps that's when Xom will intervene - after all, it's pretty amusing if you haste a troll that you're fighting.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 01:04

jackalKnight wrote:Crazy Yiuf seems to spawn in 75% of the games I've played--chaos is actually one of the more common early brands.

Psyche also has a dagger of chaos.

It would help if CKs / DKs / AKs also had quarterstaves as options, as they don't have shields.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 02:51

I have used it for a spell when I find it, but then I've found better things. The two or three times I did this it didn't kill me.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 09:16

If I go even one day reading the Tavern without seeing a mention of quarterstaves, I'll throw a party. :lol:

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
mageykun

Return to Game Design Discussion