Dungeon in the Abyss

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 00:57

Dungeon in the Abyss

Last night I pushed a new Abyss level generator. It selects a real level at random and inserts corrupted chunks into the Abyss. I would appreciate feedback on the effect.

Here's an example:
Dungeon:1

Abyss:1

The inaccessible water area is part of the entry vault from D:1.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks:
mumra

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 05:31

Re: Dungeon in the Abyss

Interesting, though it looks a tad small.
But then again - it's the abyss and nobody likes the abyss, so I guess that's good too.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 09:18

I'll have to try it out to be certain but it's going to rely on the random "real level selector" to pick a floor that was memorable. Vaults would be the most memorable but a characteristic (mini)vault in D could be recognisable enough. What would be really cool is if architecture removed with Lugonu's Corruption ability could be encountered down in Abyss.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 14:57

I don't see a problem with this only rarely being noticable. At worst it is simply adding more interesting architecture to the abyss. At best a player might notice a specific bit of geography and think "oh that's where that encounter with [xyz] happened" or whatever, or maybe just get a familiar feeling from a part of a layout but not be sure why. This all still seems fine and thematic.

This new generator also paves the way (with a little extra coding) to generating new Abyss-only layouts in Lua and using them in addition to the pre-existing dungeon levels. This adds much extra flexibility to the procedural layouts that we didn't have before.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 20:37

For flavor, any place where the Abyss is encroaching upon the physical Dungeon to that degree has a much higher chance of having an exit within it? And that exit would actually dump you into the real level location that it was taken from? (That second part has great potential for being a Bad Idea, though the details are not coming to me right now.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th March 2013, 03:26

I like this idea. It should make the abyss more interesting. However, I would sugest
A: Just going for vaults
Or
B: Have a section of each branch down there.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 10th March 2013, 03:02

Stormfox wrote:For flavor, any place where the Abyss is encroaching upon the physical Dungeon to that degree has a much higher chance of having an exit within it? And that exit would actually dump you into the real level location that it was taken from? (That second part has great potential for being a Bad Idea, though the details are not coming to me right now.)

While this could be neat, I think the effort necessary to make it happen far exceeds the payoff.

khalil wrote:stuff about vaults

Keep an eye out for mumra's forthcoming layouts. I think you'll be pleased.

Return to Game Design Discussion