Starting stats weapon choice alterations

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 20:39

Starting stats weapon choice alterations

I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but since it hasn't been changed I will assume not.

I'm pretty sure your starting stats are determined by your race/class choice. This is great and all so that human fighters v human mages (of any type really) see states more ideal to their profession, BUT!!!!

It annoys me that a human fighter, for instance will always have a stat weight toward strength, even if they don't want that. For instance, you have four (coming with what five in the new game?) weapon choices. But really, only two of them make sense. If you pick spears you're going to be harming yourself early game because they're going to be with low str% and therefore your high str isn't doing you any favors.

What I'd rather see is the starting stats based on a combination of class/race and weapon choice. Maybe not a big difference, but if you choose say a human fighter, can't the stats not be closer to even (so far as DEX and Str) are concerned? I realize that str factors heavily into A/C, but version 7 (and 6?) seemed to make armor so badly nerfed that the entire class was ruined, so now with version 8 coming up that at least so far as I've seen with the dev versions, actually gives you more weapon choices (and ones that are better with more dex v str) it would be nice if the default warrior class could choose them without taking an early game hit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 21:14

Re: Starting stats weapon choice alterations

Strength weighting has virtually no impact on your damage output with your weapons. Strength lets you wear heavy armor and carry more stuff, intelligence aids spellcasting, and dexterity improves your evasion. All other effects of your stats are so trivial that you can completely ignore them no matter how you play, at every point in the game.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 26th February 2011, 22:32

Re: Starting stats weapon choice alterations

I didn't know that *u_u*

Return to Game Design Discussion