urug - new behavior or change flavor text?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 08:56

urug - new behavior or change flavor text?

Urug's flavor text states that "Urug lost his eye in a fight with a harpy", and that "the vision in his remaining eye is not very good".

I lost a promising character to him recently -- javellined to death -- and it got me thinking: why should a mostly-blind orc be so deadly with ranged weapons? Especially having only one eye...wouldn't that basically eliminate his depth perception?

Should Urug take a big penalty to ranged accuracy? Should he be changed to a melee-only character? Should the flavor text be rewritten such that he's no longer described as ocularly-challenged? Or am I nitpicking too much?

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 09:08

Re: urug - new behavior or change flavor text?

dsirus5 wrote:Or am I nitpicking too much?

this

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 09:09

Urug really needs to keep his javelins. Otherwise he is just a differently-coloured orc knight. If the flavour text bothers people I think changing the flavour text is a better option, especially because few people read the flavour text but most expect uniques to be at least somewhat unique. Even in his current state, Urug is one of the worst uniques.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 13:05

I'd rather see him axed: currently he's just an orc knight who picked some javelins on the floor.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 19:09

nago wrote:I'd rather see him axed: currently he's just an orc knight who picked some javelins on the floor.

I'd actually rather see him expanded, rather instead of him being a Unique, we just get regular Orc Throwers who toss Javelins in your face. I see no reason why in contrast the Merfolk should be the only ones doing so. Another idea might be to have Centaurs doing so, though giving them Javelins might make them far too lethal.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 19:54

Is Orc to early to give melee characters good ranged attacks from javelins? Does that even matter?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 20:18

jejorda2 wrote:Is Orc to early to give melee characters good ranged attacks from javelins? Does that even matter?

Depends on how many Javelins you give them, but if it is an issue just make them spawn after Orc Warriors and before Orc Knights and Orc Sorcerers.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 20:30

I see no reason why in contrast the Merfolk should be the only ones doing so.

Because merfolk have to have some unique property or there is no reason to keep them in the game. Diversity is a good thing (which is precisely the reason why Urug sucks, btw).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 20:42

You already get orcs with stacks of hand axes to throw at you, it just doesn't happen with the orcs who can actually do damage with them for some reason.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 21:42

cerebovssquire wrote:
I see no reason why in contrast the Merfolk should be the only ones doing so.

Because merfolk have to have some unique property or there is no reason to keep them in the game. Diversity is a good thing (which is precisely the reason why Urug sucks, btw).

Merfolks already have racial advantages in the Shoals, the ability to mesmerize the player, a heavy emphasis on Polearms with a touch of use with Sabres, and Aquamancers that have some unique spells. You need a far different strategy to approach them then anything else in game. I don't think the strategy would be anything similar to a band of Orcs with their heavy emphasis on weapons and armor, combined with annoying spells, smiting, and demon summoning; or a Centaur who opts to chuck a few Javelins in an attempt to kill you extremely quickly as opposed to pincushioning you.

crate wrote:You already get orcs with stacks of hand axes to throw at you, it just doesn't happen with the orcs who can actually do damage with them for some reason.

Having Orc Knights and Orc Warlords spawn with Hand Axes of Returning might be interesting.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 15:07

Davion Fuxa wrote:Having Orc Knights and Orc Warlords spawn with Hand Axes of Returning might be interesting.

I would like to die less, not more.
Wins: {SpVM}, {HOFi}, {MfSk, 15}, {MiFi}, {OpWz}, {VpEn}, {KoEn}, {DsFi}, {SpEn}x2, {MiBe}x2, {HEGl}, {VpEn}, {OpEn}, {HOGl, 10}, {DEEn}.
My CAO player page

Barkeep

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 15:28

crate wrote:You already get orcs with stacks of hand axes to throw at you, it just doesn't happen with the orcs who can actually do damage with them for some reason.

Those orcs are smarter and picked up crossbows.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 17:28

To make him a bit more interesting you could make him spawn with nets, and 2d2 (or so) orc warriors (or normal orcs) accompanying him, each armed with axes of returning. This would definitely increase his threat factor, and make the encounter more interesting.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 18:06

I don't think that would increase his threat factor. Instead of throwing javelins (which actually hurt some) he'd be limiting your motion while his band ineffectually throws hand axes at you over and over. Priests would be more threatening. Or warriors with halberds -- but then you're really in gnoll territory.

Hm... a unique gnoll with nets and portal projectile and a band of reaching dudes...?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th March 2013, 18:20

4 orc warriors with hand axes of returning isn't something I would take lightly. I'm not too fond of the possibility of only 2 spawning though - imo if this was implemented 2+1d2 orc warriors (definitely not vanilla orcs) would be a better idea. I like it otherwise though.

Return to Game Design Discussion