Discussion: Starting gold amounts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 15:58

Discussion: Starting gold amounts

The amount of gold you start with depends on your class. Most start with 20, monks start with 0, healers start with 100 and a few others (e.g. assassin) start with 50. While this makes sense thematically, those seem like very small differences.

I'm wondering what motivated the different starting quantities of gold. It does not have much practical impact, but it's certainly a nice bit of flavour.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 16:06

Re: Discussion: Starting gold amounts

My guess would be it's purely flavor. Gladiators, mercenaries, and minor wizards get paid more than monks, assassins get paid more still, and doctors make the most.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 16:21

I am not sure this has ever been changed -- could be numbers straight from Linley's Crawl. The thematic reasoning is fine; I wouldn't be opposed to multiplying all starting gold amounts by something (say 2 or 4) to make it more meaningful. Not that it really matters :)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 16:29

dpeg wrote:I am not sure this has ever been changed -- could be numbers straight from Linley's Crawl. The thematic reasoning is fine; I wouldn't be opposed to multiplying all starting gold amounts by something (say 2 or 4) to make it more meaningful. Not that it really matters :)

It is if you find an early shop! Find a Distillery and you could buy a bunch of potions you don't have identified to ID them - same with scrolls. Simply being able to buy a non enchanted Lajatang, Large Rocks or Javelins, or some Armor could quickly make things awesome for your character.

With the addition of Mercenaries as well, finding a Mercencary Card from a Deck could mean an early Tengu or Merfolk to help you out a bit. Early Gold can matter if you are lucky enough.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 17:11

dpeg wrote:I am not sure this has ever been changed -- could be numbers straight from Linley's Crawl. The thematic reasoning is fine; I wouldn't be opposed to multiplying all starting gold amounts by something (say 2 or 4) to make it more meaningful. Not that it really matters :)

Were Arcane Marksmen in the original Linley's Crawl? They (along with Warpers, Wanderers, and Assassins) start in the 50-gold income bracket.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 20:03

minmay: shops and bazaars? Slightless less striking, imo, but anyway: troves, acquirement, ziggurats, Zin. Also, there is a gold god proposal that I have high hopes in.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 20:05

Hey, I give you the credit of the doubt, but it's damn hard for to me to figure that out. Doesn't help I'm German, we generally only laugh when we start a war.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 4
Grimm, MIC132, pivotal, rebthor

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 20:16

dpeg wrote:Hey, I give you the credit of the doubt, but it's damn hard for to me to figure that out. Doesn't help I'm German, we generally only laugh when we start a war.

so does that mean world war II was just somebody asking "hey what was that joke you told back in 1914?"

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
rebthor

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 14th March 2013, 23:00

Besides class, the starting amount could also be multiplied by a racial factor, higher for dwarves, elves, tengu, mummy; lower for troll, ghoul, octopode, felid, etc.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 02:09

Did you ever start as a farmer in Oregon Trail? Man that was hard.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 03:08

dpeg wrote:Doesn't help I'm German, we generally only laugh when we start a war.

Someday I will meet you and buy you like ten beers for that :)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion