Proposal: guarantee 10-20 ?/! at Crypt end

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd March 2013, 15:35

Re: Proposal: guarantee 10-20 ?/! at Crypt end

I suggest combining Crypt and Tomb into one six-level-long branch, called the Tomb.

The first four floors would be basically the same as current Crypt floors 1345, with some slight increases in difficulty to address the points made in this thread. The current Crypt 5 layouts would still be used, but the treasure area would have a staircase leading down.

The last two levels would be very similar to current Tomb (no TC), just squeezed into two levels instead of three. I'd also make the difficulty ramp up a little more gradual rather than immediate hordes of sphinx and guardian mummies. The advanced mummy types would also appear singly in the first four levels so players could get used to them.

And since the Hall of Blades was mentioned, make it a vault already...

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 22nd March 2013, 20:51

There has been speculation about reducing Crypt to three levels and placing the Tomb entrance in the Crypt ending (likely to happen sometime during the 0.13 dev cycle), which would have largely the same effect.

Re Hall of Blades, I've heard at least one suggestion of turning it into a serial vault to be placed in late Vaults. I don't really know the particulars of how that would work at present.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 23rd March 2013, 06:25

sgrunt wrote:Re Hall of Blades, I've heard at least one suggestion of turning it into a serial vault to be placed in late Vaults. I don't really know the particulars of how that would work at present.

Half the reason why no one goes to Blade is the lack of loot. The other half is the fact that dancing weapons are among the more dangerous enemies in the game. They're fast, hit hard, lots of ac/ev, resist most magic, etc.. They are not fun to fight. I'd rather we kept dancing packs out of one of the main pathways through the game.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion