Item Destruction

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 14th February 2013, 19:48

Re: Item Destruction

The way it works right now is the most realistic anyway. If you have 10 scrolls A, 5 scrolls B and 1 scroll C you're going to get scrolls A burnt more often because there are more of them. Makes perfect sense.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th February 2013, 08:44

I quite like the idea of giving the player, when hit with an elemental attack, a durational enchantment which makes the destructible items unusable. This is simpler than targeting individual items: I'd imagine I'd feel the need to check my inventory which potions etc were affected, or even drop some useful item on floor to make it available even when encountering such attacks. Putting the enchantment on player rather than the items seems like a simple solution to these potential problems. It's also harsher on the player. (: Plus you can make being in certain locations, such as Coc, Geh and Ice Caves give the player that enchantment. I also liked the idea of electrical attacks disabling your wands. The problem with destructible strategic items also goes away.

I had a similar idea before, but it's more complicated/convoluted: only drinking a potion or reading a scroll makes your potions/scrolls vulnerable to item destruction. The story was that the potion compartment in their backpack has magical protection, which is broken for a while if you open it. This would be a short player enchantment. Thus your consumables are effectively disabled when the possibility of elemental attacks is around, unless you want to risk it. But I think the player-enchantment-when-hit idea is easier to understand and still has less oddities (such as the problem with strategic item destruction).

--Eino

For this message the author evktalo has received thanks:
njvack

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th February 2013, 19:34

ebarrett wrote:If you want inventory realism start asking yourself how you can simultaneously carry up to, say, 52 suits of armour or 52 halberds.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 19th February 2013, 18:56

random item destruction is a terrible mechanic in any game
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 20th February 2013, 03:49

@partial: I think that's an overgeneral statement.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion