God Proposal : God of Self-Affliction / Hunger

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 21:24

God Proposal : God of Self-Affliction / Hunger

I've been hungry a lot in-game and thought it might be neat to have a god for which you gain piety when starving.

A little development time and I transformed him from a God of Hunger into a God of Self-Affliction, when I considered poisoning, rot, sick, etc. might work in the favor as well. I posted him to the wiki here

The focus is a god who greatly rewards risky behavior : the concept is you gain piety by punishing yourself (ala Cheibriados and Ashenzari).

I have not thought long enough about what powers/rewards to grant, but I think he could work well if done right. I am not tied to anything here, but thought this concept might make a good starting point for a fairly unique god, since there doesn't seem to be one done in this fashion. As a group, we could co-opt ideas from other similar, unimplemented/discard gods and put together a good match.

Source gods to compile concepts from could include

God of Self-Affliction

In the same vein as the gods which reward self-punishing (Cheibriados and Ashenzari), Lehvokwin is the god of hunger, poison and disease, rewarding the living who starve, poison, disease, and sicken (and confuse?) themselves towards death.

Appreciates
  • Being in a state of hunger, with piety gain increased based on level of starvation.
  • Maintaining a state of being poisoned, with piety gain based on levels of poisoning.
  • Maintaining a state of sick, with piety gain based on level of illness.
  • Maintaining a state of rot, with piety gained based on level of rot.
  • Being confused (maybe).
  • Increasing a metabolic rate (gain a hunger mutation, remove a ring of sustenance, wear a ring of hunger).
  • Gaining a self-afflicting mutation.

Note: I toyed around with gaining piety when taking damage from external sources, but that seemed like it could be abusive unless restricted to gaining piety when taking a large % of damage that might be potentially death-dealing.
Note: May appreciate poisoning and diseasing others as well, but not to the extent of oneself.

Depreciates
  • Being in a state of full or more, with piety loss increased based on level of satiation.
  • Deliberately healing out of a state of poison, sick or rot (or confusion).
  • Decreasing a metabolic rate (gain a satiation mutation, wear a ring of sustenance, remove a ring of hunger).
  • Losing a self-afflicting mutation.

Note: Piety decreases over time.

Racial Restrictions
No undead.
Racial restriction against undead is an arbitrary assignment, but I think it could be used to explain that this god wants the living to punish itself for being alive.

Abilities
  • Summon Hungry Ghosts - summons a flock of friendly hungry ghosts.
  • Resistances - increasing resistances to heat, cold, electricity and magic

Note: The above are suggestions - I'm not certain what other abilities / rewards to grant. Since hunger/poison juggling is quite risky, I believe abilities granted should be fairly powerful.

Abandonment
?

Penance
?

I would love some feedback.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 21:36

Re: God Proposal : God of Self-Affliction / Hunger

One ability might be speedier magic power regeneration, since that isn't affected by poison/sick/etc.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd February 2011, 23:39

Maintaining a state of being poisoned, with piety gain based on levels of poisoning.

Deep dwarfs that have found sting will be happy ))) As well as trolls, and anyone with regeneration source. To easy to scum imo. And to boring (but optimal) to recast

Being in a state of hunger, with piety gain increased based on level of starvation

spriggans would looooove this, kobolds, vampires and felids, too. To easy to maintain for this races with no real risk

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th February 2011, 03:24

There's also vampires if you want perks from starving.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 16:49

Did anyone notice where I put "no undead" under racia restrictions in the original post?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 27th February 2011, 18:00

I like this. I think this is actually quite interesting.

Abilities could be:
1. resistance to fire, ice, electricity, negative energy (passive, increases with piety),
2. damage shaving (passive, increases with piety),
3. random effects while praying (consumes piety) --> temporary invulnerability, HP recovery, MP recovery, restoration (removing poison, rotting, etc), instant teleportation to a safe place, divine attack to surrounding enemies, etc,
4. turn good potions into bad ones (like Ashenzari's but for potions).

:)

Return to Game Design Discussion