Skill use based training

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 19:59

Skill use based training

I was reading through the development wiki, and saw a long discussion of people talking about ways to remove victory dancing, with some people talking about how as long as there was skill based training, there would always be victory dancing. Posted on there, but then realized discussion was like a year old, but as far as I could tell none of the proposed changes had ever been used.

Still leaves me curious, though: what are the upsides of skill use based training? Have alternatives been considered?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 20:24

Re: Skill use based training

Upside is natural training. You don't have to fiddle with the skill menu, and the skill you use are automatically trained. Except that with the current system with the XP pool, it doesn't really work. The planned system, which I hope I'll be able to implement in time for 0.9, is to remove the XP pool, keep track of the skill used, and automatically train them when XP is gained. And also to add a manual mode, in which you can select the skills you want to train. See this page for details and discussion.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion