Time Stop

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 23:35

Time Stop

The staple of high level Dungeons & Dragons arcane magic, Time Stop has not made its way to Dungeon Crawl yet.

The basic idea is that you get a few (2+) free (yet expensive) turns to do whatever you want while everyone and everything else is frozen, possibly with restrictions as to what can happen during a time stop (e.g. offensive spells would also be stopped until the Time Stop expired, their effects only appearing all at once then).

I think it would be an ideal fit, because I always found it very tactical - what do I do with my free (yet expensive) turns to best use them?

Suggestions where such an effect could be used:

• A Level 9 spell. Good for a school that could use some punch. Hexes, perhaps. Spell power could increase the number of free turns you get, starting from 2.
  • God ability. Probably best fit for capstone. Cheibriados is the most flavourful one to go with (and limits the power of the effect, because you wouldn't use it to run away - one ponderous step should probably use up all your free turns). Now, that would make a strong god stronger, but perhaps it would fit if the stat boost went away as discussed in another thread.
  • A card. At power 0 it could give you "back" the time you spent drawing the card (of course, you would still lose "initiative" to monsters) and only really stop the time effectively at higher power.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2011, 02:03

Re: Time Stop

I like it, but it should be based on free -player- turns, not free -game- turns. Difference being speed doesn't have an effect.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2011, 08:45

It has been suggested as a new Chei ability to replace step from time. A patch has even been submitted. However, in the end it was too similar to controlled blink.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2011, 09:37

galehar wrote:It has been suggested as a new Chei ability to replace step from time. A patch has even been submitted. However, in the end it was too similar to controlled blink.

Well, suggested Chei ability only allowed movement. With Time Stop you get to do more, like spellcasting or even attacking.

Return to Game Design Discussion