Monster spell idea: Stasis

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 13:50

Monster spell idea: Stasis

Thinking about discussions of Haste and Translocation, I had an idea for a monster spell. It'd essentially be a beam-targeted short-duration Stasis cast on the player (or allies); probably 2-5 turns or such.

The effect would be identical to putting on the amulet -- canceling out Haste or Slow (contaminating you when that happens) and preventing translocations. It'd probably need to be irresistable; by the time players can cast Haste they don't get hexed much anyhow.

Maybe something for Vault Wardens -- this would give them a reason to spawn on V:5.

Thoughts?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
dassem

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 13:55

Re: Monster spell idea: Stasis

I like it but I think it would work better as an aura. Moth of stasis?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 14:17

I like the base idea. People are always talking about how haste and translocations is overpowered, and I sort of agree. However, I like the idea of adding counter-strategies better than nerfs or removals. It might even be useful as a player spell as well. That said, I sort of think it should difficult, yet possible to resist. I dislike irresistible effects because "kill the caster" is already the best response to any problem; it doesn't need to be the only response.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 15:22

Why only monsters? I think this would be something that could be used strategically by the player against monsters known to use the relevant charms/abilities (blink frogs, electric golems, anything known to haste itself and/or others).

Of course, this might be problematic if it becomes an aura - the player would basically have on-demand stasis that stacks with other effects (e.g. put on amulet of clarity, cast Stasis, and Rupert becomes trivial to battle); if we wanted to do something with it as a player spell, it might work better as a single-target hex that can't be self-aimed.

Thoughts?

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 15:24

This is pretty theoretical as I know it'd be hard to do, but how about if instead of blocking the effect, the monster came with the player to where ever they teleported/blinked too? This would be good for something like a warden instead of a month as it'd need to be able to do some damage as well. It could block haste/slowing completely though.

I'd also much prefer it to be a LOS (but iirresistable) attack, rather than an aura, as I find them a bit gimmicky.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 15:43

I'd go for there being two versions for monsters and one for players. There'd be an aura that only shows up on some really rare monsters, (Like Meneas's silence aura)* and a targeted version that's more common. The player would just get the targeted version.
*Do note I don't mean put the aura on Meneas, I just mean that monsters with the aura should be about that rare.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 22:07

Tiber wrote:I dislike irresistible effects because "kill the caster" is already the best response to any problem; it doesn't need to be the only response.

In this case, I imagine beam targeting -- so it'd be kill the caster or position yourself such that it wouldn't have a clear shot.

Edit: I do like it as a moth aura, too -- it fits well and then they're also properly thematic for Zot:5.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 22:53

As an idea, what about making this some sort of Melee type attack - similar to how stuff can cause Rot (Necrophage), Diesease (Komodo Dragon), Stat Drain (Quasit), and so forth. If this was done by a Melee Monster, the Response could also include 'Positioning Tactics' while you kill other stuff and then focus on the threat that can cause Stasis. This is sort of what happens for example with other hulking Melee type threats where you stay in Melee Range of popcorn while dancing around them to avoid dying or getting your character caught in a lethal situation.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 00:27

I like the idea of a sort of 'gripping' melee attack that stops any sort of unnatural movement, it'd add some very interesting tactics. I guess there is no reason not to have all three, but it shouldn't become too common or it could become a bit of an annoyance
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 01:13

Oh yes, I like this a lot.
It addresses both the haste and cBlink problems without having to remove or massively change them.
It might also be a good option if teleport control is removed or nerfed.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 08:30

Bim wrote:I like the idea of a sort of 'gripping' melee attack that stops any sort of unnatural movement, it'd add some very interesting tactics. I guess there is no reason not to have all three, but it shouldn't become too common or it could become a bit of an annoyance

The initial implementation of constriction prevented blink and teleport. It was a bit complicated, because sometimes, you would teleport with the constrictor. Now it has been simplified. It doesn't do anything to teleport and prevents blinking. However, blink counts as 2 escape attempts, and since it's usually enough to escape, it might not be really noticeable.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 08:47

galehar wrote:I like it but I think it would work better as an aura. Moth of stasis?

While I agree in theory, we may have reached the saturation point for number of auras.

Maybe a debuff "anchor" that will translocate you back to where you came from after some aut? "You feel a force pulling you back..."

ETA: I don't know why I felt a need to change stasis to delayed-stasis, plain stasis seems fine. I may have been drinking.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 09:39

yogaFLAME wrote:
galehar wrote:I like it but I think it would work better as an aura. Moth of stasis?

While I agree in theory, we may have reached the saturation point for number of auras.

Why? There are 9 types of auras. If you don't count the ones which are player only (orb, sanctuary, quad damage and disjunction), there are 5: silence, halo, leda's liquefaction, umbra and suppression. And they are all relatively rare. So I don't think we've reached any kind of saturation point.I think a moth with a stasis aura would be an interesting monster. I also think a stasis field makes more sense than a stasis status effect.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 10:45

Instead of another moth or similar, I had this idea of a fixedart which generates the aura at all times even when not worn/wielded. This could be an amulet or perhaps a staff; maybe a specific unique could sometimes generate with it. Obviously it would have other properties to encourage wearing it. But as long as it's in your inventory or anywhere in LOS you have stasis so you can't just swap to something else. The only way to get rid of it in an emergency would be throwing it into lava.

Whether this idea is any good or not I will let others decide ;)

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 21st March 2013, 15:30

A stasis aura might be a cool buff to the amulet?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 21st March 2013, 15:35

Galefury wrote:A stasis aura might be a cool buff to the amulet?

I could see this being pretty cool as it seems like it could lead to disto being a more desirable brand for melees. You could still banish stuff w/out having to deal with blinking them all over the place, right?
kekekela is my in-game name

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 21st March 2013, 16:48

sgrunt wrote:Why only monsters? I think this would be something that could be used strategically by the player against monsters known to use the relevant charms/abilities (blink frogs, electric golems, anything known to haste itself and/or others).

Of course, this might be problematic if it becomes an aura - the player would basically have on-demand stasis that stacks with other effects (e.g. put on amulet of clarity, cast Stasis, and Rupert becomes trivial to battle); if we wanted to do something with it as a player spell, it might work better as a single-target hex that can't be self-aimed.

Thoughts?

Melding the amulet slot would prevent this.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st March 2013, 17:28

For an amulet with stasis aura perhaps a "charging up" period should be implemented like this: the aura starts off at zero radius and grows with time until it reaches full LOS. When you take the amulet off the aura similarly withdraws over time. This way it's a strategical choice and you can't just take it off when you're in trouble and need tele or haste.

For this message the author mumra has received thanks: 2
BlackSheep, Galefury

Return to Game Design Discussion