Poisoner's handbook change proposal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 14:37

Poisoner's handbook change proposal

I have an idea for a change in Venom mages starting book. What I dislike in the book? It almost forces you to become a conjurer, 3 conjuration spells out of 5. One of them, mephitic cloud : 1) trivialize any non poison resistant enemy (meph, then poison to death) 2) Is used by wizards, conjurers, air elementalists, too widely used, IMO 3) technically don't poison enemy, only confuses, but we have young poisoner's handbook.

I propose to remove mephitic cloud from the book and replace it with spider form. Spider form used to poison someone so it's fits to the book, it's tactically useful spell and it allows more strategical variants to develop a venom mage.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 16:38

Re: Poisoner's handbook change proposal

As a spell taken by itself, I like Spider Form much more than MephSpam. It's thematic, relatively powerful, and allows for a variety of tactics (instead of "if not rPois, Spam, Spam, Spam, Eggs, and Spam")

However, Poison goes into Conjurations at higher levels, and taking away an intermediate Conjuration would make getting there harder. Before the Poisoner could branch out from Conjurations, I think you would need some new Poison spells, since branching into a dead end would kinda suck. Also, Meph is THE Poison spell that everyone has; the Poisoner not getting it would be a little strange.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 16:45

Strongpoint wrote:trivialize any non poison resistant enemy (meph, then poison to death)

Well, this is exactly what Venom Mages are about, at least in the early game.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 16:59

dolphin wrote:However, Poison goes into Conjurations at higher levels, and taking away an intermediate Conjuration would make getting there harder.

Why can't you grind with sting? Mephitic cloud isn't casted that often to seriously influence conjurations

Before the Poisoner could branch out from Conjurations, I think you would need some new Poison spells, since branching into a dead end would kinda suck

I branched a lot of venom mages into melee, summoners, transmuters and while I would be happy to see new poison spells, I don't think that venom mage>conjurer is the only way to go

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th February 2011, 20:41

A surprising amount of dangerous early game stuff IS meph resistant. Jellies, Imps (don't laugh), and phantoms are all immune.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 02:45

I want to bump this, because now there are no more mephitic cloud in air elementalist book, and if conurers will become one book class, they may lose the spell, too... If we remove mephitic cloud from venom mage, then mephitic cloud will become wizard-only starting spell

Return to Game Design Discussion