new show_more_threat option

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 11:59

new show_more_threat option

People are often requesting how to have a more prompt when a unique or a dangerous monster comes into view.
There's a solution for uniques, but it's a bit ugly and init file needs to be maintained each time a new unique is added. How about a show_more_threat option? You set it to a monster threat level (harmless, easy, dangerous or extremely dangerous) and it triggers a more prompt whenever a monster with a threat level equal or higher than the option comes into view.
I'm not sure if a specific setting or different option for uniques is really worth it. They are usually extremely dangerous the first time you meet them, and if they are not, then maybe a more prompt isn't needed anyway.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 12:42

Re: new show_more_threat option

This is a much better solution than what I asked in that topic. Hope we get this functionality. :) Until then I'll just have to use the filter I've been using so far. I've updated it today. Here it is.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 12:56

Sounds good. A fixed filter will not be able to scale with your level. Having something that stops you moving when a "red" threat comes into view will be good.

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 13:32

Although there's some edge cases like boggarts, which you may wish to prioritise killing while you're engaging something else and they pop in your LOS but are not considered dangerous by the game on their own, same could go for kobold demonologists and all the other stuff that may be weak but can flood you with summons and whatnot while you were holding TAB.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 15:13

well, you can still use show_more_message to trigger more prompts for specific monsters.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 15:31

I'd really like to have this option!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 20:35

Need to add something for invisible; my current methods also stop the clock on Prince Ribbit and the super annoying multi attacks of the quasit.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 23:57

invisible monsters aren't announced since they don't actually "come into view". Changing that might be tricky. What is the issue you have with Prince Ribbit and quasits?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th February 2013, 00:05

ok, I get it :)
Xuaxua: use ^it

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th February 2013, 01:29

The game already takes a special step of disabling autopickup when you notice something invisible. Would it be hard to make it force a more message too?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 15th February 2013, 08:33

This is a great idea - it's clean and simple. I'll probably stop requesting case-sensitive filters as much.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Return to Game Design Discussion