vampires shouldn't have to mash 5

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 27th January 2013, 23:21

vampires shouldn't have to mash 5

Why not implement a slit wrists ability or something like that so that a vampire can take satiation down to zero with one click?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 27th January 2013, 23:25

Re: vampires shouldn't have to mash 5

The only reason I can think against this is that so if a tormenting critter comes into view you can't just become immune.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 27th January 2013, 23:28

Or similarly for poison, early game.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 27th January 2013, 23:32

Technically being alive would probably mean the Vampires have some semblance of 'self-preservation' and as such they would try to stay alive, even though they dead.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 27th January 2013, 23:41

Jabberwocky wrote:The only reason I can think against this is that so if a tormenting critter comes into view you can't just become immune.

Then make it take multiple turns, ie

Code:
You begin drawing blood from your body.
You continue drawing blood from your body. x10
You finish drawing blood from your body.
You feel devoid of blood!

Davion Fuxa wrote:Technically being alive would probably mean the Vampires have some semblance of 'self-preservation' and as such they would try to stay alive, even though they dead.

A person is capable of performing (extremely) basic surgery on him/herself. Self-preservation instinct makes it unpleasant but certainly not impossible to do such rudimentary operations as this.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 28th January 2013, 00:06

Seems fine so long as it takes a few turns and is interrupted if you take any damage. Won't work if you're already poisoned and is a major risk if you try doing it with a tormentor on the screen.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th January 2013, 02:25

What happens currently if your satiation falls while poisoned? I assumed it was like swappable sources (rings and such), keeping the poison that has already been applied and only affecting new sources. If so, we don't need the potentially disconcerting rule about poison.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 28th January 2013, 09:39

This is what rings of hunger are for. Also, high spell hunger. Being stuck with blood in your system for a long time is part of the strategic challenge of a Vampire, which becomes much more relevant in Hell than in safe dungeon floors where you can mash 5 without a concern.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 28th January 2013, 16:28

Psieye wrote:This is what rings of hunger are for. Also, high spell hunger.

At near bloodless you don't have any spell hunger. Rings of hunger do help to some extent once you find them.

Psieye wrote:Being stuck with blood in your system for a long time is a part of the strategic challenge of a Vampire only relevant in Hell and Abyss.

ftfy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th January 2013, 19:19

If you mash 5 to get to bloodless you're also rotting any blood you might have in your inventory. This is kind of a big deal unless you're with kiku.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 28th January 2013, 20:08

crate wrote:If you mash 5 to get to bloodless you're also rotting any blood you might have in your inventory. This is kind of a big deal unless you're with kiku.

Interesting...with the proposal, vampires would be able to switch to bloodless while retaining the blood in the inventory. If this is not desirable then I suppose the proposal would be bad.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 28th January 2013, 22:14

I've usually got sif-muna or some other mechanism for rapid hunger-induction at my disposal. But then, that's just me. I *do* like the idea of giving the player the ability to make the choice himself.

A thought?: What if you've got an ability to instantly (or just rapidly) take you to bloodless at the cost of your HP (you're draining yourself is the theme.)

At "ALIVE" status, you don't have the option.
At "Normal" status, it costs 50% of your current hp [[like voluntarily getting tormented]]
At "Thirsty" status it costs 10-20%.
At "Near Bloodless" it's free; since at that point you'd just as likely quaff a new pot of blood later and re-heal yourself.

There are two potential benefits/buffs that being able to go bloodless rapidly offers you: The ability to go immune to torment and doing so while retaining your pots of blood. This price-scheme now gives you a trade-off while doing it. Do you accept a temporary risk, plus the burden of having to deal with some missing HP (since no natural recovery) or do you let it drain off the old-fashioned way?

I think what's most telling is that it's an ability I'd never make use of myself, so it doesn't seem OP. That said, I'm not entirely sure it fixes the problem the OP has in the first place.

A simpler, and probably better, implementation would be to give the player the ability to instantly go to near-bloodless and that's it. That's long enough that you're gonna have some blood-pot deterioration, but simultaneously you're vulnerable to torment for a few more turns. And really, having played a vampire, the only time where the "clock" on blood pots really mattered to me was the endgame Pan/Hells, so I don't really see fifty <-> 100 extra turns making such a huge difference.

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 29th January 2013, 00:25

Slit wrists ability sounds like pretty good idea, for all characters. Sometimes one just doesn't have enough left in them to blink in front of their own OoD, or quaff last lev potion and explore the watery beyond.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 3
crate, njvack, Pereza0

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 2nd February 2013, 12:22

Make sublimation of blood drain nutrition on vampires instead of HP.

Return to Game Design Discussion